It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 04:33 AM   #1
(female)

Beau33 HB User
Extreme health anxiety taking over my life

I really need to know what to do about my obsession with my health, in particular my heart.
I have been in recovery from quite severe anorexia for a while now, weight wise im doing really well and im only 7lbs off my target weight. But whilst I've been in recovery I have developed the worst anxiety. It all started when I read an article about a girl who had anorexia and died of heart failure. Since then I have become convinced there must be something wrong with my heart. I started having palpatations, chest pains, dizzyness, pins and needles and a lot of other symptoms. I have had all the tests done, ECGS, blood tests, an echo and a 48 hour monitor. All tests have come back normal, the 48 hour monitor picked up that i get ectopic beats but the cardiologist said these are harmless.
But this has done nothing to reassure me and I have been to A & E more times than I can remember, absolutely convinced at that moment that Im about to have a heart attack. I'm at the end of my tether, I check my pulse obsessively, literally about every 10 minutes ( i actually have marks on my wrist from where ive held it so much to check it) but I'm never happy with it, I panic most of the time thinking its too slow (resting is usually 60-70 bpm) but then panic when it goes up after ive been walking around. Im scared to sleep at night as I think my heart will just stop in the night.
It's starting to annoy the people around me too and I know it must be horrible for them, not a day goes by that they dont see me checking my pulse and counting the beats or asking them to take me to the hospital or doctors so i can get checked out.
I just think if there was nothing wrong with my heart I wouldnt have all these pains and weird symptoms, I find it so hard to believe that anxiety alone could cause all this.
Its driving me insane, has anyone else had these symptoms or obsessions with pulse checking?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB User
Talking Re: Extreme health anxiety taking over my life

You sound like me! I have every test on my heart! It all comes back fine! Tell yourself your FINE! I am also obsessed with my heart and checking pulse and bp. Anxiety is terrible! I have major health anxiety. I wanted you to know that your not alone. There is NOTHING wrong with your heart! have you tried medication?

Last edited by ms_mod; 10-10-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
(female)

Beau33 HB User
Re: Extreme health anxiety taking over my life

Thank you for your reply, it's good to know I'm not alone although I'm sorry
You are going through this anxiety too.
My doctor gave me Valium but only a 2 week
prescription and I didn't find it helped at all. If
anything it made me worse because I was worrying
the Valium would slow my heart down!
I hope things get better for you, take care

Old 10-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I got valium also! I worried the same thing! I sure hope things get better for you also! I am sure they will!

Old 10-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
(male)

tony1527 HB Usertony1527 HB User

The only way out of yourself obsessed life is imerge your life into helping someone else that you can see that is suffering worse than yourself.It worked for me,and i was on deaths door.Your brain can repair itself if you can give it time without putting stress and strain 24/7 on it.If its your heart your worried about push it to the limits join a gym and start running,you only get one life dont waste it worrying about something thats in gods hands.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
(male)

Coltfan12 HB User

I too suffer from the same problems we know we're fine but when it happens we cant shake it you are not alone and it makes it hard the people around you just don't seem to understand at least that's been my experience it's nice to find a venue where people understand and can relate my wife take Xanax but I was too afraid to take it however I have started taking a half of one to sleep at night puts me out I normally go to sleep only to wake up in an hr with my heart racing and freaking out feel like I'm dying when this happens but wake up every morning so that helps i am open to talk about my symptoms and experiances and would welcome if anyone like the same.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-14-2012 at 07:57 PM.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony1527 View Post
The only way out of yourself obsessed life is imerge your life into helping someone else that you can see that is suffering worse than yourself.It worked for me,and i was on deaths door.Your brain can repair itself if you can give it time without putting stress and strain 24/7 on it.If its your heart your worried about push it to the limits join a gym and start running,you only get one life dont waste it worrying about something thats in gods hands.
You are so right!!!! thanks for that!!

Old 10-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
(female)

allykat80 HB User
Unhappy Re: Extreme health anxiety taking over my life

Hi, I totally understand!!!
I started having panic attacks in February this year.. I have no idea why.. The doctors don't either. I ended up in the ER as I thought I was having a heart attack.. I had heart palpitations and my left arm went numb. I totally freaked out. They did an ecg, bloods, chest xray etc and everything was fine.

A few weeks later I had pain in my lower back near my kidneys. The doctor thought it may have been pneumonia.. of course I freaked out again when he asked me to have another chest xray. It came back fine and I was diagnosed with a minor kidney infection and put on antibiotics.

Since then, every time I have a small twinge, ache, headache, pain, anything that I don't think feels right I think I'm dying. Google has become my best friend and my worst enemy at the same time. Right now I have a pain in my calf muscle.. It's been there on and off for a few days. Last night I noticed pins and needles in my foot (the same side). I freaked out and started having massive panic attacks again as I am so sure I have a blood clot in my leg. I woke up thismorning (I was sure I was going to die in my sleep last night) and the pain was gone.. Went upstairs and by the time I was back downstairs again the pain was there and the pins and needles have started again.

I am so over feeling like I'm going to die. Who can live like this? It's absolutely ridiculous! I've tried 3 different anti-depressants as I'm now severely depressed constantly thinking my life is going to end and my young children will grow up without a mother. None of the drugs have worked for me. I'm now seeing a psychologist who is great. She's working with me on Cognitive Behavioural Techniques. I thought I was doing well until this week.... Now I feel I'm back at square one.

I'm afraid to be alone incase something happens to me and there's no one here to call the ambulance.

This is so not a way to live your life.. I feel for everyone who's going through the same thing cos it seriously sucks big time.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
(male)

Coltfan12 HB User

You're right it's terrible one thing I try to remember that you're not only gonna die at night or only when you're driving but when the brain heads down that road it's hard to stop I've been suffering with this for about 6 months the only time I have panic attacks is when I drive alone but if I stop at a gas station etc it goes away just remember when you're not having panic that youre fine so when you are having panic you're probably ok then too easier said then done I am 32 also i know we can beat this we have a lot of life left to enjoy so try not to think about it and live right now don't think about the future good luck wish you the best

Closed Thread