It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
(male)

bay7000 HB User
Chest tightness, constricted breathing, strong pounding palpitations day to night.

Primary Root Symptom: morning onset of non-sharp, dull, vague, uncomfortable, achey, centered chest tightness. I feel it around below sternum as well. Short of breath,
airways feel tighter, breathing is more labored. I am more winded with everyday activities, and cardio and exercise are a lot more tougher to peform with
the constricted airways.

Physical Attributes:
30 years old, single male
Parents are healthy, with no coronary disease/high blood pressure
5-6 height
before chest tightnesss 170lbs. currently 149lbs (loss 20 lbs in a month)
do not smoke
drink on occasion once every 2-3 weeks before chest tightness. Do not currently drink alcohol.
don't drink caffeine.
blood pressure was normal before chest tightness - its currently 10-15pts higher ie: 130/88
exercising, and running does not bring sharp pains to the chest, but it makes blood pressure go
up and brings upon shortness of breath due to tightness.
i can do aerobic exercise, but its uncomfortable due to tightness, and i dont
have the same strength as i did before the chest tightness.
sometimes would take naps 2-3 hrs after eating a meal, wake up and start using the computer late at night, and then go back to bed (before chest tightness)
Very minimal and rare heartburn, reflux...once every few weeks depending on diet.. after eating chocolate, fried foods etc, foods high in oil/fat content.
i dont burp, regurgitate food, or have pain in the throat. no constipation or loose stools are rare (only if i eat bad mexican food, bad fast food)

Post-tight chest Symptoms (brought on by tight chest, also made worse by some medications ie: atenolol, prilosec)

- anxiety
- night time palpitations
- body aches (shoulder, neck, below left pectoralis)
- hip pain
- head ache/pressure on side of head
- cold feet legs
- increased high blood pressure off and on.
- constant urination.
- heavy palpitation at night..body pulsates to heart beat.
- waking up many times at night to racing palpitation. 3:30, 4:30am, 5:30am
- muscle spasm
- short of breath, feel like im not getting enough oxygen
- heavy head
- head ache
- tight jaw
- tender scalp
- tight calves
- fatique
- dizzy head
- cold body
- groggy
- loss of extra weight
- hard to gain weight
- persistent muscle tension
- legs take longer to heal after working out
- left side chest pain from heart beating to hard from tightness.
- working out increases soreness in the heart area due to excessive beating/ high heart rate.
- get winded easily from everyday activies ie: exercise, jogging.

Previous Medical History-
- nasal congestion
- scoliotic neck, with convexity leftward centered about c4-5
- dessicated disk c5-6, with mild annular prminence with only minimal flattening of the csf. some mild left neural foraminal
stenosis.
- weakness in left arm from neck pain
- neck pain, has been off and on, but usually not to severe unless i play basketball, or exercise stenously, or aggravte it by turning my
neck to much..ie: looking behind shoulder while driving.

tests i took:
bloodwork - fine
EKGx3 - fine
Chest Xray - fine
Stress Test - fine, no irregular heartbeats, but fast ones.

im male, 30, 5-6, and 150lbs. i was pretty active(played basketball, and run, lift weights), and healthy guy before this onset, occasionally i would eat a lot, but i would balance my diet. i did have a habit of taking a nap before my actual real sleep at night. and have a habit of eating dinners late, around 8:30 or 9:00pm

Long story short, few months ago 12-15-11 I woke up one morning with some tight heavy discomfort in my chest area. I tried to see if it would go away if I did some running, but it was made worse.
Later on in the evening I went to the ER to get checked out as I was out of breath. While in the ER, they did ekg, bloodwork, blood pressure, and the chest xray came out fine.

they gave me ativan and diagnosed me with anxiety, the anxiety was there, i dont believe the chest tightness was caused by anxiety though. it felt like tightness brought on by something else. im not sure how i got the tightness of the chest, maybe from straining the internal chest muscles somehow/or over breathing or maybe reflux hitting the lower esophagus tightening the airways that happened in my sleep or when i was in bed.

so weeks later the symptoms did not improve so i went to the doc and he told me to try prilosec. I tried the OTC Omeprazole for a few weeks and had noticed some side-effects. i also did not see improvement)and stopped after two weeks. So lately i have been eating lite, and cutting out the heartburn/reflux inducing foods..so i dont get reflux much and have been eating healthy losing 20lbs. but my chest tightness was still there.

Before taking the prilosec i was slowly developing inability to sleep and started getting heavy night time palps. i experience rapid fast heart palpitations when i wake up at night to use the restroom. this palps would continue on into the morning.

fast forward, i go back to the doctor again few weeks ago feeling like my heart was going to pop he says i have high blood pressure based on the in-office blood pressure 150/100 (very anxious in the office) he did blood work, and he checked my thyroid and it was fine.

so he prescribes me atenolol. i tried it off and on to see how my body reacts to it, it helped to slow my heart rate but the side effects made me
feel terrible. I took the atenolol at night at 10pm and felt my heart rate slow down, but i can still feel my heart thumping, and stomach growling,
it makes my sleep pattern even worse. i feel worse the next day.
giving me these symptoms - groggy, muscle weakness, ringing in the ear, some joint pain, depression, fatigue, lethargy, made my chest heavy, gave me shortness of breath. after a week of using it, i have decided to quit cold turkey. So the Atenolol did not help relieve my chest tightness.

I have found a few ways to control my blood pressure, i have been eating healthy, ie: wholegrains, veggies, nuts, fruits, apple cider vinegar, taking fish oils, magnesium, drinking tea. I got it to drop down a bit, 120/85 at night. they would calm down a bit, however tightness is still there around the chest areas.

I already took some tests to help me to believe that it is not my heart, and in my mind i feel like it can be something brought on by possibly reflux or something physically inside/or heart. I still don't know for sure it's cornary related, mvp, GERD, asthma, chest infection/strain, stress, coupled with anxiety.

And im sure all the other symptoms i am experiencing afterwards are a result of my anxiety making things worse. So it's my goal to get to the root cause, so I dont have to keep worrying. At this point im trying to be comfortable with my symptom and learn to handle and relieve them.

I hope that someone has experienced the same thing so i can find a way to recover. What other tests can I do to help figure out what this is? anyone have any ideas? has anyone experienced this? im trying to find ways to relieve the chest tightness, it doesn't seem to be getting any better, and nothing relieves it, ativan (slightly), not atenolol, not prilosec.

if anyone can help with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for taking the time to read this long post. imm just trying to be detailed as possible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
(female)

ScaredOne620 HB User
Re: Chest tightness, constricted breathing, strong pounding palpitations day to night

If you received a clean bill of health from your doctor, then I would say it's all in your mind (mental). When I started getting a tight feeling, dizziness, and all that other stuff, I went to my doctor. He said I was fine physically.

All I can suggest is when you start feeling the symptoms, try to distract yourself. It helps me sometimes (in addition to my zoloft & valium). Mind over matter.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:09 AM   #3
(male)

d0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB User
Re: Chest tightness, constricted breathing, strong pounding palpitations day to night

Try to concentrate on the chest pain and analyze it. Where do you feel it? Is it right under your skin? Is it always at the same location? Does it dissappear when you distract yourself?

Current medication: Paxil 40mg, Mirtazapin 20mg

Old 02-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
(male)

Mojo37 HB UserMojo37 HB UserMojo37 HB User

Bay7000

I am a 37 yrs old male and have suffered from the same exact symptoms you have for about 5 months now. The only difference is that I get a really uncomfortable pain around my kidney area and joint pains. I've been going through a lot of job related stress lately and a not so happy marriage that adds to my already elevated stress levels.

I've been tested for every possible disease and/or condition that exist on the face of the earth, chest x-rays, EKG's, Echocardiograms, full blown mental health evaluation, lyme disease, lupus, thyroid ,adrenal glands, etc and doctors don't have a clue of what is wrong with me since everything comes back normal.

I feel like I am going to drop dead at any time. My heart will go from 50bpm to over 100 bpm in no time. I have a chest discomfort and a numb left arm and left side of the face that are driving me completely insane, heart palpitations so strong that wake me up in the middle of the night, rapid shallow breathing and I feel very very sick and weak most of the time. I used to run at least 6 miles every morning and now I can barely finish 1.5

I don't know what else to do since I feel like the doctors don't believe me anymore and my wife thinks that my sickness all comes from my mind. All I can say is that if what we have is caused by stress or anxiety it sure feels like it can kill you. For now I will continue to go to the doctors until they either find what is wrong with me or send me to the mental hospital. This is a terrible way to live and it makes you feel miserable especially when you have little ones and you feel so sick and run down all the time that you can't even play with them (my case). Good luck to you

Old 02-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #5
(male)

d0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB User

You know what? Let's try the following for about a month. Every morning you wake up and every night you go to sleep tell yourself that you are healthy and have the energy to do anything you want and that you will feel good all day long. I think I will do this, because I have read that your thoughts make up what you experience. You can't lose anything by trying this, but you might win everything if you do.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:30 AM   #6
(male)

I've tried that but it either doesn't work or I can't convince myself that I am ok. It is very difficult to believe that what one has is related or created by anxiety when we feel so sick with palpitations and all kinds of aches and pains.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:46 AM   #7
(female)

some1inNEED HB User

I have suffered from the same symptoms of anxiety, the best thing is exercise and meditation. Unfortunately it wont go away completely but you can make it less severe. . . . if you are from australia go to the beyond blue website. . . . aniexty and depression is very common and they helped me

Old 02-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo37 View Post
I've tried that but it either doesn't work or I can't convince myself that I am ok. It is very difficult to believe that what one has is related or created by anxiety when we feel so sick with palpitations and all kinds of aches and pains.
It has cured people with cancer, so why couldn't it cure us as well? It doesn't matter what the cause is, you have to want to feel healthy and believe in the power within you that your body will heal itself.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
(male)

bay7000 HB User

ScaredOne620:
two doctors say im okay. it just feels like there is something inside not functioning correctly. im going to try a few more tests as ive only done the basics. yea, i agree that distracting the mind helps a bit. but sometimes i just feel so tired and fatigue throughout the day that it brings me back to my symptoms. not being able to get a good nights sleep doesn't help either.

d0ink:
i can feel the tightness near my sternum lower chest area, and middle of the chest. its under the skin. when i exhale, it doesnt expand all the way. something inside isnt relaxing all the way.
it doesn't disappear when i distract myself, not thinking or distracting my mind away helps a bit though. some of my back muscles are starting to tense up a bit, im just trying not to worry about it to much.

i will try to say that every morning, not sure if it will help or not, but its worth a shot.

Mojo37:
i feel your pain. seems like you are going through a helluva time. im also stressing out over some job hunting and dealing with the health issues makes things all the worse. just hang in there. are you taking any meds/supplements to help with the symptoms?

im going to continue taking some more tests and see what the doctor says, hopefully they will find something. just got to stay positive and be hopeful that things will get better. all the best.

some1inNEED:
thanks for the post. im trying to force myself to get into exercising even if i feel weak. running is tough though because i get easily winded.
i know that listening to some relaxing music helps. or thinking that what i have is nothing compared to what other people suffer through in the world.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
(male)

bay7000,

Are you feeling better or still the same? Any news from the doctors? I had a couple of rough weeks. I feel better for a couple of days and then all my symptoms come back to make my life a misery. I still can't believe that what I have is all anxiety. I have a doctor's appointment in two weeks to run more test. Will keep you posted.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #11
(male)

bay7000 HB User

im feeling so so. couple days ago i was decent, but my symptoms are still bothering me. i still have trouble falling asleep at night because of that. i still have the aches and head pressure. my body is just stressed

let me know what tests you have taken

Old 03-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #12
(male)

I've had Adrenal glands tests, kidneys, thyroid, HIV, hepatitis, brain MRI, echocardiograms, electrocardiograms, chest and neck x-rays, LDH, ANA, Sed rate, Lyme disease, rocky mountain spotted fever and a lot of other things that I can't remember now.

I had a relapse and I am trying to get over it now. It wasn't as strong as previous ones but it was still bad. I have another appointment on the 29th and I am going to tell my doctor that I want to start taking some anti-depresants or something like that just to see if it helps some or takes care of my problem. I know that what I have is not stress or at least that is what I believe. I've been having some weird energy rushes at night accompanied by night sweats. I will keep you posted. Let's see if we can figure out what in the world is making our life's a misery. Take care.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #13
(male)

codybsktbll1 HB User

BAY7000!

I'm a 20 yr old male who has been having the same exact symptoms, but I have been having heartburn. Never noticed it was heartburn because I have "silent acid reflux" (heartburn without the burning feeling). I first went to the doctor because of pressure in the chest. They told me it was anxiety and gave me some pills and told me to take some prilosec. A week after taking the medicine I started having chest pain mostly at night. I would start feeling it in my back and arm. Shoulder felt weak and boney as if my cartilage around my bones were coming off. I went to urgent care today after losing 30 lbs and chest pain wouldnt go away. My blood pressure is normally 135/77 at the doctors it was 128/77 so they didn't think nothing of my bp. The doctor felt my back and told me I had a lot of tightness all over my left shoulder blade that could be giving me shoulder weakness and chest pain. He did some special move to pop my whole left side of my back. Of course it felt better right after, but I'm still not sure if It helped. If you get any new news on your diagnose please let me know. THank you. Hoping for a quick response.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:26 AM   #14
(male)

bay7000 HB User

no new news on my condition, except that the cardiologist said my heart looks good based on the last test i took, the holter monitor.

do you feel the chest pain throughout the day as well? is it sharp pain?

does the pressure on the chest affect the way your heart feels? can you take in deep breaths?

Old 03-30-2012, 05:52 AM   #15
(male)

Update,

Had a Dr's appointment yesterday. Went there and told the doctor that I still have all my symptoms and that on "bad" days I can barely get out of bed. The doctor did another EKG and told me that there is nothing wrong with me and that my problems are created by anxiety. I said to her that most of my symptoms can be explained by anxiety but my joint pains and my swollen lymph nodes accompanied by night sweats are not products of anxiety. She looked at me and didn't know what to say, thought about it for a second and then said to me that I am catching a virus. I couldn't believe it! I left the office very depressed. I have an appointment with a neurologist on the 10th of April and if he can't help me I guess my only option after that would be a Holistic doctor or just try to snap out of it by making changes to my lifestyle which I don't think I can improve much more. I went from been an extremely athletic and active person to a zombie. I feel like I am trapped somewhere between life and death. I will post again on the 10th after visiting the neurologist.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mojo37 For This Useful Post:
Brookietrip (07-07-2012)
Closed Thread