HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Anxiety (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/anxiety/)
-   -   Daily Struggle with Yawning and Deep Breathing (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/anxiety/914210-daily-struggle-yawning-deep-breathing.html)

yawninggirl 08-14-2012 07:46 PM

Daily Struggle with Yawning and Deep Breathing

For the past 6 months I have been having the urge to take a deep breath or yawn all day long. I can't seem to distract myself from the feeling. I only feel better when sleeping, walking or if I can keep my mouth shut long enough to breath through my nose only. When I distract my self enough and I forget about it for awhile I will realize that I feel better and then it comes back in full force again. Every morning this breathing thing throws me into a panic attack. What can I do to stop this?

escapegirl08 08-16-2012 06:10 AM

Re: Daily Struggle with Yawning and Deep Breathing

That is exactly how my anxiety sstarted. The constant being aware of my breathing was driving me nuts and cauing panic attacks. I went on Zoloft and Ativan to help with anxiety and I always see a therapist. Good luck.

panicremission 08-16-2012 05:17 PM

I have also had to deal with this anxiety symptom. I have found that if you let it bother you, you will continue to think about it and worry about it. The best technique is to try to not care so much. If you yawn a lot, oh well. If you are breathing weird, oh well. It won't hurt you, you might feel a little dizzy but that is okay. If you don't let yourself worry about it, it will soon go out of your conscious mind. The whole point of an anxiety or even pain response is that your body thinks something is wrong so your brain is bringing it to your attention. As long as you think something is wrong, it will keep bothering you. If you can truly believe that you are okay with the yawning and weird breathing, it will stop bothering you. It is a hard thing to do, but very powerful once you get it to work!

jenj770 08-17-2012 05:10 AM

This is called Air Hunger. Often it is associated with immune deiciency. Have you had a complete blood work up? If not, you might do this just to make sure nothing needs attention at this time.

MiseryFields 08-18-2012 12:10 AM

I had that same problem for three years and I know exactly what can help! I actually developed a system after researching hyperventilation syndrome and going through the techniques I found on the internet.

It takes a little while, three weeks or so, but this is what I did to stop my case of hyperventilation syndrome.

Lie down comfortably, close your eyes and make sure you have a ticking clock near you where you can clearly hear it ticking. If you're a musician (like me), you probably have a metronome that you can set to 60bpm.

Week 1: Every day, for fifteen minutes, breathe in slowly - not necessarily deeply, but slowly - for four seconds and let it out slowly for seven seconds.
Week 2: Same thing, but this time, move it up to breathing in slowly for six seconds and breathing out slowly for eight seconds.
Week 3: Move it up to breathing in slowly for seven seconds and breathing out slowly for eleven seconds.

A lot of the techniques you'll find to help get over hyperventilation syndrome will tell you to start off immediately on step three, but you're already so used to breathing deeply and quickly, so for a lot of people, breathing in for seven seconds and out for eleven seconds just isn't something that can easily be done.

At first, you ARE going to feel like you aren't breathing enough. I can't stress this hard enough - YOU ARE. Your breath might feel a bit jittery and shaky while you're doing this, but that's because your anxiety has trained you and your brain into thinking that you're not getting enough air.

There will probably be times when you start feeling like you need to take deep breaths again. When that happens, just force yourself to stop what you're doing (if you can afford to) and do the 4 second to 7 seconds in and out slowly. Keep it up for a few minutes if you can.

I KNOW YOU CAN DO THIS! I battled with hyperventilation syndrome for three years before I developed this system and I've been able to breathe easily for over a year now.

yawninggirl 08-21-2012 01:37 PM

Thank you for the suggestions I am going to try your technique and hope for the best!

durell4 09-17-2012 01:26 PM

I have the same symptoms.Any diagnosis or cure since your post?
Jim Browne

jglenx 09-19-2012 06:25 AM

Are you on anxiety meds? I ask because I know this could be a side effect of celexa, not sure if it is a side effect of other meds as well. I read an article when I was having yawning attacks and a man was yawning so excessively they hospitalized him ran all kinds of test, thought it could be a symptom of epilepsy. Finally took him off the celexa and it went away :). Sure enough that was my problem too. Good luck :)

durell4 09-19-2012 06:39 AM

Thank you for the response. Not on any anxiety meds just a beta blocker and cholesterol medication. Recently trying Emperzole as suggested on this site.

yawninggirl 11-29-2012 07:53 PM

I wanted to post an update on this problem. I continue to have this problem and been to the ER again still no real diagnosis or anything. So, I did some research and what I found seems to be helping. I found out that mouth breathing causes hyperventilation and hyperventilation causes adrenaline to be released into the system causing anxiety. I found out that we are not really designed to be breathing through are mouths only in distress or extreme exercise. I am constantly breathing through my mouth and taking giant deep breaths and forcing it. So, I have committed to stop this madness and only breath through my nose. This is my second day doing it and I feel so much more calmer and I can breath like a normal human!