It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
(male)

guitarman86 HB Userguitarman86 HB User
Can SSRI's take effect within 12 hours?

I've recently relapsed into some fairly heavy depression/anxiety episodes in the last 2 weeks. I've been on Venlafaxine (Effexor) for 2 years now, but have been steadily lowering my dosage because I felt i didn't need them anymore. But 2 weeks ago I relapsed, roughly 2 months after lowering my dose from 150mg to 75mg daily.

Since i relapsed i've started taking 150mg daily again, but what i'm wondering is if it is possible for the drugs to take effect within a 12 hour time frame. I'm wondering this because i've been diligently taking my medication at 8am everyday and everyday, almost like clockwork, i begin to feel better and less anxious in the evening around 8pm. Today I wanted to test my theory so i took my medication at 7am and sure enough right around 7pm I began to feel a bit better.

Is it possible that the medication can have an "up and down" effect, where it takes time to completely take effect?

I've been told that it takes 3-4 weeks for the antidepressants to achieve full effects, but could this mean that it takes that long for it to have a lasting effect ? rather than a temporary (symptom abating) effect?

has anybody else ever felt this effect?

Cheers

Old 05-11-2012, 02:49 AM   #2
(female)

burg3r HB User
Re: Can SSRI's take effect within 12 hours?

not too sure friend everyone is different either way if they are making you feel better then surely that's a good thing I guess it just takes time unfortunately I am no expert as I keep coming on and off mine because I feel like crap within the first few weeks in fact worse than before then coming off them then going back on them but as long as yours are making you better at some point then I'd stick with what your doing otherwise I have no idea but as far as the longer lasting effect because anxiety is a habit not a mental illness the meds i gather are a means to help you out of the habit because you are feeling better if that makes any sense

Hope this helped

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2012, 03:14 AM   #3
(male)

Ya, definitely know what you mean about the whole "makes you worse" thing. I've been on this particular medication (venlafaxine/effexor) for 2 years now. When I first started on it I had more than a few episodes of increased anxiety. Early on I had one night where I was completely restless and was shaking uncontrollably, sweating and having a huge panic attack. The following week I felt very on edge and jittery for periods during the day. I've had one panicky attack recently since I started to increase my dosage, and days of jitteriness and anxiety for "no real reason".

I think its starting to level off and take its effect again. I'm inclined to believe that any sort of increase in medication of this sort has to be a shock to your system that takes getting used to, which explains the initial "worsening" of symptoms.

I used to think that I didn't need this medication because I'd be able to handle my anxiety out of pure cognitive training, but I'm starting to think that's not enough. May very well end up being on these meds for the rest of my life - but if that's what it takes then i'm not gonna knock it. My sister is a diabetic and my father has high cholesteral and blood pressure. They both have to take medication to regulate their ailments - why should I consider my situation any different.

Cheers!

Old 05-11-2012, 03:52 AM   #4
(female)

burg3r HB User

absolutely I just worry about meds because to be honest I like to go out (not very often) and have a quiet drink with friends that's about the only thing I can actually do and I'm worried I wont be able to do that any more because I'm not sure if I can drink on st johns wort

and yes your right about our situation being no different because if it was different we wouldnt have pills for it and it wouldn't be on medical sites just wish my family would stop telling me it's life and to get over it I would if I could I love feeling like im going to die all the time

Last edited by burg3r; 05-11-2012 at 03:54 AM. Reason: spelt something wrong

Old 05-12-2012, 03:37 AM   #5
(male)

A thought occurred to me today on the notion that the drugs were taking effect after 12 hours.

A more plausible explanation is that the higher dosage causes some increased anxiety and/or depressed feelings as a side effect, and takes roughly 12 hours for the symptoms to abate and the effects to die down and level out.

I think over the next 2 weeks as my body adjusts to the increased dosage, these side effects should become less noticeable. Even now I can already tell you that these unwanted symptoms have become less intense and are becoming less intense by the day. However it really does bank on when I take my medication.

I've resolved to start taking them at bedtime or early evening so that the side effects should level out and be more tolerable by the time I wake up, and I will have slept through the majority of the anxious/depressed feelings.

Something to consider, if this has every happened to anybody else
Cheers!

Old 05-12-2012, 03:42 AM   #6
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by burg3r View Post
absolutely I just worry about meds because to be honest I like to go out (not very often) and have a quiet drink with friends that's about the only thing I can actually do and I'm worried I wont be able to do that any more because I'm not sure if I can drink on st johns wort

and yes your right about our situation being no different because if it was different we wouldnt have pills for it and it wouldn't be on medical sites just wish my family would stop telling me it's life and to get over it I would if I could I love feeling like im going to die all the time
I understand. I'm lucky in that I don't particularly care for alcohol so I never drink or feel the desire to.

I'd be careful with the St. Johns Wort though. I don't know much about it, but because it is an over-the-counter type medication that can be purchased at any pharmacy without a prescription - it's dosage isn't monitored by a doctor. It can lead to dangerous implications if too much is used or if its used incorrectly (serotonin storm/syndrome).

I've never tried it, but always kind of wanted to because it seemed a little more "natural" than pharmaceuticals. But i'm sure you're dealing with your Dr. on these matters.

Best of Luck!

Old 05-12-2012, 03:43 AM   #7
(female)

burg3r HB User

thank you very much for all your advice unfortunately I haven't been to my dr's because they are not very nice (I will be changing them soon) I've decided to stick to non alcoholic beers because I'm not bothered really about alcohol I just like to be with friends and that's a very good thought on the tablets I'll start taking mine more towards the evening see how it plays out !

cheers

Last edited by burg3r; 05-12-2012 at 03:47 AM.

Closed Thread