It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
(female)

TrishLives17 HB User
Question Anxiety that is getting worse

My anxiety started in my Sophomore year of college. My anxiety consists of severe chest pain. I remember missing some of my finals because the pain was so bad. I went to the doctor and did an EKG and Echo on me, and said I had anxiety since all my tests came back normal. He never placed me on meds because I thought I could have handled it. Fast forward to the present, my anxiety has gotten worse. Sometimes I am anxious and I wouldn't know why I m anxious. Some days I wake up anxious, I guess because of my dreams. Sometimes I suffer from insomnia because my mind is racing. One HUGE trigger of anxiety (especially lately) have been relationships. My last relationship, which I posted on here a week ago, stirred my anxiety because I was nervous about his moods or if he will hurt himself. Now that the relationship is over, my anxiety is horrible. I will have bouts of crying then I will be fine. Every other night I have vivid dreams. Some pleasant some not. My anxiety has me putting off getting my things from his place. As much as I want to do it and get it over with, my anxiety keeps making me push it off. I'm even tempted to ask him to post my things.

I started counseling 2 weeks ago. At first I told my therapist that I don't want any meds, but considering what has been going on I think I may need them. Even when I do activities that would make me happy , I wind up anxious. Its annoying and aggravating at the same time. I know I will suffer from anxiety for the rest of my life due to my recently diagnosis of PCOS (poly cystic ovarian syndrome), but besides meds is there a way out of this? Any advice would help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
Re: Anxiety that is getting worse

Hi Trish, you are smart for resisting anti anxiety meds as they should be taken short term as too many people get hooked on them. I used to take klonopin then atavan then xanax and my life became a nightmare because I had to keep taking more and more pills to get the same effect. Exercise is the only thing I can think of to give you a good life. I do aerobic exercise every day and have been drug free for 15 years. You could join a gym, start out slow on a treadmill, take an aerobic class, use the weight machines etc. If you can control and manage your body you will soon find that you can control and manage your life. . I am not saying your anxiety will go away rather you will be better able to deal with it.There is no magic pill for anxiety, unfortunately. Stay well

The Following User Says Thank You to lenvegas For This Useful Post:
TrishLives17 (02-24-2013)
Old 12-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
(female)

greeneyez 1966 HB User
Re: Anxiety that is getting worse

does your anxiety seem worse in the morning?? i have been struggling with anxiety and depression for 6 weeks and it seems fine during the day but when i wake up in the morning im already anxious and i get these crying spells and sometimes i dont know why i am crying .

The following user gives a hug of support to greeneyez 1966:
TrishLives17 (02-24-2013)
Old 02-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
(female)

TrishLives17 HB User
Smile Re: Anxiety that is getting worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenvegas View Post
Hi Trish, you are smart for resisting anti anxiety meds as they should be taken short term as too many people get hooked on them. I used to take klonopin then atavan then xanax and my life became a nightmare because I had to keep taking more and more pills to get the same effect. Exercise is the only thing I can think of to give you a good life. I do aerobic exercise every day and have been drug free for 15 years. You could join a gym, start out slow on a treadmill, take an aerobic class, use the weight machines etc. If you can control and manage your body you will soon find that you can control and manage your life. . I am not saying your anxiety will go away rather you will be better able to deal with it.There is no magic pill for anxiety, unfortunately. Stay well
Thanks for you advice. I used to dance for years so that helped with the anxiety when it came around. After I finished college I have stopped dancing. I used to do some gym classes, but I had to stop because of improper sneakers almost led me to twisting an ankle. Recently I have picked up my great reading habits and that has helped a lot. My therapist taught me a breathing exercise to do when I am really anxious. I do intend on going back to the gym because I was a little more relaxed with that. I am pretty happy I did not take the drugs route. One less thing to worry about.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
(female)

TrishLives17 HB User
Smile Re: Anxiety that is getting worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyez 1966 View Post
does your anxiety seem worse in the morning?? i have been struggling with anxiety and depression for 6 weeks and it seems fine during the day but when i wake up in the morning im already anxious and i get these crying spells and sometimes i dont know why i am crying .
Yes! That is when my crying would be the worst. I would wake up, and as soon as my mind realizes I am conscious, I am crying. It gets very annoying. What I did was starting reading as soon as felt like I was crying. I also wrote in a journal to help distract my mind. Little by little I was able to stop crying as soon as I woke up. Now I can lay in bed after waking up without crying! It is a process, but it can be done!

The Following User Says Thank You to TrishLives17 For This Useful Post:
kimberllll (03-02-2013)
Closed Thread

Tags
anxiety, anxiety attacks, polycystic ovary syndrome, relationship