It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
(male)

polyhedron HB User
Exclamation Anxiety Stress from Work

I recently went back to a job that I previously held that I knew was stressful. I've been back about 7 months now. The reason that I left it the first time was because of the stress and it didn't pay well at the time. After being gone for a couple of years the pay went way up, but after these last few months the stress is back and I'm wondering if the money is worth it.

I'm a purchasing director and I keep a lot of irons in the fire all the time. It's my responsibility to keep the plant adequately supplied with raw materials while balancing prices and vendor relationships. Balancing needs, costs, and supply means I solve problems all day long, sometimes multiple instances at once. Worrying about all these variables really stress me out.

Since going back, my stress symptoms have been becoming more and more prevalent.

I'm 35 and have a healthy build.

My first symptom was waking up at night, now I wake up sweating sometimes with tightness in chest.
I wake up some mornings and dry heave
Tightness of chest during the day
Lack of drive after work. I come home and just want to go to sleep.
I don't want to talk to anybody.
Loud noises make me mad ... I have 3 young kids.
Nausea, a lot of it.
I can't eat in the morning, and sometimes it's hard to eat for lunch.
I used to work out 5 times a week, I haven't had the drive or energy to go in the last 6 weeks.
I am starting to feel meek at work, constantly overwhelmed

Is this just stress? Anxiety? Or depression?

I'm trying breathing techniques and mind techniques, but they have limited effects. I'm wanting to try medicine.

Can someone recommend other techniques or meds to try? I need to go see a doctor about this, but I don't want to go in blind.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
(male)

jdmaley HB User
Re: Anxiety Stress from Work

As much as I don't like hearing this recommendation myself, the best way to know for sure is to check with your doctor. A clean bill of health can at least take the concern of more serious issues off your mind.

That said, what you describe is consistent with anxiety and depression as well. I have General Anxiety Disorder and my entire life is incredibly busy and filled with so much chaos. I've got 5 kids, work a full time job (in a field I don't really like), help out at our church, and try to maintain a social life (and failing). My wife works full time. Our kids are in multiple activities. We are perpetually exhausted. It's hard to know which way is up sometimes. My anxiety came on in 2005, over health related issues. It got worse in 2008 with my first panic attack. Now my ambient stress level - the degree to which I allow our daily struggles to impact me - is off the charts constantly. I have some similar symptoms, though I have no troubles eating (over-eating used to be one of my releases from the stress).

This condition is insidious because it tears at you from the inside out. It makes you doubt your own well-being and the core of who you are. And if that is in flux or in doubt, then nothing is right.

I, too, am looking at medication as an option. Right now I take ativan for panic attacks (.5mg). I may need a daily maintenance medication to stop my obsessive, catastrophic thinking. The way I see it, the meds are just a tool, a way to help me take control. I've exhausted every other option - breathing and relaxation techniques avail me little. Once I start to feel relaxed...I suddenly realize that I'm relaxed and that makes me tense again. I feel like I'm relaxed, I'm going to miss something. Something will happen if I'm not always on guard. The irony is that the symptoms are so all-consuming, I end up missing the stuff I'm trying to guard against.

Hang in there. Get yourself checked by your doc. See if he can recommend a therapist or someone who specializes in mental health to examine you, so that you can get the proper medication. I've found general practitioners have a few stand-by anxiety meds that they'll "try" on you. Better to go to a pro, in my opinion. Be open and honest. I know there are other therapies out there aside from medication, but sometimes that's what it takes.

I hope it goes well for you.

Closed Thread

Tags
anxiety, depression, stress