It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
(female)

Meow2211 HB User
Agoraphobia, scared and not supported

So when I joined I had panic disorder, but recently my doctor diagnosis me with Agoraphobia, and honestly I feel like it is ruining my life. Since I quit my job on May 6th of this year my family have been bugging me to get a job. There is a problem again they don't understand panic disorder , but now since I have agoraphobia and panic disorder I have been weary to get a job.

This is because I'am afraid. Yes I'm afraid to get a job, I can't even walk into Walmart without having a Panic Attack. It is quite scary and my boyfriend has to try to calm me down. If I have panic attacks at Walmart what makes them think I could get a job? I honestly believe they don't believe what I have and maybe in denial because they haven't seen me in action. I feel like I'm not ready for a job and I feel like my anxiety will go up because of the crowds.

Right Now I'm in therapy and I already had two visits. So far I feel eh about it because I just started , but hopefully the therapy will help. I'am also filling out disability papers so I can get money. I just hope that I'll get approved , I just want my family to understand, I'm not being lazy, I'm not making this up, I have agoraphobia and I can't help my anxiety went this far. I cannot help that when I walk into a building that I get anxious, I get scared and which that sets off the panic attacks. I just want my life back and at least be normal. I'm having a difficult time with this because of my family .

They been bugging me to get a job, but don't know I'm terrified. I dont know what to do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
(female)

panicremission HB Userpanicremission HB User
Re: Agoraphobia, scared and not supported

I'm really sorry that you are not supported. Other people just don't understand what it is like. I have panic disorder and I was agoraphobic for a period of time as well. It sucks and no one understands that every day is a struggle. But I did go through CBT with a psychologist and I am SO much better now. So hang in there with your therapy - there will be highs and lows for sure - but, at least for me, it worked and I now live a normal life. It took me a really long time to really understand the therapy and how it works. I actually stopped treatment after 6 months thinking that I was "better" and then I had a big panic attack that landed me in the ER. It wasn't until after that when I finally figured out how to truly apply the techniques that I was being taught. So just try not to get discouraged because when you finally get it you can start your life over and it is so worth it! Good luck!

Old 07-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
(male)

steckmas HB Usersteckmas HB Usersteckmas HB User
Re: Agoraphobia, scared and not supported

This sounds a lot like me. I quit many jobs when I was younger due to agoraphobia, and my family would be on me, and I filed for disability. I think when I finally told my mom she said well I think you just need to calm down or something like that. To which my reply was, if you're not going to be supportive of me then stay out of my life completely. I don't recommend that you say that, but I think she took me a little more seriously when I told her that.
Some people bring family members into therapy with them and have a mental health professional explain it to them.
With regard to your job situation if you can get a doctor/therapist to back you that you quit because of anxiety you may be able to get unemployment. There is also a government agency that will help you find a job if you have a disability, they are called vocational rehabilitation there should be an office in your area. I got help from both of these places including food stamps when I quit a job long ago and finally realized it was from anxiety.
With regard to your disability claim anxiety is usually denied after the maximum waiting period, so your in for a long road there and they will battle you legally. What I was told was you'll be denied after the maximum decision making period, then can appeal and wait longer for that maximum decision making period, then be denied, then can appeal that denial and wait even longer and request a trial appeal, and at that point if you have all of your documentation/proof in order, you may get approved. You need solid documentation/proof. The process can take a year or two though. When I filed I was denied when the maximum decision making time of the disability people had expired, then I appealed. During this time I finally got a job through vocational rehabilitation that I was able to keep with the help of medication. Once I was able to hold down a job for a little while my appeal was denied magically way before the maximum decision making time. Presumably so that the disablity agency could use this against me in court.
With CBT, ACT, a lot of hard work, and sometimes the assistance of medication, I'm functioning and working now. Good luck with everything!

Closed Thread