It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
(female)

emma9191 HB User
Question Can anxiety cause difficulty swallowing?

For the past five months, I've had problems eating solid foods. It started one day when I went to swallow bread. It didn't necessarily get "stuck" in my throat, but it was like it just stopped mid-swallow and I was holding it in my throat. It really freaked me out. I haven't actually choked on anything but sometimes it takes a great effort for me to move food to my throat. I have severe problems with anxiety, and it's been worse ever since my best friend moved away (six months ago) and I'm just wondering if anyone believes this is possible, that my swallowing problems could simply be due to stress.

I had a barium swallow four months ago, and it didn't show anything. But that was a while ago.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
(male)

d0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB User
Re: Can anxiety cause difficulty swallowing?

I know from experience that it can cause a dry mouth and throat and this makes swallowing difficult. Since bread is also very dry it can add up to it. Does chewing it more often help?

Current medication: Paxil 40mg, Mirtazapin 20mg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
(female)

emma9191 HB User

My mouth and throat don't get dry. When I swallow, the food sometimes just stops and it stays in my throat for a few seconds before I start panicking and then quickly swallow again to get it to go down. No, chewing it more does not help. It's just a weird feeling I have, like I'm not going to be able to swallow food.

I've been living off soup and soft food for five months.

Last edited by emma9191; 02-21-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
(female)

elsajo HB Userelsajo HB User

hi, yes anxiety can cause difficulty in swallowing im having the same problem with it and feeling also like theres a lump in my throat do you have problems with acid reflux at all or any other stomach problems which can also be caused by anxiety and stress

Old 04-09-2012, 02:04 AM   #5
(male)

d0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB User

How about drinking after you swallow the meal?

Current medication: Paxil 40mg, Mirtazapin 20mg

Old 09-21-2012, 06:28 AM   #6
(male)

tonyallen HB User

Certainly anxiety can cause difficulty swallowing - it is almost like a mini-panic attack. I have even met others with the same problem. We all admittedly suffered from anxiety and/or depression.

I have suffered from this (on & off) for 4 years. The only thing that really helps is to treat the illness with medication and then try and remove the stressors from your life. In my particular case, I can drink fluids and eat small foods (rice) but meat, fish and poultry is very difficult.

I know that you can get to a place where you actually forget about swalowing and it becomes natural - but it takes time as you need to untrain your brain from the reaction that it causes.

Closed Thread

Tags
anxiety, stress, swallowing difficulty