It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
(female)

Sophiegirl123 HB User
Anxiety and burning mouth and tongue

Has anybody ever had trouble with mouth and tongue burning when anxiety is bad. If so, what helped get rid of the burning?

Old 07-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
(female)

snailz HB User
Re: Anxiety and burning mouth and tongue

hi, i suffer from anxiety, the thing is my tongue was burning before the anxiety which caused it to kick in. iv noticed this post is a month old, are you still having problems?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
(female)

Sophiegirl123 HB User

Yes, I tried Cymbalta for the anxiety but couldn't tolerate it after 2 weeks. I also tried Zoloft and Lexapro but they all caused severe acid reflux and other side effects I couldn't deal with. Xanax works some but I don't like taking it. Have you found anything that helps you?

Old 07-16-2012, 02:17 AM   #4
(female)

snailz HB User

Hi, I was wondering what side effects you suffered with the Zoloft? Other than the reflux? I'm on these also and to be honest iv felt like crap since the day I started taking them, I know they take 2 weeks to work but I'm having a struggle to get through the day. I'm also taking clonazepam which is similar to Xanax, like you said, it does help a bit but long term thinking I don't want to become addicted. I think we have burning mouth syndrome? What do you think? Most people with burning mouth wake up normal and it gets worse throughout the day, mine is different, mine starts in the morning and starts to get better around 5pm, weird hey?

Old 07-16-2012, 05:00 AM   #5
(female)

Sophiegirl123 HB User

I was on Zoloft for about 4 months. I started to feel like I didn't care about anything. No emotions at all. I also would shake most of the time and would get jerking movements. My mouth started burning when I was on the Zoloft and has never stopped. I switch doctors and he weaned me off. I felt so much better when I started getting off but the burning mouth and anxiety never went away. Mine starts in the morning and gets better in the afternoon also. It kind of follows my anxiety levels. The only good thing is I have no problems sleeping but I dread mornings. I go to my doctor today and hopefully he has another suggestion. I haven't seen him since I stopped the Cymbalta. I will not try another antidepressant.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
(female)

snailz HB User

i know the feeling, i totally dread mornings too. at night im ok, i bring my duvet down and lay it out on the carpet and watch dvd's with my little girls, its when im most relaxed and calm but then morning again i can feel the anxiety as soon as i wake up. i started with mine when i was 8 months pregnant last november, i had a really bad dry mouth too, my doctor sent me to ENT, the man said it was hormones and sure enough the week my daughter was born it just went away. i was symptom free until last week when it flared up again. there are a few things which help me, every morning i do a mouth rinse with bicarbonate of soda and water, i use biotene tooth paste, diflam rinse when the pain gets really bad, its a horrid taste but sort of numbs the pain, i also bought something on the internet called oasis mouth spray which i use if my mouth feels dry. have you tried any of these?

Old 07-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
(female)

Sophiegirl123 HB User

I have tried the Biotene mouth wash and I brush my teeth with a natural toothpaste that has baking soda in it. I found that chewing sugarless gum helps a lot but that gets a little old. My doctor increased my xanax to .5mg in the morning and when I take that the burning mouth pretty much goes away. I am pretty sure that the burning mouth is caused by anxiety for me since the xanax helps. I went to my doctor today and he changed my xanax to xanax xr. He said this may work better since I dont get panic attacks and don't need the big dose up front. He said this is also easier to stop taking. I hate taking meds but I will try it because the burning is driving me crazy. Have you tried xanax to see if that helps?

Old 07-17-2012, 04:07 AM   #8
(female)

snailz HB User

i havent tried xanax yet, maybe i should see my doctor and see if i can move onto that from clonezapam. when you take the xanax are you pain free all day? like its cured? i had a good day yesterday but today its back, the only thing i did differently yesterday was last night i ate some chocolate, i wonder if it could be a trigger. the man i saw at maxillofacial said that i could be allergic to benzoic acid which is found in soda's and processed foods, he said it can do weird things to the mouth.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:36 AM   #9
(female)

Sophiegirl123 HB User

I was in .25 Xanax for a few months and that did not help the burning mouth. When they increased my dosage to .5mg once a day it did help. I have not taken it daily because I am trying to do natural things to get my anxiety under control. My psychologist said I should take it in the the morning when I wake up and retrain my thoughts and eventually I will not need it. Your mouth issues sound like mine maybe the xanax will help.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:05 AM   #10
(female)

snailz HB User

that sounds interesting, how do you re train your thoughts? i spoke to one lady who put an elastic band on her wrist and whenever she thought of her mouth she would flick the band to distract her. iv not tried it

Old 01-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
(female)

Sophiegirl123 HB User

Hey Snailz, Just checking to see if you are still around. I am still having problems with BMS. Have you had any luck getting rid of yours?

Old 01-27-2013, 05:21 AM   #12
(female)

snailz HB User

Hey hunni I'm still around and yep still in the same boat however iv had improvement, my doctor gives me b12 shots once a month and iv continued to take the clonezepam, a combination of the both seem to make my bms less severe, iv also kept a short food diary and it seems like spicy food can be a trigger. Saying this though I still have bad days, I don't like taking the clonezepam so I try to leave a few days inbetween and then the flare up starts all over. The b12 has definitely helped with the severity but not with the frequency . I'm thinking now about looking into hormones, I'm wondering if a rise and drop in hormones each month could be contributing towards the problems, I want to see if there are any herbal tablets that help with hormone inbalance and give them a go?? Ha ill keep you updated Hun. Sorry you are still having problems too xx

Old 01-27-2013, 05:28 AM   #13
(female)

Sophiegirl123 HB User

Do you know how low your B12 was. My level dropped to the lower end of normal so my docyor told me to start taking sublingual b12. Being doing that for about a week. I was thinking about taking Alpha Lopoic Acid. Have you ever tried this?

Old 01-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #14
(female)

snailz HB User

mine was the lower end of normal too weird hey, i tried the sublingual b12 but finding the injections to work better so far. iv tried the alpha too but i only used them for about a week, i had no results but i think i should have given them more time??

Closed Thread