It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
(female)

gnrfinkployd HB User
Health Anxiety

Hi Everyone

I've suffered with health anxiety all my life. My main phobia is throwing up - do not know why but it is always something I've been so scared of.

It doesn't disturb my daily life usually except when I was 17 and I got over it now suddenly over 10 years later I'm getting it again. It started off worrying generally about my health every ache and pain I was worried it was life threatening. This last week I've had serious panic attacks almost every night about being sick. I have tried to take kalms, only to find out that they can give you nausea. I've taken an anti-sickness pill last two nights just incase and to see if it will help. I need some sort of treatment that doesn't have a side effect of nausea, sickness or an upset stomach or it's just going to send me worse!

I've been to doctor who is providing me with counselling but it's taking forever. I have a very stressful job and can't afford to take time off. this board helped me all those years ago and I'm hoping it will help again!

thank u x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2012, 04:19 AM   #2
(male)

jal2179 HB User
Re: Health Anxiety

My suggestion would be to quit the job. The stress may inadvertently be causing anxiety issues to worsen.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

crookedhearts HB Usercrookedhearts HB Usercrookedhearts HB User
Re: Health Anxiety

I don't think you should quit anything yet. I think I understand where you're coming from because I used to have a similar problem. When I was a kid I'd either stay up all night TERRIFIED and anxious of whatever (it was different things but I understand now it was anxiety) to the point where I often made myself sick. I had a phobia about throwing up too, but I was always nauseas (doctor eventually claimed I might have IBS) and I'd just get so anxious about this and I would stand over my parents sink every night around 2 am waiting to throw up--it was horrible.

What helped me was this weird de-stressing meditation tape that my mom happened to bring home one day (one of her friends gave it to her, but we didn't actually expect it to be useful). I'd listen to it every night on headphones as I tried to fall asleep, and it ended up actually working! I dont have it anymore, but it was just this guy telling you to relax your toes, your legs, and like, each muscle group up to your head etc. I recently quit smoking and downloaded some smoking cessation hypnotism apps just for the heck of it, and what do you know? They are REALLY relaxing and almost exactly like that old tape I used to have, so I believe it might actually considered a form of hypnotism! Don't knock it till you try it . Anyways, I'd advise you to look for destressing and relaxation apps--and yes, maybe even hypnotization apps for stress and anxiety. All you have to lose is a couple of bucks anyways, so where's the harm in trying?

Closed Thread