HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Anxiety (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/anxiety/)
-   -   Could this be anxiety? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/anxiety/911680-could-anxiety.html)

88Girl 07-27-2012 04:58 PM

Could this be anxiety?

About 2 months ago I developed numbness in my left little finger and lower arm and hand. This then spread to my left back, neck and forehead and around the eyes. These symptoms got worse in the shower but seemed unaffected by being generally hot otherwise. I then developed dizziness and fuzzy patches in my vision. The vision problems have been there ever since and at times have also included double vision and the dizzoness is near constant although seems worse after lunch and in the evening. The numbness eventually subsided and now comes and goes but always returns in the shower.

I was recently admitted to hospital for a week after experiencing left side weakness and struggling to walk. While there I had an MRI, MRV, blood tests and a lumbar puncture which all came back normal but a bleed was found in my right eye (its my left eye suffering with most of the visual problems but also my right eye a little). Routine obs also showed I sometimes had low blood pressure and a fast heartbeat but not necessarily at the same time.

I went back to my GP for a follow up and he said since the MRI and LP didn't show anythinganything it must be anxiety. I don't feel anxious and was not aware that anxiety could cause constant vision problems. I was almost angry at him for suggesting it but I want to find out if its possible so I can treat the problem. Could it be anxiety or is it more likely a circulation problem or something?

rocker1965 07-27-2012 06:12 PM

Re: Could this be anxiety?

This sounds truly awful. All I can say about it not feeling like anxiety is that if it doesn't FEEL like anxiety in any way it probably isn't. That's just my two cents, however. There may be others that disagree with me on that. All I know is that as an anxiety sufferer - I know it's anxiety. What I never know is if the weird neurological symptom is caused by something else or the anxiety. But the anxiety is always very apparent.

I would keep seeking help until you find someone that will truly listen. Perhaps you have a severe magnesium deficiency? With a western diet, almost everyone, even young people, are very deficient in magnesium, and although I am no nutritionist - I have read that magnesium deficiency causes many weird neurological symptoms.

Good luck - I hope that you are feeling better!

Denise

Terri880 07-27-2012 07:04 PM

I don't know what it is, but I've had anxiety for a couple decades and some of your symptoms do not sound like anxiety to me. The lightheadedness, I have had, though not constantly, but I haven't heard of vision problems or weakness on one side, enough to make it difficult to walk. I would look for something neurological thoroughly before writing it off as anxiety. Anxiety is more like uneasy feelings, stomach upset, lightheadedness, rapid heartbeat, sweating, things like that. At least in my experience. And unhealthy thought patterns, like worrying, etc. But not what you have. But I'm no doctor. I would go see a neurologist if I were you.

88Girl 07-28-2012 02:33 AM

Thanks for your helpful replies. It is useful to get advice from people who know about it first hand. I do have a neurologist appointment but not until November so I am definitely not ruling out anything neurological (or anything else!). It's just hard to get people to listen when my results are clean, although this is obvs a good thing. I'm wondering if it could be some sort of circulation problem as I do have a fast heartbeat a lot of the time and during even the lightest of exercise and I often have cold hands and feet.

The only reason I'm humouring the idea of anxiety is that I had OCD as a child. I haven't had any symptoms of this for a long time though.

one spirit 07-28-2012 06:55 AM

I have an anxiety freind with the one side body numbness. Dizziness is basic anxiety 101 and Ataxia is also common.

As the body tenses the micro muscles in the eyes can cause vision problems

Anxiety can be emotional and we feel fear or somatic and it expresses in the body.

Dont let people scare you - I have had it for 45 years and am amazed at the hundreds of symptoms it causes

Terri880 07-28-2012 07:04 AM

It can be anxiety and it can also be other things. Best to be sure it's nothing physiological.

88Girl 07-29-2012 05:37 AM

Wow basically anything then! No wonder they diagnose someone with anxiety when they fail to find something different. I've tried to convince myself that these spots in my vision are caused by anxiety in the hope my full eyesight would return but it hasn't worked yet! The opthamologist couldn't see anything wrong in my left eye though but they will have another look at the end of August to see if anything's changed.

<edit>