It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
(male)

pimoh HB User
Recently Diagnosed with Anxiety and Prescribed Zoloft

Back story is on April 29th I ended up in the ER for an unknown reason, and was diagnosed as having a pulled chest wall muscle. 2 weeks later ended up in the ER again, and this time was suggested by the doc that it may be anxiety. Went and saw my own doc later that week and he confirmed it is most likely anxiety and prescribed me 0.5 mg Xanax. He said take only when needed, but little did we know that I would actually have to take it daily, which was usually a pill to a pill and a half a day to keep my anxiety at bay. Well after a third trip to the ER after having a severe anxiety attack, seen my doc this last Friday. He upped my Xanax to 1 mg, and also prescribed Zoloft. Little did I know how the Zoloft would effect me. I was instructed to start at 50 mg, since I am a 6'4", 215 lb guy, and go up to 100 mg in 2 weeks, and finally 150 mgs in a month. Well yesterday was my first day on Zoloft, and the first 3 hours were interesting in the sense I could tell I had a new med in me and was very jittery with a few other side effects. After those 3 hours, my body was thrown into a pretty bad anxiety attack. It was an hour to hour and a half of hell, even after I took a Xanax, but then it finally subsided. I was very, very hesitant to take my dose today, but I did and as I type this I can feel the jitters again with dizziness associated with it. Have also popped half a pill of my 1 mg Xanax. Hoping this subsides really soon because with my line of work, this will completly incapacitate me to perform my daily duties. After writing all this, I am not quite sure what I am asking or looking for, but I guess it would be any suggestions or insight on how long the initial side effects may last. Thanks for any and all help and support.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
(male)

pimoh HB User
Re: Recently Diagnosed with Anxiety and Prescribed Zoloft

Just an update. Today is day 3, and for the last couple days I have been very apprehensive of taking my Zoloft due to a very bad first day on. Yesterday after I took it, I got very antsy again, and had to take 0.5 mg Xanax to subside the anxiety. After that I was completly exhausted and ended up taking a 2 hour nap, which I don't ever do on the weekend but it was needed. With that said, today I decided to start moving my dosing to the evening rather than mid morning. After taking my Zoloft today, I have not had any ill side effects to include anxiety. I know it is not the Zoloft curing it yet, but looks like my body is adjusting well now. Not looking forward to the 2 week mark where my doc suggested upping my dosage to 100 mgs, but I will it since in the long run it seems Zoloft might take care of my GAD and SAD.

Note: I am going to continue to update under this thread my progress, to inform my experiences for those that may start Zoloft in the future.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
(male)

gib HB User
Re: Recently Diagnosed with Anxiety and Prescribed Zoloft

Been there, done that. Anxiety is a mental problem, don't convince yourself that meds are the cure and don't look to them to get you through the day. Although very real, years from now after you've learned to deal with anxiety you'll realize the mountain you've made out of the mole hill.

I could bring on a anxiety attack simply by thinking about it. Taking meds would set me off too. I never took Xanax on a regular basis, only when I feel anxiety coming on. After 15 years I still have a prescription but rarely take them.

Best approach is to get some counseling. I'm a big guy too, 6'2" 200 lbs. and I thought counseling was for wimps. But the best thing to cure anxiety is simply to talk about it with folks in the same boat. The more you learn about it and how you deal with it, the more you'll look back in the future and realize how silly the whole thing was. It never goes completely away, I still will take a Xanax if I fly or for something like a job interview. But I've out grown it and never really have any more attacks.

I'm just suggesting not to become a regular user of benzodiazepines as that doesn't address the thoughts running around in you head, that's what you want to correct.

Closed Thread