It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
(female)

balletshoes89 HB User
Smile Panic Attacks/Paxil/Xanax

Hello. This is my first post. I'm 23 and I've been dealing with anxiety my whole life. It seems to go in phases. I was on Zoloft for almost two years and was on 50mg and it worked great. In March of this year I started getting anxious again and getting close to having attacks. Instead of upping my dosage, my doctor decided to put me on 20mg of Celexa. That worked for maybe the first few months but then two weeks ago I had two panic attacks. They're horrible and so paralyzing in fear. I decided that I needed to get a control over this once and for and went back to the doctor last monday. She said she could put me on Paxil and start me off on 10 mg and to see her back in two weeks in case I need the dosage upped. It's only been a little over a week so I can't tell a difference yet, but I'm having hope and being patient.

As for the Xanax. I know there is a lot of negativity about it and how addictive it is and the withdrawals can be horrible. Not to be rude, but please save the horror stories on this. I am not an idiot and I know the repercussions that come with it. When I had my panic attacks two weeks ago, I luckily had Xanax in my purse from when I used it for a traveling on vacation a few months back. I took a .5mg those both days and it took the attack away and just made me so relieved and grateful that there is something out there to attack these horrible episodes.

Until my Paxil kicks in, I get close to having attacks every day and it ruins me from going along with my daily business, and it could affect my work. I've been taking .25 mg (making sure it's the lowest dose) and if needed, I take either a .25 mg or .5mg in the evening if my anxiety sky rockets again. I know it isn't wise to be taking it every day, but so far I have been on this along with the Paxil daily. I will get off it once my Paxil has been in my system for a few weeks.

I get a little nervous taking Xanax daily for a month because I'm worried about withdrawals but I will talk to my doctor about it and I'm sure she will give a safe route to wean myself from it. I'm starting my first counseling session tonight and couldn't be more excited. This is what I need.

I just can't express how amazing it is to be able to go about my day like a normal person and not freak out every second. I just can't stand those people who have not been in my shoes and think so negatively about taking medicine for this awful disorder. Judging brings you nowhere. Just shows how ignorant you are.

I'm looking to get POSITIVE feedback from anyone who has been or is in my shoes at the moment. I've heard good and bad reviews about Paxil but i'm remaining confident that it will help me. Has anyone else taken Xanax daily to keep the attacks off until the other med kicked in?

I appreciate in advance for the positive, kind comments.

Thanks guys,

-Lindsay

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: balletshoes89
AnxiousNellie (09-26-2012), Speced tchr (09-26-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
(female)

Speced tchr HB User
Re: Panic Attacks/Paxil/Xanax

I so sympathize with you !! I have had panic attacks off and on for 40 long years. After going on zoloft 20 years ago, they got much better.
Recently, a series of life events have started them up again ! My mother is dying, my husband lost his job, my grandchild is ill, and I have tons of stress as a teacher. We have huge financial problems and may lose our home. The attacks came on slowly.
First insomnia, then stiff neck and dizziness,ringing in the ears, shaky hands, blurry vision, then agoraphobic symptoms like not wanted to leave house for work, avoiding large arenas...football games. I am becoming crippled again after all these years.
So thought I had control over this nightmare and it reared its ugly head !
Has anyone gone years without them and ....BoOM....due to life circumstances and stress.....they come back ? I am very depressed. Theyve upped my Zoloft to 100mg.
I take a teeny bit of Ativan to sleep or I lie there shaking and scared.
I hate what this does to my life.
Decided to hop on this board as it makes me feel like I'm not alone and others know this feeling !

The following user gives a hug of support to Speced tchr:
balletshoes89 (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
(female)

AnxiousNellie HB User

Hi Lindsay,
Sounds like you and I are pretty similar. I am a 25 y/o female. I had my first panic attack a few months ago and had several ever since. When I am not having attacks, I feel very anxious about almost EVERYTHING. I tried my hardest to avoid medication but would take xanax as needed, which even during some attacks I would just "ride them out". I did deep breathing, exercised, tried herbal remedies (which did nothing BTW) and would feel ok for a few days, then I would have another attack out of nowhere. It is sooooo frustrating. The only thing that would keep the attacks at bay was xanax. Since I didn't want to become dependent on it and it is not recommended long term, I decided to try the SSRI route. I went to my doctor and he prescribed Zoloft.

I started yesterday at .25mg and felt pretty darn good. I felt no need to take a xanax only until around bedtime when I started to feel anxious and scared (I always get most scared at night when I'm alone in bed) so I took a .5mg. I guess I didn't really need to take it, I probably could've calmed myself down but I am really picky about my sleep. I always have to have at 6-9 hours of good sleep for me to have a good day. I find that if I don't sleep well, the next day is an almost gurantee of a panic attack.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. But what someone advised me to do and it's what I'm going to do myself, is not take any xanax until your anxiety level is about a 10. It sounds really really hard, but I am going to do my best to get through it. Maybe we can keep in touch to check up on each other? Feel free. Good luck to you!

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-26-2012 at 11:24 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to AnxiousNellie:
balletshoes89 (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
(female)

balletshoes89 HB User

I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through. I've had seasons where I've been totally fine and then BAM, it's back again! Right now it came back again and I don't know what to do. I'm going to a Phyciatrist to see if that will help! I'm here if you need to talk!!

Old 09-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
(female)

balletshoes89 HB User

AnxiousNellie:

Hey girl, well at least we both know we feel. I used to be on Zoloft and it worked wonderful. The only problem, I had to get the dosage upped a few times. I was on 50mg and then instead of making the dosage higher I switched medicine. I'd love to talk and keep in touch!

Old 09-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
(female)

AnxiousNellie HB User

Awesome! Let's do that. Since I have no one in person I can relate to with regards to anxiety, it would be nice to have someone online at least to talk to. Let me know how you are are doing with the new meds and I'll keep you posted on mine. Today is day 2 of Zoloft, took it about an hour and a half ago. I hope all goes well!

Take care of yourself today!

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-26-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
anxiety, panic attacks, paxil, xanax