It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
(female)

natalie1987 HB User
Just Diagnosed - is this all normal?

Hello ..

I just signed up to post this as I don't really have anyone in real life to talk to or ask that aren't doctor's or psychologists?

Both my psychologist and my GP have diagnosed me with anxiety (no meds given, meditation, mindfulness, yoga etc prescribed from GP and psych is a great help seeing regularly). Earlier this year I had a terrible hit of sinusitis and I thought it hadn't gone away, just improved - however I have no physical signs (according to the GP) that it's still around, only a hint of a 'post viral' thing.

So my question is is this all normal anxiety?
I am always dizzy/zoned out, like I am in a dream, and terrified I will faint.
I am also emetophobic (phobic of throwing up) which doesn't help.
I get sore glands and a dry throat and frontal headaches.
If I dream, they're completely crazy.
I get really tired in the afternoon, even though I have heaps of energy on waking. I yawn a lot and feel really weak.
I feel worse in social situations or when I am alone.
If I feel any strong negative emotion (sad, angry etc) I 'burn up'.. feel like my temperature is going through the roof, especially up my back.
I can't concentrate and get confused, sometimes my left eye vision goes blurry.
I forget things! Like the other day I lost my car in the car park, or totally forgot about the pasta boiling on the stove..
My shoulders, neck and upper back are pretty much always sore. (I get massage and see a chiro to help).
I get a feeling of a tight band being around my head.
My heart beats really hard.
I've also had GERD/Acid Reflux (I am on and off medication for this).
I get blocked/sore ears, sore sinuses, nasal drip.

I hate it, it is controlling my life. It's gotten to a point where I struggle going out to some places alone, or driving on freeways because I am scared I'll faint.. of course being scared I'll faint makes it even worse. I am always in a daze and every event, no matter how exciting it is or how much I want it, ends up a challenge I have to conquer.

I start working again soon after a couple of months off and I really need this to not ruin a great opportunity for me!

Light drinker, great diet, don't smoke. Wine actually makes me feel better...

I have a great GP and psychologist and totally trust them, but it would be so, so lovely to hear I am not alone....

Any replies would be so massively appreciated you have no idea

Am I alone?
Thanks,
Natalie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2012, 01:47 AM   #2
(male)

db851 HB Userdb851 HB Userdb851 HB User
Re: Just Diagnosed - is this all normal?

Geez. Reading your symptoms made me think that I could just cut and paste them onto a post of my own. I experience/have experienced just about every one on there at some point. Its great that you have trustworthy people to turn to, that will help tremendously! The only advice I can give would be to not let them stop you from doing anything! I too had a great job opportunity arise, and my anxiety peaked when I accepted it. While in training I experienced some of my worst symptoms in six years! I just forced myself to get through them, and have some really rotten days, but guess what, I'm still here! Been on the job 7 months now, and my symptoms have decreased dramatically. On the bad days I remember thinking, well it just wasn't meant to be, and almost backed out. Thank goodness I didn't! I know you'll be fine, and you're definitely not alone in battling that list of symptoms. Keep us posted!

The following user gives a hug of support to db851:
Rabbit slippers (07-07-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 03:00 AM   #3
(female)

Rabbit slippers HB User

Been there, had that too. Really difficult to describe but you've done a sterling job. Back in the 80s, I should have been happy at having a new wee baby and life going fine but those symptoms and feelings were still there. My health visitor was an angel and supported me when, unfortunately, my GP just put it down to overactive imagination. What got me back on an even keel were the books from an open university course that she lent to me. I got stuck in and the feelings were eventually subdued. Yes, there were bad days and like my dad would say, some days are diamonds, some days are coal.

Glad you have supportive psychologist. Makes all the difference. Took me six years before we moved to different part of the country for husband's job and I eventually found local GP who was not only patient but had a psychologist on hand. Helped such a lot and cleared a lot of buried anger and hurt that I didn't know I was carrying around. I hope you get through it too and that new opportunities in your job help you too.

Best wishes and like db851 says, keep us posted!

Old 07-07-2012, 04:45 AM   #4
(female)

natalie1987 HB User

db851 - thank you so much for responding and letting me know how your job opportunity went and that you're still there - you have no idea how much calm that bought over me Truly, thank you

Rabbit Slippers - amazingly my psych thinks that the new job is what is actually going to help me conquer the anxiety most... I can't see it yet! Thank you for letting me know I am not alone, means the world.

I will keep you posted

The following user gives a hug of support to natalie1987:
Rabbit slippers (07-07-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
(female)

natalie1987 HB User

I promised I'd check in and let you know how I was going, so I'm back so that sometime int he future when others are reading and think their story is just like mine, they can find hope

I have been working 4 weeks now! It has been hard because I've been physically unwell with a bad cold for 3 of those weeks (I've taken 2 sick days), but can report that working has definitely improved my anxiety symptoms 10 fold.

Still a long way to go, but a lot better.. I am doing it!

Old 08-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
(female)

leyash HB User

I have all of these symptoms, too.

I get up in the morning feeling nauseated, burping... of course, this is likely my acid reflux, but I always think the worst, so it make me feel worse. I am more anxious during the day. Had a horrible panic attack about four days ago, and since then, have been super anxious all the time. My shoulders, neck, and upper back are constantly hurting. I feel "dizzy" in my head. I can't stand being alone. My face/head feels congested. Got a lot of postnasal drip. Got pressure behind my eyes, and in my forehead. Shakiness when I think about my anxiety. Yeah, pretty sure I could have written your post myself. Was diagnosed with anxiety about 11 years ago, but I won't take medication because of my anxiety. It's a vicious circle.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
(female)

NatePanda HB UserNatePanda HB User

natalie1987

Hey, I get a lot of those, I have a fear of heaving and throwing up in public and my main symptom of anxiety is heaving

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-05-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Closed Thread