It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 01:34 AM   #1
(male)

devyn2727 HB User
Just so i'm not the only one....

Ever since you or anyone reading this post has been having severe anxiety.... did it feel like you weren't getting enough oxygen all the time? when you woke up.. were you dizzy or slightly 'off' for the entire day? everyday? that's exactly how i feel... even when im not feeling that anxious.. it feels like i'm not getting enough air, i sit and cry just wishing i could go back to the way i was, but i fear i will never be normal again... i'm so scared, ever since this i've started praying and nothing seems to be working. please. someone give me hope, or kind words. thankyou.

The following user gives a hug of support to devyn2727:
Skip4 (08-30-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
(female)

Skip4 HB UserSkip4 HB UserSkip4 HB User
Re: Just so i'm not the only one....

Hi Devyn,

I have the same problem sometimes when my anxiety is really bad or if I am having a panic attack. It is a horrible feeling and I once wound up in the ER because I thought there was something wrong with my lungs. I lost the feeling in my hands and almost fainted. They tested me and found I was getting enough oxygen, I just felt like I wasn't. Now I rarely have breathing problems, like me, I'm sure with time and research and looking after yourself you will improve.

Have you been to the doctor about how you're feeling? Maybe it will give you some piece of mind if you go get it checked out and talk to them.

You will be ok again, it may not be an easy journey, but you will be ok.

Are you seeing a therapist or taking any medication to help you cope with anxiety?

Try looking up some relaxing breathing techniques, it might help you.
A basic one is: breathe in for 3 seconds and then exhale for 3 seconds, nice big breaths.

The following user gives a hug of support to Skip4:
devyn2727 (08-30-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Skip4 For This Useful Post:
devyn2727 (08-30-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
(male)

devyn2727 HB User

Thankyou for replying to my thread,

Firstly, I woke up in the middle of the night and started shaking really bad and had shortness of breath.. i thought i was going to die. i called 911 and they sent an ambulance out and took me back to the hospital, they did lung/heart x-ray's and everything came back okay. then put me on an EKG monitor.. and of course, everything turned out fine. They released me about 2 hours later.

I've been to the doctor 3 times for this, and every time I get told it's just anxiety and he prescribes me medicine that doesn't work.

I've thought about therapy but i've never really looked into it.. or if it's even worth it.. i dont know since i've never been in therapy.

I take 10mg of Buspirone (I think Xanax Generic) when I feel a panic attack coming or when i'm thinking about serious illnesses and i get worked up.

I don't know how much longer I can take this.. but i'm scared out of my mind.
-Devyn

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-30-2012 at 04:10 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to devyn2727:
Skip4 (08-30-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
(female)

Wow! Only 2 hours in ER! I wish our hospitals were that efficient here! lol. Did they put you on oxygen? It's my favourite thing ever when I'm having shortness of breath

Has your doctor tried you on different kinds of medications? Some work better for some people than others.. but also these kinds of medications can take over 2 weeks to start working. They're not an instant fix like sedatives unfortunately (I'm guessing Xanax is a bit like Valium? I take Valium when I am haing a panic attack).

You should definitely look into therapy. I live in Australia so I don't know about the US, but here if you get a referral from your doctor you can find some psychologists who bulk bill so it may not even cost you anything if you're lucky.

I was doubtful about seeing a psychologist myself but when I first got anxiety and panic attacks I really had no other choice so I went along. I think learning about anxiety and panic attacks helps, because then you understand what your body is doing and why, for me at least understanding what was happening helped a bit. I keep learning more about my anxiety as time goes by and I've learnt how to manage it quite well now

It makes it even scarier and unbearable when you dont understand what is going on.

My doctor told me that my body produces more adrenalin than it can use, which is why I get all of these symptoms. A really specific exmple is: my main anxiety symptom is nausea, so my psych told me that my body produces too much adrenalin which gets my heart pumping, my brain misinterprets it that I'm in a life or death situation, so it puts me into fight or flight mode. When you're in fight or flight mode, your body pumps blood away from your stomach and into your limbs so you can react faster/run for your life, which then makes me feel sick...

They haven't explained the shortness of breath to me in that much detail but I think if you ask your doc or a therapist they could explain what's going on to you.

I think it's important for you to get as much support as possible though, so give therapy a go, you won't know if it will help or not until you give it a try. If the first person you talk to doesn't seem to help, you can always try seeing someone different.

It's no fun trying to get through this sort of thing alone. It's great that we can find places like healthboard where we can talk to other people who are going through the same thing too. The more support we can all find the better

Old 08-31-2012, 05:35 AM   #5
(male)

devyn2727 HB User

Thankyou for the long responses!
I just wish this entire thing would go away.. i know anxiety/panic attacks are just your brain trying to keep you alive, but I'M FINE. which is why i'm just sitting.. my anxiety is fine and i still have fatigue and other symptoms which is why I always think i have a serious illness (I'm a hypochondriac) .
I was on xanax for like a week... then they switched me to buspirone (non-addictive form of xanax)
I have medicaid from the government so therapy doesn't cost a penny. nor does seeing my doctor... which is why i'm always at my doctors , i think he's annoyed by me haha. but you're probably right.. i just wish i was back to my normal self.. i'd appreciate life so much more then..
Thankyou again... for everything and your thoughts. i really appreciate it.

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-31-2012 at 06:48 AM. Reason: If you know a word is questinable enough that it must be ** out, then please choose a different word. Ms_Mod

Old 08-31-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
(female)

Yeah I know how frustrating it is especially when you don't think you should be anxious about anything XP it can feel like the anxiety will never go away sometimes and it's hard to bear, but it does get better.

It wasn't an easy or short journey by a long shot and it has been filled with many ups and downs, progress and backtracking, but I'm almost over it now. I can go about my days pretty normally without any anx symptoms at all. When I first got diagnosed I'd just be having panic attacks all the time for no apparent reason but the last time I had a panic attack was in December and there was a really clear reason for it. I can't even remember the last time I had a panic attack before that.

Definitely try therapy, at first I didn't think it was working but over time it really did. It was kinda hard to take what my psych was telling me on board at first cos of all the panic, but it slowly sunk in and I started being able to focus more on what she taught me than on how I was feeling.

Let us know how you go

Old 08-31-2012, 10:41 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

crookedhearts HB Usercrookedhearts HB Usercrookedhearts HB User

Maybe you should try therapy and antidepressants. I honestly think antidepressants would help you more at this point because it's preventative (like a mild xanax 24/7) and would allow you the time you need to work through it in therapy. Then you could either quit the antidepressant or not depending on how you feel.

Closed Thread