It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
(female)

DisaRakel HB User
My Story...

On June 8th, 2012 (a.k.a my birthday) I was enjoying a great day with my mom and later I had a great dinner with both my mom and dad and a friend. About an hour after being home I had this feeling like I couldn't breathe and I felt a little light headed. Then out of no where my arms got this tingling feeling and pretty much freaked out and asked my parents to take me to the ER cause something just didn't feel right. The doctor told me that everything was fine and what had happened was I had a panic attack and prescribed me Xanax so that I could sleep. A few days later I left to go work at a summer camp. The second day of staff training I had another episode. Luckily I was able to talk it out with someone and I started to feel better and for 3 weeks after that I didn't need a Xanax to go to sleep. When I was driving home for my weekend off I had yet again another episode and that was about 4 weeks ago. I haven't had really any "extreme" episodes since then but since then I have needed to take a Xanax to go to sleep and I feel like I am always nervous and anxious and I just can't relax and i am always concentrated on my breathing. I have gotten to the point where I am just frustrated. I want to go back to the life I was living, so carefree. Lately I am always in fear that I am going to die. btw I am only 20. I want to live life and not be so worried. I have been looking into starting therapy so that I can get over this anxiety/hypochondria. I just always think that there is something wrong with me, and I am always exhausted. I have been to the doctors/talked to nurses probably about 5 times since my first episode. If anyone has any advice please let me know I just want to go back to living my life and being a young adult and not depending on meds to help me go to sleep. I am open to any and all advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
(male)

d0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB User
Re: My Story...

You are about the same age when my health anxiety started. However mine was triggered by something else and it had a lot to do with me not relaxing and spending too much time learning and sitting in front of my computer playing video games.
Unfortunately noone back then knew what I had and could tell me what to do, so I pretty much freaked out and it got worse and worse. Then I began taking anti-depressants and took a therapy. The pills made me feel worse for about a month, but after that it was much of a releaf to have them. However it is very difficult for me to come off them again. So I am still struggling living without the medication.

Here are my suggestions:
- make a training plan and exercise on a regular basis (on your own or even better with a friend)
- read something about the topic and learn as much about it as you can
- eat healthy food and avoid fat and suger if possible
- take vitamin supplements (vitamin B6, B12, C, E and Magnesium are important)
- begin therapy and search for therapy groups of people with similar problems where you can talk about it (if your parents don't understand)

Xanax is very popular but the most habit forming Benzodiazepine medication. So I would not take it regulary and never for a longer period than two months, to avoid depending on it. These medications have side effects when you stop taking them. One of them is called "rebound anxiety". Don't get scared reading this. Rather stick to the suggestions above and GIVE YOURSELF TIME! Do not put pressure on yourself. LET TIME PASS!

Current medication: Paxil 40mg, Mirtazapin 20mg

Old 08-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
(female)

DisaRakel HB User
Re: My Story...

Thank you so much for all the advice I greatly appreciate it. I've made a doctors appt. for next week to talk about coming off the meds and to talk about therapy options and I researched the therapy offered at my school (since I'll be going back in a couple weeks and I'll be away from home) and they have group therapy for anxiety so i think that will help to talk to people my age who are going through the same thing. I really don't want to depend on the meds to go to sleep, and i can feel myself becoming dependent on them and I don't want to be so hopefully this doctors appt. next week will be helpful and I will come out with some answers. I will post an update.

Thanks again!

Closed Thread

Tags
anxiety, hypochondria, therapy, xanax