It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
(male)

Just tired HB User
Anxiety for 45 yrs.

Yep, 45 long years. I'm 63 now. In all these years I have been to 30-40 doctors and many er's. I usually don't post but I see a trend of younger people who are having anxiety/panic attacks for the first time. One thing you must remember is that all the pills in the world will not cure you, just make you cope. Cure (if any) will come from within you. I still encounter Dr's that have no idea what GAD is. But they all want to give you medication. I guess they think they have to. I've been on everything from A to Z. The last doctor gave me Lexapro 20 for a backache. Me like a dummy I took it. 3 days later I'm in the er with accute stomach cramps. Yep, the first doc gave me too much and I was overdoseing and didn't even know it. Lexapro starts out at 10 and works it way up.

I've tried hypnosis, yoga, medications, and sleep tapes. I spent most of my life alone. Not by choice but I felt secure knowing if I had an attack I wouldn't make a damn fool of myself. Eventually I met my wife who like myself has GAD and panic attacks. She understands that when we feel an attack coming its time to leave each other alone and go separate ways for a few minutes. The only drug that I have found that works is xanax. I take a half a pill. A whole pill is 0.5mg. So I take 0.25. Most people say this low dosage does nothing. But again, anxiety is a mental condition, not a physical one. I works because I wish it to. Sounds dumb but thats the way it is for me.

For those that think you're a freak or a nut case don't. I won't kill you or I would have been dead long ago. It's an uncontrolable fear that overcomes you for no apparent reason. Yes, I often asked God to take me. One day he will. Till then I will do my best.

In my case I drive a truck. Not because I love it but because I'm alone. I cannot be a a group of people for very long and must always have an escape route. On airplane trips I up the xanax to a whole pill. Thats when I feel the actual effect of the drug.

I could go on and on but I figure you get the picture. GAD is not contagious or life threating. It makes you feel like crap but you will learn to cope with it. The hard part is finding the trigger points like skipping meals (thats a big one, makes your sugar drop and is a trigger point for me.) or loud music, flashing bright lights, concerts, etc.

Rember, make sure to get a physical first to rule out any bad stuff going on inside you. Once you get the all clear then work on your thought patterns. Just remember your not crazy or on the virge of death. You just have a condition that requires constant monitoring by you. Eventually you will firgure it out. There's no magic pill so don't try to self medicate by taking a friends pill (been there, done that. Not good) At first you might need meds to cope. But don't depend on them all the time or try not to. They only cover up the
problem. The real cure or coping comes from within you. Find your triggers and work on those.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just tired For This Useful Post:
d0ink (09-01-2012), Skip4 (09-02-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
(male)

d0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB User
Re: Anxiety for 45 yrs.

I agree with you. Do not rely on anything, but yourself to cope with it. That is the only thing that will make you feel strong in the end.

Current medication: Paxil 40mg, Mirtazapin 20mg

Closed Thread