It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012, 01:45 AM   #1
(female)

carebear31 HB User
Is numbness in mouth and throat caused bt anxiety?

I've had anxiety since I was 10years old, but since I found out I was pregnant I have had extreme anxiety that I can't control. I'm on zoloft and klonopin but I still get alot of physical symptoms. Does anyone have numbness in the mouth and throat caused by anxiety? My psychiatrist said that anxiety can cause this but I'm still worried! Help!

The following user gives a hug of support to carebear31:
ciinders (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
(female)

ciinders HB Userciinders HB Userciinders HB Userciinders HB User
Re: Is numbness in mouth and throat caused bt anxiety?

hi there CB,
trust me when i say that its completely normal to get nubness in the throat and mouth due to anxiety,i get that day in and day out,sometimes all day.
are there any other syptoms you get? the oddest one i get is that my hands go cold

The following user gives a hug of support to ciinders:
carebear31 (04-26-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to ciinders For This Useful Post:
carebear31 (04-26-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
(female)

carebear31 HB User

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has this symptom. I thought maybe I was going crazy! I have had a ton of symptoms from anxiety, just in the last 4months. Dizziness, shortness of breath, twitching all over my body, numbness and tingling in my arms and legs, weakness, heart palpaltations, hot flashes, and a ton of mental problems. Those are just some of the symptoms I've had. I have been worried sick that I have tounge cancer, a brain tumor, or some other serious disease. I'm sick of this! I don't know how much more I can take!

Last edited by ms_mod; 04-26-2012 at 08:59 AM.

ciinders (04-26-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to carebear31 For This Useful Post:
ciinders (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
(female)

hi there CB,how you feeling? any better than earlier? <edit>
i totally understand who you feel,so your not alone

Last edited by ms_mod; 04-26-2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Removed posting rules violation. Ms_Mod

Old 04-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
(female)

carebear31 HB User

How do you control your anxiety? I was able to control it before but I don't know what to do anymore. I feel like I'm going crazy!

ciinders (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
(female)

hiya CB sweets.
im so sorry that your feeling this way,i really feel for you and my heart goes out to you,as i no how frustrating it is.

how do i control my anxiety and panic attacks? well......
as silly as this may sound,i dont fight my attacks like i used to,fighting them only makes them worse.

i no there horrid things,but the easiest way to manage them is by just letting them happen no matter were you are or who your with,its nothing to be or feel ashamed of.
by just letting it all happen and not fighting it,you'll soon realise that the anxiety and panic start to happen less and less because your not fighting it.
the key thing to remember is.....IT CANT HARM YOU IN ANY WAY AT ALL...
its just addreneline,it soon wears itself out.

another key to manageing it is to RELAX......please try what im about to tell you,it really does work,try it for a whole week and let me no how you get on...

Get some lavender essential oil (and plenty of it) along with that get an insence oil burner and some tea candles and a hanky.

with the lavender oil,put some on a hanky and carry it around with you all day,if you feel anxious or panicky just deeply inhale the lavender on the hanky and take deep breaths,it helps relax you (it does work)

every night for a week,run a hot bath and put 10-15 droplets of lavender oil into your bath,with no bubbles,light some tea candles and lay in the bath for 20 minutes and let your body soak up the essence,it really does relax you before going to bed. (you can even add a few drops on your pillow)

you can even get your other half to massage some into your shoulders and back of the neck,it works wonders.
the lavender trick has really helped me like you wouldnt belive,so please try it and give it time to work.
i hope ive been some help and comfort to you by shareing this with you.
anything else you want to no then please just ask and let me no how you get on

carebear31 (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
(female)

carebear31 HB User

Hi Cinders
Just wanted to ask you how long the numbness in your mouth and throat lasts? I seem to have it all the time now, but I'm not sure if its really numb or I just think it's numb so it feels weird. Do you know what I mean? Like when you belive you have something wrong with you so much that you actually develop the symptoms. Do you just ignore the numbness? I have tried so hard to ignore it, but I can't help it. It would be so much easier if I could just accept that anxety is causing the symptoms and move on. Instead I imagine the worst, that I have mouth cancer, a tumor, ALS, or MS. I miss being there for my kids like i was before my anxiey got bad. I feel like I'm spending all my time focusing on my symptoms or on the computer trying to find something to ease my mind for awhile.

Also wanted to thank you so much for taking the time to read my posts and for helping me so much with my problems. I try to ask my boyfriend for help, but he has never had anxiety problems, so he doesnt know what to do.

Carebear

ciinders (04-27-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to carebear31 For This Useful Post:
ciinders (04-29-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 01:20 AM   #8
(female)

Good mornin CB,I hope your well and feeling better this morning.
The good news is that the numbness we feel is just a sensation,it won't and can't harm you iin any way at all. Because we concentratee on the feeling so much,we THINK its numb or there's something wrong,when really there's no problem at all.
Its the vicious circle thing that happens with anxiety,and the main problem is,once we get into our heads that somethings terribly wrong with us or our bodys,then the thoughts consstantly there to the point that we really belive its happening,when really it isn't. The more you worry the longer the sensation stays. The trick is to tell your self that its ok to have these sensations,they won't harm you. The sooner and more you start to allow the sensansations instead of fighting then,the less they'll appear,because they feed on your fear. Break the cycle and your half way there I'm here anytime you need me

Old 04-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
(female)

Hi CB,havent heard from you in a few days so im just checking in to see how your doing?
how you been keeping?

Old 04-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
(female)

carebear31 HB User

Hi Cinders
How have you been?
I have been about the same. I have the same symptoms as always. Trying to ignore them, but being a hypochondric it's a little hard. I really don't think the zoloft if working at all. I don't have much energy and my sleep schedule is totally messed up. I stay up most of the night and sleep all day. I'm really worried about my next Dr. appt coming up on the 11th. I find it hard to leave the house cause I have terrible panic attacks, get short of breath and I worry I will pass out. I miss feeling normal and being able to control my panic. I guess I just don't understand why I can't control the panic anymore. I am scared I will Never feel normal. My body just does what it wants and I have to accept it. Where do you buy lavender oil at? I want to try and use it to try and relax.
So glad you care and keep in contact with me. You will never know how much that means to me. Thank you! Look forward to hearing from you soon.
Carebear31

ciinders (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 06:29 AM   #11
(female)

Afternoon CB my good friend,
Im so glad that you replied to my last message as i did start worrying from not hearing from you for a while.
I some how thought that you'd be having a rubbish time,so im glad that you decided to get back in touch.
you say that your at the dr's on the 11th? is it just a routine check up?
As for your comment about just wanting to be normal again,DONT EVER think that your not normal,just because we have this kind of disorder,it doesnt make us any less normal than everyone else.
Like you,i also felt house bound and hated going out,i felt and feel safer at home incase an attack comes on,but then i realised i had to tell myself the "SO WHAT" thing....
SO WHAT if i had an attack while i was out,SO WHAT if people saw me anxious,SO WHAT,and i got myself out of the house as much as i could,even if its only to stand in the garden for half an hour,its a start!
you should try this CB,it will help you like it did me.
Just Stand in the garden or sit and relax in the garden,take in the fresh air,chat to neighbours etc,and if you feel an attack comming on,DONT and i mean DONT run from it,just stand or sit there and see it through.....IT CANT HURT OR HARM YOU,so let it do its worst....(thats the trick to lessening the attacks)
YOu need to confront them,and i promise its as easy as it sound,scarey too,but it DOES work....you need to face the fear and not run from it,and the more you do that,the less attacks you will have....PLEASE try what ive said,instead of running from the attack,see it through,no matter were you are,weather your out in the garden,at the shops or visiting friends etc etc,the sooner you do that,the sooner you'll feel the benefits of faceing the panic.
Just remember,i'm here for you in everyway i can be as im still going through the process of faceing mine....its not an overnight thing,but i am starting to feel the posative effects of faceing upto my panic and anxiety and the same will happen for you if you try it and stick with it.

As for the Lavender oils,do you not have an aromatherapy store/shop anywere? you really do need to try the lavender thing,it works wonders,i just hope that you can get some (and get plenty in)
I hope that you try all ive told you as i so want to help you in every way i can as i no only to well how terrified and lonely your feeling,big hugs CB,remember im here for you.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #12
(female)

Hiya CB,
Its been a few days since ive heard from you,been worried about you.
I hope youve been ok and that you are ok,i hate the thought of you going through things on your own,which i hope is not the case.
When you log on,please let me no how you are.
big hugs,stay strong

Old 05-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #13
(female)

CB,i really hope that you read this,
ive been online and ordered some lavender oils and other things that i thought i could send to you as i no your having difficulty in finding them and i no they would be of great help to you.
Please get in touch if and when you read this post.
big hugs

The following user gives a hug of support to ciinders:
carebear31 (05-04-2012)
carebear31 (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 06:35 AM   #14
(female)

carebear31 HB User

Hi Cinders
How have you been? I have had an increase in my mouth and throat numbness! No matter how many times people tell me it's caused by my anxiety, I still think it is something much worse. I looked up mouth and throat numbness on the internet and it had oral cancer on everything I looked at! Do you think this is a possibility? I do smoke. I wake up at night and try to swallow and it's like I can't feel anything. It's driving me crazy! I want to believe i'm going to be ok, but my brain won't let me believe it. I need to get a handle on this somehow, but I can't figure out how. I talked to one doctor about the numbness and he said it could be cause by calcium and magnesium deficiency, but my doctor won't let me take a supplement of either of them until I am seen to determine whether or not i'm lacking in them.
I tried to get lavender oil, but I only looked in one store(cause I was getting panicky) and they didn't have it. There are really no places around my area that sell it. I guess I can try to find it when I go to the doctor next Friday for my OB visit(which I'm also very stressed about).
Is the numbness in your mouth and throat that bad(like completley numb) or was it just noticable? I can't understand how you can just learn to ignore it. I have tried and been very unsuccessful. The more I think about it the worse it gets. Sorry to ramble on about this. Hope to hear from you soon!!! Please send a message as soon as you can!!!
Carebear31

Last edited by carebear31; 05-04-2012 at 06:41 AM.

ciinders (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #15
(female)

Hiya CB,I've been so worried about you! You should have messaged me on here sooner,I hate the thought of you going through this all on your own. There's been things I've wanted to tell you!
You just mentioned about the deficiency thing,well guess what lovie?....It crossed my mind that I also had that too,so i went andd got some magnesuim calcium supplements and guess what? My symptoms are slowly reducing. If your that scared hun,and you feel that you don't want to wait for your appointment at the doctor,then get some supplements that I just mentioned.
Also,I thought you might have trouble finding some lavender things so I took it upon myself to order an extra few bottles when I was online shopping so that I could send you them because I couldn't and can't bare to sit here knowing how much your suffering,the only problem I have now is sending them to you

Last edited by ms_mod; 05-04-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
anxiety, numbness