It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Anxiety Message Board


Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fairfield, New Jersey
Posts: 1
georgewhitman HB User
Unhappy Please read, I need help... Deathly afraid of MS.

Hello all, I'm new here, and I've come here to share my story because I am worried and wan't some answers... First of all, I'm a 19 year-old male... I have anxiety/OCD, and I've been on Prozac for many years. I am going through a horrible time right now, because I REALLY think I have MS. I have been experiencing symptoms since July which have slightly changed throughout the past couple of months, for example- the hot/cold sensations were the worst in July/August, this month the tired legs/muscle cramps are the worst. Here is a list of all of my symptoms- Muscle twitching all over, muscle cramps primarily in legs, burning, stabbing, *****ling, itchy sensations all over, sometimes I feel I have trouble pronouncing a word or mispronounce one, a feeling of off balance- like I'm going to fall even when I'm sitting, cold feet, and my legs are always really tied like I've ran 10 miles. Anyways, I wen't to the neurologist in mid-September... He sent me for a MRI (non-contrast) of the cervical spine, lumbar spine, and brain. They all came back normal. He also ordered numerous blood test including things like ANA, vitamin deficiencies, Lyme, ect. All normal as well... I even had a EMG and EEG done, after all the tests were done my neurologist said it's anxiety induced... But this is what I find hard to believe, for many reasons. First of all, if it's my anxiety, then why do I always feel like this? Why doesn't it just go away? Or why would I just be sitting home relaxing keeping my mind occupied and still feel these symptoms? Yes, I have OCD/Anxiety, but I have NEVER felt like this! And I know the MRI came back normal, but I hear of a lot of people with MS having clear MRI's.. especially the first 6 months with their symptoms... I wish someone could just give me a raw percentage of the people who are like that with MS, but unfortunately it's hard to find these answers... I'd be elated to know that this is my anxiety, but I find it very hard to believe... Also, I looked up symptoms of anxiety and muscle cramps was NOT one of them! So what is wrong with me? The only other thing that comes to mind would be Fibro, but I'm sure the neurologist would have caught that, plus widespread muscle pain isn't really a problem for me.. Someone please help, I wan't my life back, I've tried everything, I just wan't to feel normal again. I feel like my life is over...

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 11-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7
mikebmw7 HB User
Re: Please read, I need help... Deathly afraid of MS.

Hey George,
Here's a few important things to remember.

1. If this wasn't anxiety, you wouldn't be so compulsively obsessed over it. Which I know you are, because I do the same thing Typically, people who get diagnoses with severe disorders, aren't the one's freaking out worrying about them!

2. If we knew anxiety symptoms were being caused by anxiety, NO ONE would have health anxiety! This is why anxiety always presents in ways you never think possible.

Muscle cramps are absolutely caused by anxiety. In fact, it's really common. Anxiety produces stress hormones in the body, stress hormones produce tension.

Anxiety causes that same tension throughout the nervous system, so of course you can experience speech difficulty, dizziness, jitters, tingling, skin burning, skin cooling, weakness, etc.

Your had an amazing work up, the testing doctors do are good. You have to understand, the odds of you having MS are what, 1%? The odds of testing catching MS are 99%. I'd say you have a better chance of being attacked by a bear.

I know your thinking, which is, if this is anxiety, then why does it happen when I am calm. Why does it happen everyday. If this was anxiety wouldn't the symptoms disappear for a few days when I am not anxious. Please understand, this anxiety trapped is caused in a few ways:

The brains cortex (which controls rational/logical thinking) powers down and the Amygdala (fear center) becomes activated, this propels those compulsive, fearful thoughts. The amygdala can stay active for months, years, etc. Remember this formula, even on days where you don't feel anxious:

Worry is programed into your subconscious. Sub conscious fearful throughs = stress hormones release. Stress hormones release = symptoms in the body. Symptoms in the body=stressful thoughts. So it's the thoughts that control the symptoms, that control the thoughts! Even when you feel calm, your still on high alert.

It can take a long time to power down the amygdala and have your body return to a normal stress response.

The only way to treat this, is to STOP thinking about it and thought block. You've had every test done. Get busy and stop focusing on it! Also, you can try things like chamomile tea and magniesum supplements to help with nerve function and cramping. Though don't expect this to be a quick fix. It will not overpower anxiety, it might help a touch thought. Hang in there bud and your not alone.

We all have different diseases that we're convinced we have. We all think our situation is unique! Again, if there was a way to prove that the symptoms were anxiety, anxiety conditions wouldn't exist. We'd all be calm because we "knew". But it boils down to OCD/Pure-O and us trying to "control" things we have no control over.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
My Anxiety Story, Sorry it is Long IamAandD Share Your Anxiety Story 1 04-24-2012 05:35 PM
My anxiety story shihtzumommy Share Your Anxiety Story 1 02-09-2012 05:06 PM
my anxiety story leenorah Share Your Anxiety Story 2 12-05-2011 02:07 PM
Anxiety is all I am anymore. phoxyphearse Share Your Anxiety Story 1 06-22-2011 11:46 AM
Anxiety sashmari Share Your Anxiety Story 1 04-07-2011 03:04 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Ativan
Celexa Effexor
Klonopin
Lexapro
  Paxil
Prozac
Valium
Xanax
Zoloft




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



ms_mod (56), Foxxii (26), d0ink (25), Frank Furter (16), Jagraal (15), Shae794 (9), Skip4 (9), iluv (9), slenderella (8), tygriff (8)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1165), MSJayhawk (1000), Apollo123 (898), Titchou (833), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (747), sammy64 (668), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:56 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!