It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
(female)

BritMarie HB User
Anxiety-My Story

Hey Everyone, I am new here and this is my first post. I have suffered from anxiety for a few years now, but it seems to have got worse in the last 5 months. I had a doctors appointment and had to wait for results and that is what set it off this time. I am completely healthy as I have been back and forth to the doctor and they keep telling me the same thing ---> "there is nothing wrong with you!!." But I just can't seem to shake the feeling that they are wrong. I seem to notice everything now too. Every ache and pain in my body, every mark on my skin and my veins seem to be more visible than they were before. I try so hard to think back and be like "was this here before?" "have my veins always been like this??" I went to see my doctor and she put on some medication but they haven't really kicked in yet. I feel anxious all the time. I am constantly sighing, I get muscle spasms (the more anxious I feel or the more I think about it the more spasms I get), headaches, body shakes, I feel like there is constant electricity running through my body and I feel tired all the time. Everyday seems like a struggle and I feel like no one really understands. My husband has been through the same thing and does understand but he isn't in my body/mind so he still doesn't fully get how I am feeling and thinks that I should just be able to get over it. Anxiety affects my every day life. I do have an appointment with a mental health worker in two weeks, so I am really hoping that will get me back on track. I just want to feel like myself again

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

dksea HB Userdksea HB Userdksea HB User
Re: Anxiety-My Story

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time, I know when I'm struggling with anxiety (from my OCD) I tend to be overly sensitive to physical sensations too which of course makes the anxiety worse!

For treating anxiety there are basically two approaches (and they can be used together). One is medication, the other is cognitive behavioral therapy. Your mental health worker should hopefully be able to get you started on one or both, but in the meantime you can do some reading on your own to get started. At the top of this Webb page there is a link for HealthBoards Anxiety center which has information and resources. You can also find books on CBT that might be useful on your favorite online shopping sites. Learning more about my OCD, how it works and how it's treated has been a help in my recovery, hopefully understanding your condition better will be good for you too!

Old 01-17-2013, 06:33 AM   #3
(female)

BritMarie HB User

Thank you. I actually have a CBT book at home that I have been trying to read. I am having an awful time this morning as my dr has taken me off of clonazepam and put me on celexa. I took my second dose last night and this morning I got up and started my morning routine and all of the sudden my body started getting warm and my heart started racing ... it felt like my body was on fire. I am now sitting at work trying to calm my self down because I can feel it starting to happen again.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

dksea HB Userdksea HB Userdksea HB User

I hope the Celexa is able to help you, I've been on Celexa for about 10 years and its been so helpful to me. Keep in mind it can take a few weeks to really kick in and even then to find the right dosage level, so don't give up if it doesn't make a difference right away. Even if the Celexa isn't as effective, there are other SSRIs too, some people respond better to one than another so there's LOTS of options out there to help you.

I've used Clonazepam from time to time myself so I have some experience there too. Especially if you have been on it for awhile its best to come off it slowly, heightened anxiety is one possible side effect if you stop too quickly. Be sure to follow up,with your doctor on how you are responding so you can gauge the med changes properly.

Closed Thread