It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 05:17 AM   #1
(male)

eaames888 HB User
Scared of the road ahead of me... what do you think?

First time poster here. Hello!

Here's my story thus far: About four weeks ago, two days before my 31st birthday, I started feeling sick, like a cold or sinus infection. A day later, I had read that a classmate of mine had passed away. I hadn't spoken to her since high school and I didn't know her well back then, too, but I felt bad for her. I do remember when I read it, a sudden shockwave went through my body but nothing really came of it.

That is, until I realized that in the two weeks I was battling the cold, I was unable to sleep for more than 3 hours at a time. I'd lie awake, or I'd wake up super early. The lack of sleep caused me to develop some pretty bad headaches. I got over the cold with the fatique and lightheadness but I still had the headaches and insomnia.

A week and a half ago, I saw a doctor and I told him about the possible stress (also I had a new boss at work, classmate's passing) and he prescribed Xanax for me before I go to bed for 30 days, as he thought my stress was just temporary. I tried it but found out quickly that the Xanax would keep me asleep for 4-5 hours and I'd be wide awake again.

Well on Friday instead of Xanax, I tried an over the counter sleeping pill instead. It was the most violent sleep I had ever had as it was like my body kept fighting it on and off all night. On both Saturday and Sunday (yesterday) I realized I started developing anxiety issues from just sitting on my couch. My body's muscles were twitching, my heart raced up a bit and I couldn't concentrate on the TV and in both cases I had to turn back to the Xanax.

I have an appointment scheduled with a doctor today. Is it possible that all of this is temporary or am I in this for life? I once had heart palpitations for 2 days (6 years ago) and a self-induced stomach cramp for a month a few years ago. But my experience of getting mini-anxiety attacks from just sitting in front of my TV worries me. I'm worried that I won't be able to perform at my job (which I have a really good, decent pay one) and I'm worried that this will ruin my social life. (I'm a single male still looking for his mate.) I tend to stress/worry over things - however, it has never affected me. I wouldn't have even called what's happened in the past month the most stressful time ever - in fact, I had just finished a year of running/weightlifting and felt the best ever physically. Thus I'm baffled as to how/why this came on out of nowhere.

Any kind of assurances/advice would be most welcome. Also does one usually see a psychologist or psychiatrist first in these new cases?

Last edited by eaames888; 09-24-2012 at 05:20 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
(female)

Skip4 HB UserSkip4 HB UserSkip4 HB User
Re: Scared of the road ahead of me...what do you think?

Hi there!

I think you might be overthinking things a little. You're obviously going through a stressful time. It may not be the most stressful period of time you've experienced in your life, but it's still stressful which can bring on feeling like you have been.

It's very possible that how you're feeling at the moment is temporary! Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any reliable psychics though. Some people do struggle with anxiety their whole lives but also most people do go through temporary periods of anxiety like you described especially in your situation.

You mentioned you've had heart palputations and stomach cramps before because of stress/anxiety, are you normally a highly strung/tense kind of guy? Or is it just sometimes that you get like that?

I think it's a bit early to fret that it will ruin your social life. Because you have a new boss and because of your classmate passing away recently I think it would be reasonale to expect that you might be feeling a bit "off" at work at the moment though. As for being single and looking for a partner, I have anxiety and panic disorder (was diagnnosed 4 years ago) and I also have an amazing boyfriend. He's the whole package, so I wouldn't worry about that. How you feel does not define your personality and it's YOU people are going to fall inlove with, not your anxiety/stress, that is just something you are going through at the moment. Even if it does wind up being a longer term thing, it's something that you'll learn to deal with and it shouldn't play a factor in your relationship unless you become a hermit and refuse to shower for the rest of your life etc :P

Make sure you keep up with your exercise, it will help with your stress.

And I'd probably see a psychologist first if you're thinking of seeing someone. Psychiatrists are able to prescribe medication, psychologists can't. I have friends who see psychiatrists and psychologists and I see a psychologist myself and from what my friends have said to me, the psychiatrists are more interested in prescribing medication and assuming things rather than helping you deal with your problems and teaching you healthy coping techniques.

Closed Thread