It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
(male)

NAtureManMatt HB User
Unhappy Had anxiety attack, now heart feels weird

About 2 weeks ago I had an argument with my fiance. The argument lasted for about an hour so I was at my wits end and my heart felt like it just exploded. It kind of felt like I had a mini heart attack. I felt a hot flush through my body, I started to shake, I got tingly, I started to hyperventilate, and my heart felt like it was squeezed really hard. I am usually a laid back person and try to stay away from tension because of my heart problems in the past. I have had a couple anxiety attacks and heart issues before, but have not for a long time. I am very worried now because my heart has been feeling funny ever since that night. If I were to describe the feeling it would be like an empty achy feeling right where my heart is. It gets worse when I move around or exert myself. I still kind of have a shortness of breath. My heart doesn't feel like it is beating as strong as it once was and kind of feel nauseous now and then. Sometimes I get a dull pain that is more uncomfortable then anything. What I want to think is that the anxiety I went through that night made my heart beat to the point to where it stressed the muscles and the aches will go away. So far it has not went away. Has anyone went through this before or has any info? I don't have health insurance so I can't go to the doctor presently. I'm getting scared here. Please help!

Old 09-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
(female)

beckym67 HB User
Re: Had anxiety attack, now heart feels weird

Not having insurance sucks but you should find out more about the weird feelings in your heart. Just my 2 cents.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
(female)

Elaineg1234 HB User

I had the same experience twice a few years ago. Went to the hospital A&E because I that I was having a heart attack but not a thing. They gave me muscle relaxants which made me depressed so i stopped eating them after three days. For my second visit, they found an irregularity in my heartbeat but I checked out ok in the end after a battery of tests. I recovered over a few weeks by taking it easy and consciously deciding to stop when I was getting too stressed or anxious at work. I would go for a quick walk around the building, or read the newspaper, etc to slow down and relax. Deep breathing exercises also worked. Hope this helps!

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-27-2012 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Replaced slang word with the proper word as per the posting rules. Ms_Mod

The Following User Says Thank You to Elaineg1234 For This Useful Post:
NAtureManMatt (09-27-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
(male)

NAtureManMatt HB User

Thanks for your reply. It has been a little over a month and I still have the symptoms but they are a little better. I still have a hard time sleeping and still have the pressure, shortness of breath, and twinge in my heart. I ended up going to a heart doctor and she thought it was Takotsubo Cardiomyopathy(broken heart syndrome). I just got an ultrasound today and am awaiting the results. I have done some research on this and it is when there is a big surge of adrenaline that creates too much blood flow through your heart and creates a ballooning of your left ventricle which disallows all the blood in that ventricle to be pushed out with each beat thereafter. There was also a special on NBC Nightline news the other day, which was funny timing. The good news was that there is a 95% of full recovery and the heart returns back to normal size with relaxation and around 2 months time. I am just going to take it easy and try to continue life in the same way I was as much as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaineg1234 View Post
I had the same experience twice a few years ago. Went to the hospital A&E because I that I was having a heart attack but not a thing. They gave me muscle relaxants which made me depressed so i stopped eating them after three days. For my second visit, they found an irregularity in my heartbeat but I checked out ok in the end after a battery of tests. I recovered over a few weeks by taking it easy and consciously deciding to stop when I was getting too stressed or anxious at work. I would go for a quick walk around the building, or read the newspaper, etc to slow down and relax. Deep breathing exercises also worked. Hope this helps!

Old 09-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
(male)

Bear19067 HB User

I've had brutal anxiety attacks too. I know exactly how it feels. My last one was this past July and the situation was very similar. Long story short, I became enraged over a family issue. A few moments later, I had a full blown panic attack. There is definitely a connection between anger and anxiety attacks. But after the panic went away, my heart was pounding uncontrollably. During my other attacks, the palpitations went away, along with the panic. So I went to bed that night, hoping that a good night's rest would solve the problem. It didn't. My heart raced even more, and ended up being awake for the next eighteen hours or so. At this point, I was getting so concerned, so I finally went to the ER. The Doctor took one look at me, and knew something was terribly wrong. He listened to my heart, then immediately gave me an EKG. The test came back completely normal. He prescribed me Zoloft, 50 MG to help with the anxiety. Two days later, I went to my regular Doctor for tests, as my heart was beating so fast, I couldn't even go to work. Like yourself, I thought I was going to die. So my regular Doctor put me on Klonopin, .5 MG to work with the Zoloft. So I went home and took a Klonopin. Within one hour, my heart started to slow down and the anxiety was quickly fading away. After another hour, my heart was back to normal. Words cannot begin to express what a relief it was. I felt like my life had returned. But the combination of Zoloft and Klonopin cured the excessive heart pounding. I know it's hard for you, without insurance, but try and investigate these two meds. Hope the info helped and I wish you the best of luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Bear19067 For This Useful Post:
NAtureManMatt (09-27-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 11:31 PM   #6
(male)

NAtureManMatt HB User

Thanks for your response. I'm not happy you went through what you went through, but I am happy I can talk to people that have gone through similar things. The good thing is that I have insurance now. I did go to the cardiologist and it eased my mind that I didn't have anything major. I think I used to take Klonopin about 15 years ago for tremors so I am familiar of its benefits for that but didn't know it would resolve this kind of issue with the heart. Thanks for letting me know! It has been about a month and a half and I still have a little pressure in my chest and my heart feels twingy at night when going to bed. There would be nights I didn't fall asleep at all also but I can fall asleep now, I just don't sleep for long. It seems when I wake up in the morning that my heart starts taking off and I am up for the day. Still have shortness of breath once and awhile but it is better. If things remain I will definitely have to try those medications you said helped. Is there any side effects that you are feeling from them? Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear19067 View Post
I've had brutal anxiety attacks too. I know exactly how it feels. My last one was this past July and the situation was very similar. Long story short, I became enraged over a family issue. A few moments later, I had a full blown panic attack. There is definitely a connection between anger and anxiety attacks. But after the panic went away, my heart was pounding uncontrollably. During my other attacks, the palpitations went away, along with the panic. So I went to bed that night, hoping that a good night's rest would solve the problem. It didn't. My heart raced even more, and ended up being awake for the next eighteen hours or so. At this point, I was getting so concerned, so I finally went to the ER. The Doctor took one look at me, and knew something was terribly wrong. He listened to my heart, then immediately gave me an EKG. The test came back completely normal. He prescribed me Zoloft, 50 MG to help with the anxiety. Two days later, I went to my regular Doctor for tests, as my heart was beating so fast, I couldn't even go to work. Like yourself, I thought I was going to die. So my regular Doctor put me on Klonopin, .5 MG to work with the Zoloft. So I went home and took a Klonopin. Within one hour, my heart started to slow down and the anxiety was quickly fading away. After another hour, my heart was back to normal. Words cannot begin to express what a relief it was. I felt like my life had returned. But the combination of Zoloft and Klonopin cured the excessive heart pounding. I know it's hard for you, without insurance, but try and investigate these two meds. Hope the info helped and I wish you the best of luck!

Closed Thread