It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
(female)

hdawn909 HB User
Started taking Effexor for Anxiety and Depression

Hi All,

I'm new here and wanted to reach out and get some info in hopes to educate myself a little more about some things and get any advice or help that has worked for people who are dealing with similar situations.

A couple of months ago I got diagnosed with Anxiety, ADHD, Depression, and PTSD after a Neuropsych Evaluation and therapy. I am a 22 year old female and I've had a lot happen this past year and I think that is where I suffer from the PTSD. I feel like I've always had anxiety but never got treated or help for it. The ADHD and Depression were a shock but it all made sense when I got diagnosed.

Anyways, I was put on Adderall for my ADHD, my psychiatrist might have thought my anxiety stemmed from that so she wanted to see how I would be with a stimulant first. Four weeks of the Adderall and I felt great until I was getting these horrible heart palpitations and chest pains and my anxiety was even worse. So I got off of that and started taking 75 mg Effexor once a day for treating my anxiety first. Anybody have any experience with Effexor?

It has been my third day on Effexor and so far so good. I am experiencing a bit of insomnia, and when I finally do fall asleep I had a couple strange dreams! It's kind of interesting in my opinion, I like remembering my dreams, so it's not a bothersome side effect. Also, my legs feel really restless and have a very mild ache to them, is that normal and something that will go away?

Another thing I should mention, I have NO appetite whatsoever. I have to force food down my throat, it's worse than the appetite loss I experienced from the Adderall too. I've been trying to eat healthy (Just found out I have Celiac too) so I've been staying away from breads, pastas, carbs and focusing more on the "Paleo Diet" with a lot of veggies, fruits, protein and whatnot. But I'll get so full from eating just an apple. Is this a normal side effect? I'm not complaining too much, as I gained about 15 pounds this past year due to an eating disorder (binge eating). I never binge ate before in my life up until this past summer when things started getting really bad. Do you think that is from the depression or stress? Will it go away over time and will the Effexor help me get down to my normal weight? I know 15 pounds isn't too much, but when you're only 5'3 and usually only weigh 120, it's a lot!

I still feel like I am unable to concentrate or focus though, I feel like I still have the attention span of a three year old. My doctor might put me on a low dose of Concerta next month as well.

Any advice would be really helpful on the Effexor!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
adhd, anxiety, depression, effexor