It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
(female)

Cashew8411 HB User
Anxiety and intrusive thoughts during pregnancy

Please help! I have been suffering with depression and anxiety throughout my life. I take celexa and trazodone to help and also see a psychologist regularly. I've only been on the medication this time around for about 2.5 months and I just found out in pregnant for the 1st time. I always wanted a baby but I am terrified to get off the medication. I'm suffering from panic attacks and intrusive thoughts and its over bearing! Can somebody help who is in a similar situation? I am only about 4 weeks pregnant and I am going to start weening off the meds. My intrusive thoughts are mostly about harming myself or the child but I know I am not evil but I feel nuts! The thoughts scare me so badly and then I end up panicking over them and over the panic. What is safe to do or take if medication is out if the question? How have others gotten through it?! Please help!

Old 01-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
(female)

leelee58 HB User
Re: Anxiety and intrusive thoughts during pregnancy

I had the same thing when I was your age. I had 3 children and am now 54 years old. You can get over this but you must wean off the medicine slowly with your doctors approval. Put your mind on other things. Walk, read books, meditate, pray, and remember these are just thoughts. Try to ignore them as best as possible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
(female)

Cashew8411 HB User

Thank you so much. How did you get through it? Did the symptoms subside for you any during the pregnancy and after your child was born?

Old 01-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
(female)

veruka77 HB User

I am a Mother of 3, and had to take medication with all three pregnancies. Luckily all my Children were perfectly healthy. My doctor felt it was best for ME to continue my meds at a lower dose. My panic, and thoughts were so severe that I ended up becoming very depressed. My doctor advised that the depression could be worst for the baby then the actual side effects of the low dose medication I was taking. If you feel like you can not get better on your own then consult with your physician and see what he or she recommends. Best of luck!!

Old 01-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
(female)

Cashew8411 HB User

Thank you so much. I see my doctor this week and will discuss all of this with him. Sometimes my anxiety and panic gets so bad that I wish for a miscarriage which also causes the anxiety. I know deep down I don't want a miscarriage but the intrusive thoughts make me think I do b/c I have such bad anxiety. I start questioning everything, especially myself.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
(female)

leelee58 HB User

I know i spent time reading the book of psalms and praying for God to heal me and I believe He did. It took time, and everyday got a little better. I also had a supportive husband and a friend I would call when a panic attack would hit. She was a nurse and would remind me that it would pass, and I would walk outside and breathe slowly and it would pass. When the baby was born, I did experience post partum depression and took anti-depressants for a while, and then that got better too. I don't know what causes all of this but I know you can get better. A lot of it is fear and your thoughts, but your thoughts do not control you. Believe that you are strong and try to think good thoughts. You will be a good mother.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:14 AM   #7
(female)

veruka77 HB User

Just remember those thoughts feel very real, but they are not. They are the anxiety talking. You will feel better, and just take everyday as it comes. Best of luck to you, and please keep us updated.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:31 AM   #8
(female)

Cashew8411 HB User

Thank you so much. Means a lot to hear that from people you don't even know. It's reasurring to hear of other women going through the same thing. Did you guys have intrusive thoughts as well? Did you feel excited and happy to be pregnant? Right now I don't at all and this is all I ever wanted.

The following user gives a hug of support to Cashew8411:
veruka77 (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #9
(female)

veruka77 HB User

You're welcome. I'm glad that I could offer some help, because there were times that I felt so alone in the world. I did have intrusive thoughts while pregnant. It was tough because I too wanted to have babies more then anything and while I was pregnant the anxiety got so overwhelming that I did wish I wasn't pregnant. Even now after 3 beautiful babies I sometimes wish I wasn't a Mom. I want to run away, and never look back. But I know that is the anxiety talking because I love my children so much and I know that I could never leave them. I just have to convince myself that it is the anxiety, and its not me.
I like to look at anxiety as a 3rd person who has invaded my space. I let him in let him do his thing and then I tell him to leave. I know its not easy to do when you are in the throws of it, but it does help me. Just try not to pay to much attention to what the anxiety is telling you because its not real. It plays on your worst fears and emotions. The more power you give it the stronger it becomes.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
(female)

Cashew8411 HB User

THANK YOU! I have felt so ashamed and guilty for having these thoughts. Everyone is just so happy and glowing and excited and then there's me. I am not "thrilled" I am just scared and want all this anxiety and thoughts to go away.
It's nice to hear of similar situations, makes me feel less crazy.

Closed Thread

Tags
anxiety, depression, intrusive thoughts, pregnancy