It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
(female)

zaab1234 HB User
Can you mix zoloft and alcohol?

I have just been put on 25 mg of zoloft for social anxiety problems. I have been yet to drink when I have been on zoloft because I have been reading a bunch of peoples horror stories about getting violently ill when they drank while being on zoloft. I was wondering if someone could explain to me exactly what happens in the body when you drink when on zoloft and how common it is to have bad reactions to it? I know its one of those things that depends on the person, but I have a relatively high alcohol tolerence and my dosage is 25mg which my doctor told me is pretty low, so do you think it will have a negative effect on me due to those facts? Also, is there anything that one could do to lessen or prevent the negative effects of drinking while on zoloft, other than don't drink? My doctor says 1 or 2 drinks would be fine, but she also considers 4 drinks "binge drinking" so I'm not sure how much I should push it? Thanks so much!

Old 07-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
(male)

marinated HB User
Re: Can you mix zoloft and alcohol?

It's generally not recommended to mix alcohol with any SSRI's. Why not try 1-2 drinks as your doctor suggested would be fine, and see how it goes?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
(male)

steckmas HB Usersteckmas HB Usersteckmas HB User

I would go with the doctor's advice on this one. I am not aware of the two drugs affecting one another to a significant degree, but binge drinking as you probably know is very harmful.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
(male)

acordaro HB User

I would not recommend mixing alcohol and any medications such as Zoloft. You risk increasing side effects, resulting in serious consequences. In my case, I lost my inhibitions and control, continued to drink, blacked out, and wrapped my truck around a tree. Thank God I did not hurt/kill someone. I learned a hard lesson and cost me dearly. I no longer indulge in any form of alcohol.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User

I started Zoloft last night 50 MG. I decided to take it before bed as I thought it would have a sleepy effect on me if I took it during the day. I had a few glasses of wine earlier then took it on an empty stomach. BAd Idea! I woke up about 4 AM throwing up and dizzy. I then felt so jittery I could not get back to sleep. My stomach was torn up all day and I had to take something else just to calm my nerves. Not sure if this is normal side effect of med or combo with alcohol, but just though I would share. I am going to start taking the med in the morning and also cutting it down to much lower dose. This way if I do have a drink, it will be spaced apart from when I take the med.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
(female)

zaab1234 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope2Heal View Post
I started Zoloft last night 50 MG. I decided to take it before bed as I thought it would have a sleepy effect on me if I took it during the day. I had a few glasses of wine earlier then took it on an empty stomach. BAd Idea! I woke up about 4 AM throwing up and dizzy. I then felt so jittery I could not get back to sleep. My stomach was torn up all day and I had to take something else just to calm my nerves. Not sure if this is normal side effect of med or combo with alcohol, but just though I would share. I am going to start taking the med in the morning and also cutting it down to much lower dose. This way if I do have a drink, it will be spaced apart from when I take the med.
Has taking the med in the morning helped when you drink later that day?

Closed Thread