It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
(female)

akashamoonstone HB User
Unhappy scared to swallow food...whats wrong with me??

Since the summer, I started to develop a fear of swallowing food. I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks already and if that isn't frustrating enough, now I have this. It comes and goes but I have had it all summer then it went away. It decided to come back about a month ago and its frustrating. I have to get up and walk around and pace back and forth because it feels like maybe sitting down is what causes it. Its like I forget how to swallow and my mind forces me to rethink whether or not to swallow the food in my mouth so I end up chewing it for a while and releasing it little by little, or panic and spit it out. My family is concerned and since i have no medical insurance, I cant go to the doc so I am dealing with this.
Sometimes, I can get a few bites in and I'm fine, and then suddenly it starts. It takes me more than an hour to eat food and I get so angry that this happens and sometimes I even start to cry. Does anyone know how I may be able to help myself get over this?? I feel like im going crazy... :-(

Old 02-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
(female)

notcoping6 HB User
Re: scared to swallow food...whats wrong with me??

Hello, I COMPLETELY understand as I'm going through the exact same thing. I have panic attacks/ Panic disorder and this happens to me aswell. I have noticed mine has progressed in stage, first it started I couldn't eat stringy food ect spinach, beef schnitzel, then it was I couldn't eat in public, then it was I couldn't swallow my own saliva indoors when in public, now I'm struggling to get food down. My mind is always so concentrated on swallowing I feel gaggy and like it doesn't go down then I panic. I'm stressed 24/7 about it. This actually did happen this time last year, but then I got over it when I resumed school. But it came back when I had a panic attack around 3 weeks ago. I haven't yet found the solution but this is serious, and shouldn't have to be experienced. I suggest you do see a doctor, and I am currently waiting on a Psychiatrist to discuss anti anxiety pills, this might be the cause of why I feel like this.. <edit> happy to help eachother. best wishes to us xx

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-01-2013 at 02:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread