It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
(female)

AnxietyGirl23 HB User
Celexa… Stories, Advice, Experiences.

Hi everyone!

I went to see a psychiatrist today. After a week of experiencing panic attacks, severe anxiety and some depression and sleepless nights, I felt I needed help from someone else.

She told me that I am the beginning stages of what could become a panic disorder and that the best way to prevent it from getting out of control was through the use of medication. Now I have never been good at taking medication because I am sensitive to the side effects. I think it has a lot to do with my anxiety. I hate not being in control and I do not like feeling zonked out or not like myself.

She prescribed me 10mg of Celexa for 2 weeks and then told me to up it to 20mg after the first 2 weeks pass. She also gave me .25mg of Xanax and told me to take it at night so that I could sleep. She said not sleeping well is what has caused my anxiety to pain out of control (before now, I functioned as an anxious person). I have yet to take any of the medication. I wanted to get some input on this from all of you before putting anything into my body that can worsen the way I feel.

I asked her not to give me an anti-depressant that would make me gain weight, as I already have a big issue with being overweight (27 year old female , 205lbs and trying to lose it). She also said to take Celexa at night because it could make me tired during the day.

What is everyone's take on the things she said and what she prescribed? Any experience and success stories on Celexa?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
Re: Celexa… Stories, Advice, Experiences.

Hello AnxietyGirl23.

I suggest giving therapy a try, especially since you've dealt with anxiety prior to the panic attacks and because you're sensitive to the side effects of medication. The way I see it, medication can help minimize your symptoms but it's therapy that teaches you how to better cope with your symptoms. You may get improvement with just therapy or you may need a combination of medication and therapy.

I've taken 20mg of Celexa before and it didn't work out for me. I didn't gain weight but the Celexa made me drowsy throughout the day no matter whether I took it in the morning or at night.

Last edited by ms_mod; 04-14-2012 at 05:04 AM.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #3
(female)

Ohura36 HB User
Re: Celexa… Stories, Advice, Experiences.

I've been given so many prescriptions, it's not even funny... but, the one I hated the most was Celexa. It messed me up, big time. It's hard to explain, but it messed with my head to the point where I flung the pills out of my car windows. I take xanax at night now, only. I feel great throughout the day & only take it at night to sleep. It has a short half life and is fast acting. I suggest you try just one Rx at a time & see if it's for you. Psychiatrist's always want to pair pills. I have found 1 to be enough. Oh, I did take welbutrin for about a year with good results. I weaned myself off & haven't needed it since. Been 3 years now...

Good luck!

Closed Thread