It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
(male)

JuanCo27th HB User
Xanax on a 12-hour flight

I have an upcoming 12-hour flight (from Tokyo to Atlanta) and I suffer from mild-severe flight panic and anxiety and I was wondering if anybody have had an experience with xanax on such a long flight. I have 4.5mg of xanax divided in 0.5 mg pills. I was wondering if I should take them all at once or spread them, let's say, 1mg every 3 hours?

Please, let me know your experiences, advices and anything you can comfort me with (I suffer from severe flight panic and I just want to relax and forget about the panic and try to sleep)

Old 12-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Roger13 HB User
Re: Xanax on a 12-hour flight

Might work for you, might not. I had to stop flying about 20 years ago, just couldn't take it any more, but I wasn't on Xanax at the time. I've sworn off flying, just won't do it, so I can't really offer advice I'm afraid. But Xanax can help similar situations, like driving (for me). Do you take it daily? Do you feel that you could rest or sleep comfortably enough to endure the flight while on relatively small doses of Xanax? Every individual is different, and I hope this works for you. I wish you the best!

Last edited by Roger13; 12-05-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
(male)

JuanCo27th HB User

Hello Roger13 and thanks for your response.

Actually I just use xanax occasionally on panic situations (such as last-term exams and some problems I get with my family and gf) but I have never take them daily or in a time-basis. This is the first time I will be trying them for such a long flight and I was hoping to get some experience or advice on the matter.

Thank you very much anyway on your comment and I wish you the best of luck!

Juan

Old 12-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
(female)

Joanna2007 HB User

If you do not take it on a regular basis and have no tolerance....I would take 1 mg an hour before your flight then .5 mg every 2-3 hours. But, talk to your doctor first.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
(male)

JuanCo27th HB User
Smile Re: Xanax on a 12-hour flight

Hello Joanna2007, thank you for your reply!

I actually don't take them on a regular basis but about the tolerance, I take pills almost everytime I feel kinda sick (if I feel tingly in the throat, I take antibiotics with analgesics, if I get a big headache, I take 1gr of Panadol) so I don't know about the tolerance for a benzo like xanax.

I will follow your advice on taking 1mg an hour before take-off and then .5mg every 2-3 hours. My MD is on holidays now (Hawaii) and it is hard to contact him.

Thank you for your response and advice!

Old 12-07-2012, 04:17 AM   #6
(male)

Megalomania HB User

Dear JuanCo27th,
Becareful if you aret aking this medicine for the first time you shouldnt be taking it in a large amount. have you read the leaflet that came with the medicine ? have you read the side effects? xanax is a controlled medicine and its not like panadol or Valium. 1 pill of xanax = 1- 5 pills of Valium. its not a joke. i have panic attacks and i take 0.25 mg per day and its still wrong which i should take the pill " only" when needed. 1 mg is enough for a whole 24 hours of flight. you can ask your doctor who prescribed the medicine for you. or any close pharmacist. 1mg will make you relaxed for 12 hours flight trust me. i have severe panic attacks and 1 mg should do the job.

Thank you and take care have a nice flight.

Closed Thread

Tags
anxiety, flights, long, xanax