It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
(female)

angieb2001 HB User
Clonazepam and Citalopram

While i tried to take citalopram alone a few weeks ago and it caused sleeping issues (and i got sick the same week and it freaked me out, thought it was the pills). I am used to taking clonazepam. I never considered it till now but could i take both meds till the citalopram has been in my system a few weeks? If i take the citalopram in the morning, and the clonazepam in the evening, do you think that'd help with the sleep issue? or take a sleep aid at night too just to get through those first few weeks of getting used to the meds?

Old 09-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
(male)

Joebot HB User
Exclamation Re: Clonazepam and Citalopram

Recently I experienced a resurfacing of anxiety/panic attacks that haven't affected me for over 20 years. So my primary doc prescribed citalopram 20 mg. and Xanax 0.25 mg. I took citalopram for 3 days . . . THREE DAYS . . . and had to stop because of horrible insomnia, not to mention magnified anxiety, a "weighted" feeling on my brain (it's the only way I can describe it), and flu-like symptoms. I was told by my pharmacist that I wouldn't experience withdrawal symptoms because the drug didn't have enough time to build up in my body. It is now three weeks later and I am not able to fall asleep on my own. Before I started taking the med I prided myself for being able to fall asleep at the drop of a hat. I might wake up a few times during the night, but I could always initiate sleep. I really believe my serotonin levels were screwed up by the drug to the point of disrupting my sleep/wake cycle. I'll feel very tired, and I can feel my body going to sleep, but my brain won't make the switch from wake to sleep. Now I'm severely depressed because I can't sleep. Sorry for rambling on here, and I know everyone processes meds differently, but I would never recommend citalopram for anxiety. It is not intended as an anxiolytic.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
(female)

angieb2001 HB User
Re: Clonazepam and Citalopram

Thanks for the reply. i'm sorry you feel so bad and i know not being able to sleep is the worst. so far i've taken the citalopram for 4 days every morning, the clonzepam in the evening, and if i feel like i need help sleeping, i take one benedryl. i space all meds out throughout the day so there's several hours in between each. I don't really feel better till i take the clonezepam, but i know it'll take a few weeks till the other stuff kicks in. it made it hard for me to sleep when i took it the first time by itself, and when i did sleep, i woke up in a panicked state. it was horrible. right now i'm just going day by day. i'm sure i'm depressed cause i dont feel like talking to anyone or doing anything, and im anxious about going out cause i feel rough, but i force myself to. i'm also trying different techniques to try to relax me throughout the day. i'll be seeing a psychiatrist as soon as they set up the appointment, and am interested in trying acupuncture to see if that would help.

The Following User Says Thank You to angieb2001 For This Useful Post:
Joebot (09-18-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
(male)

Joebot HB User

I really hope the citalopram works out for you and your depression lifts. How is your sleep now? The only thing that has been helping me get any sleep at all is 0.50 mg. to 0.75 mg. Xanax . . . it relaxes me enough so that I can fall asleep. I only sleep 3 or 4 hours, but it's better than nothing. I have an appointment with a therapist tomorrow night, which is good because I'm running out of Xanax and my primary care doc is nowhere to be found. Anyway, good luck and please keep me posted regarding your progress.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
(female)

angieb2001 HB User

so far so good. i noticed i was feeling much better yesterday. i had been completely unmotivated for weeks with the depression, and the anxiety has been rough for year, but i've actually started thinking ahead and looking forward to stuff again. The citalopram actually makes me drowsy at work, but i take the clonezepam around 7pm, which relaxes me, and if needed, one benedryl helps. i havn't woken up in a panicked state for about a week. i wake up every few hours, but can go back to sleep pretty easily. sleeps never been easy for me, except when it's time to get up to go to work. i got an appointment with a counsler in october, and if the meds don't seem to be improving me, i'll also be seeing a psyciatrist. my primary doc only gave me a months worth of the clonezepam so i'm a little concerned since i've been using it for so long. i'd at least like to have them on hand if needed, but we'll see how it goes in the next few weeks. hope you feel better, i know how much this sucks

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-19-2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Replaced text message chat room letter with the proper word as per the posting rules. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread