It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
(male)

AyMoh05 HB User
Help?! Anxiety Meds?

I am Amy, a 19-year-old college student. I found this message board while looking for anxiety boards. I am looking for some advice/personal stories to aid with my anxiety.

I have had anxiety basically all of my life, but it seems to be getting worse. I have had two "panic attacks" in the past week. Normally, I only have them once or twice per year. My panic attacks start with the gut-twisting feeling and escalate into crying, shaking, heart pounding, hurting chest, not being able to breathe, and even into headaches. After one of these attacks, the aftermath can last for days. I get the gut-twisting feeling and feel nauseated.
My anxiety can come from many things...from financial worries to talking to my boss at work. If I try to call someone more than once and they don't answer, my mind automatically starts assuming the worst...they died, were kidnapped, locked me out of the house, etc. My anxiety has really been affecting my every day life for the past six months...my eating habits, sleeping too much, or not being able to sleep, etc.

The worst part of my anxiety comes from feeling like I am alone...like I have no one to help me through my anxiety/depression. After being anxious for a few days, more than not it will turn into depression. I feel alone, hopeless, like no one understands or is willing to help. I think that this stems from my childhood...growing up with a verbally-abusive father. I would feel completely alone and at times, wondered what it would be life if I wasn't on the Earth anymore. Now, when my boyfriend pushes me away or doesn't help me during my anxiety/depression times, my anxiety gets worse and turns into depression very easily.

I have been looking into anti-anxiety medicine and also have an appointment with a psychiatrist tomorrow. I feel that anti-anxiety medicine would help me a lot...in my relationships, work, school, and day-to-day life. However, I have read that many anti-anxiety medicines lead to addiction to the chemicals and cause more anxiety/depression than before going on the pills. Does anyone have any personal stories/advice as to whether I should/shouldn't go on anti-anxiety medicine? Or any opinions on whether this truly is anxiety...or something else? Please feel free to leave anything that may be helpful.

Any advice/opinions is GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
(female)

Laineyyz HB User
Re: Help?! Anxiety Meds?

Hello Amy. Like yourself, I am also having anxiety disorder and will be having panic attacks from time to time. Be rear assured that while this experience is terrifying. It is not going to cause you any harm.

You should try to stop worrying over things too much. I understand how we always jump to the worse conclusion when worrying over something. Have you often found yourself worry about something way too much and think of the worse and it always didn't end up as bad as you think it will be? So try to calm down yourself, when you found yourself asking the "what if" questions try to tell yourself that things is NOT as bad as you think it will be. You have to change your mindset and the way you think about things. Most of the bad things are all made up in our head. Most likely than not it will not happen.

Next, you should try to talk to your boyfriend about your condition and let him know that you do need his support to help you get throught this. Talk to your family too. Ask them to read up about anxiety disorder and panic attacks. Let them understand as much as they can about how you feel. Love and support from your loved one will help you get throught this much easier rather than bearing all this on your own. I often found that people who are not having anxiety disorder and panic attack will not understand how horrible it can be like, but luckily for me although my boyfriend and family do not fully understand how I feel but they are always supporting me. So try talk to them.

As for the medication. It is best to talk to your doctor about the aide effect and the withdrawal syndrome when you are comin off it. Get a full understanding on the medication before you decide to start on it. Things you read on the Internet might scared you off to try the medicine but remember, different people react differently to the medication. Like for myself, I have been in Lexapro before and it help me tremendously or my anxiety and panic attacks and I almost didn't have any side effects from the medicine. The most important thing is to talk to your doctor, work with your doctor and see which medicine is suitable for you should you decide to take it.

Take care Amy. I hope you will be feeling better soon.

Closed Thread