It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
(female)

hopeful20 HB User
Therapist issue, need advice

I have a lot of anxiety and been seeing my therapist for about a year now. Over the year, I've emailed her a handful of times (only when it's important - because I try not to abuse the privilege!). It's usually hit or miss.

Last week, I sent my therapist an email about things I have a hard time bringing up in person. At the end of the email, I even stated that my purpose for writing to her was because I found it hard to bring up those things face to face.

Unfortunately, this is one of those emails she did not respond to.

I feel incredibly awkward about going to my next appointment in a few days, expecting that she will probably bring up my email. I know it could be helpful in therapy to talk about difficult topics, but I have a much easier time expressing myself in my writing. In addition, (and maybe this is a result of my anxiety issues) I feel a little insulted by her lack of response. I know she has a life outside her job, but it was hard for me to write the email in the first place and some acknowledgement would have been nice.

I guess I'm just wondering what you all would make of this. My appointment is in a few days, and I feel awkward/insulted/frustrated...

The following user gives a hug of support to hopeful20:
Skip4 (08-28-2012)
Old 08-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
(male)

berkeley3525 HB Userberkeley3525 HB User
Re: Therapist issue, need advice

If I understand correctly you sent emails in the past and they were answered. The one you sent last week wasn't. So only one email wasn't answered in the past year. It's possible she didn't respond for a reason. She may want to discuss email in person. You'll know for sure soon. Good Luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
(female)

hopeful20 HB User

Thank you for your response. No, I said it's hit or miss she responds or not.

I guess I just feel awkward about my next appointment and was looking for someone to commiserate with! LOL

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-27-2012 at 05:45 PM.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
(female)

Skip4 HB UserSkip4 HB UserSkip4 HB User

I've had trouble like that in the past too about talking about things face to face, but I go one step braver :P

I write a letter to my therapist and then hand it to her in person telling her "I wrote down what I want to talk to you about today because it's much easier handing you this letter than it is bringing it up in conversation and I didn't trust myself to tell you face to face verbally"

I think, while it can be really scary and upsetting to talk about some things face to face, that talking face to face about those things can really be the most helpful thing to do.

So I would say, let's see if she read your email and if she wants to talk about it in person, be strong and do your best. You can't take back the email now so whatever will happen will happen, there's nothing you can do about it and talking about it in person won't kill you no matter how uncomfortable it feels! You may even come away from the experience feeling better! *hugs*

The Following User Says Thank You to Skip4 For This Useful Post:
Eleiah (08-28-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
(female)

hopeful20 HB User

Thank you so much.. this really helped put things in perspective. I know it's best to talk about things in person, but sometimes I feel like I'd get so much more out of therapy if I just sat with my back turned and we just texted back and forth.

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-28-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Closed Thread