HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Anxiety (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/anxiety/)
-   -   mind over matter... do you believe it will work? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/anxiety/930722-mind-over-matter-do-you-believe-will-work.html)

somethinspecial 12-06-2012 10:39 PM

mind over matter... do you believe it will work?

I was diagnosed with general anxiety disorder as a kid, and i always noticed it very mildly throughout my life.. i was scared of doing little things but it never really truly affected my activities/the things i wanted to do, and it was definitely never on my mind. suddenly this past summer everythingchanged.. my anxiety heightened.. i dont know.. but by a wholeeeee lot. im an INCREDIBLY social girl, i live for travel, i live to go out everyday, i have alot of friends and all of a sudden, all thats gone..

i had my first panic attack studying for a test and ever since then i grew this fear of "what if it happens during my test? or in public? or always" and i kind of became afraid of leaving the house. i realized that this was insane and i could not go on doing this, so i got up and forced myself out and after a few months i told myself that whats the worst that can happen? i panic for a bit then im fine again! i was and am doing a lot better.
but now i find myself worrying about every little thing! i worry about if im allergic to foods i eat, or if ill have throat swelling in public or something and ive NEVER been this bad before with my anxiety!

im a strong girl andi refuse meds. i really believe i can talk my way out of this. itll be long and hard but i think i can...
MY QUESTION IS.. is it possible to do this? and secondly.. will i just keep spiraling out of control? :(

sbl1234 12-07-2012 08:42 AM

Re: mind over matter.. do you believe it will work?

I was opposed to meds at first too. I saw it as a sign of weakness. But if you had cancer, would you not get medical treatment? Do you want to live in pain simply to prove a point? I felt so much better once I got on the right medication. But besides that, I would focus on trying to do diaphragmatic breathing. Just taking a few minutes to close your eyes and breath deeply can help. You can do this in public! It is good to try to breathe more deeply all the time anyway. People with anxiety often have very shallow breathing. Also, have you considered cognitive behavioral therapy? You can even try to do some stuff on your own, like keep a journal and right down your anxious thought and then right down a more realistic way of thinking about it.

Seekingpeace12 12-07-2012 09:11 PM

Re: mind over matter... do you believe it will work?

Hi Somethingspecial, welcome to the boards. I admire your strength in trying to overcome your anxiety and panic through thought manipulation. Yes, anxiety can be overcome by manipulating your thoughts and thinking positive or by meditation. There are many books that can show you how to do this. Listening to music that reminds you of a special time in your life or that makes you happy can also lower anxiety. I myself practice some of what you are doing as well as I donít take daily medicine for general anxiety and try to overcome my anxiety by thought manipulation, watching what I eat and making sure that I sleep well . Exercise can also do wonders.

However, medicine can be a great tool to bring your mind back to a manageable state. When we donít sleep enough, when we suffer traumatic events, or when we donít eat right, we throw the body and mind out of balance. By taking medicine, we help the body and mind get to a state where we can tolerate anxiety. You may be hurting yourself by living in pain and in fear when peace may be a pill away. Many people take medicine only for a short period (few weeks or months) until they get better enough to where they can stop taking it. There are so many anxiety and depression medicines out there that if one gives you too many undesirable side effects, you can always try something different until you find one that your body can tolerate and that improves your quality of life.

You may also want to search these boards for natural alternatives such as herbs or supplements. Some people have had success with them, so it may be just what you need to give you the upper hand if you wonít take medicine.