It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
(female)

gotno HB User
Phone Anxiety

One of my problems in life is generalized anxiety. This means that basically, anything makes me climb a wall or have an anxiety attack. One of my big triggers is the phone. I can't make phone calls, and unless I really like the person on the other end, I hate receiving calls as well. It doesn't matter the level of importance the phone call has. I always go over what I want to say, and forget it. I stutter, my mind goes blank, and I feel all uncomfortable and sometimes go through panic attacks.

I have to deal with a phone at work. Somehow I can make my hand grab the phone if no one else is around, but it's still hard and I have a hard time concentrating on whatever the other person says when I'm taking down orders.

Does anyone have anxiety-friendly tips for making and receiving phone calls?

Old 09-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
(female)

mommyfix HB User
Re: Phone Anxiety

I have had phone anxiety as long as I can remember. I try to get hubby to deal with service people and business calls, cause he has no problem speaking to anyone face to face or on the phone. Still there are times when I must do this myself and I still dread it every single time. You think it would get easier over time but it never does.
I try to psych myself up with pep talks, like, people do this every day and it's no big deal, I'm the one making it hard on myself, that sort of thing. Sometimes it does help a bit, and taking some deep calming breaths as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
(female)

Angelina Marie HB User

I have phone anxiety too. It used to be a lot worst. I work in an office so one of the main jobs is answering the phone. I used to just not answer the phone. I'd only answer it if noone was here. I hated answering it and then having to tell someone "oh, bob, bill is on the phone for you" Eventually, everyone around me started picking on me. So, eventually and slowly, I started picking up calls. Now, I love answering the phone. But when it comes to making hair appts, doctors appts or anything like that, I have my mother call for me and I'm 20 years old. I just feel funny..

The following user gives a hug of support to Angelina Marie:
gotno (09-14-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
(female)

gotno HB User

I try to convince my mom to make appointments for me, but sometimes she loses her ability to understand, as everyone does, and gets frustrated with me. I also have a horse, and the fact that I can't call about the hay or farrier is really bothersome.

Closed Thread

Tags
anxiety, anxiety attack