It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
(male)

NateDunning HB User
Possible anxiety?

I'm not 100% sure, nor have I reached out for professional advice, however I'm almost positive I have anxiety.

Leg aches, knee aches, neck aches (which I think result in occasional headaches), dizziness, felling faint, small panic attacks, tiredness, and short of breath. I'm sure a few of these result from the small panic attacks. And of course most of all I'm always worried about the simplest of things... even things that have already happened. I do have depression, which is the only condition I am clinically diagnosed with. Could anxiety have progressed from the depression?

And now lastly, if it is anxiety what are some "home remedies?" I'm 19 and without health insurance, so going to a therapist or doctors is almost out of the question. And I know medicine is extremely pricey to begin with. So, can anything be done at home to ease the symptoms?

Old 01-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

dksea HB Userdksea HB Userdksea HB User
Re: Possible anxiety?

Anxiety and depression can definitely occur together (this is called comorbidity) and many of the symptoms you describe could be related to anxiety disorder. However if you are experiencing these symptoms often it could be that some illness is causing them and also the anxiety you feel. It would be ideal if you can find a way to get checked out by a doctor for your physical symptoms if at all possible. Under recent changes in the law children are eligible to be covered by their parents until a later age than before, I don't know if that's an option for you. There may also be assistance you qualify for if you are on your own with a low income. You should do some research to see if you qualify for any state or federal assistance in getting at least some basic medical coverage. That's double true if you have any type of disability and clinical depression can qualify in some cases. Even if its for just one visit speaking with a doctor would be beneficial in both helping lay out your options AND ruling out any physical problems that may be contributing to your anxiety.

There are steps you can do to address anxiety on your own. Cutting out caffeine from your diet for example is a very good idea. Eating a well balanced diet is another. Vitamin supplements may also be helpful in maintaining your overall health which could help your anxiety. Some believe certain vitamins are beneficial for anxiety but the clinical evidence is limited in most cases.

The main therapeutic approach for treating anxiety is through the use of cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). Although it would be best if you were to work with a qualified mental health professional to treat your symptoms, there are a number of high quality books and workbooks that will allow you to self study these techniques and treatments. A quick search on Amazon will give you some choices. I can recommend the Anxiety and Phobia Workbook personally.

Beyond that I would suggest looking for an Anxiety support group in your area. Generally these groups are free and you can learn valuable tips and techniques from other members in addition to being able to talk to people who understand what you are going through. That alone can be a pretty powerful help when you are struggling, to know you are not alone and see other people with your problems able to overcome them.

I hope you can find the relief you seek, even if it takes longer than you want it too, don't give up, it does get better!

The Following User Says Thank You to dksea For This Useful Post:
NateDunning (02-03-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2013, 11:40 PM   #3
(male)

NateDunning HB User

I will definitely check about the health insurance. I had no idea that I could get it.

Doing some more research I did learn that my physical symptoms may in fact be due to anxiety. I am pretty positive it's anxiety and not something else. Not saying I am right though as I should get checked by a professional.

The reason I haven't been on in weeks is a move (State to State), so I know I'm late in replying. I've noticed when I am focused on doing a task I am less anxious, which I am sure could be a tool in relaxing and trying not to think about things too much. The physical symptoms and anxiety is gone. Kind of hard to explain in text., but when I am 100% focused on a task, even simple ones, I am completely normal.. no symptoms or anything.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

dksea HB Userdksea HB Userdksea HB User

Well stressful events can definitely heighten our anxiety symptoms and moving can be pretty stressful so maybe that's part of it. Also I'm the same way about being busy and not noticing symptoms or having anxiety, most people are in fact. When you are busy with something interesting its a lot harder for your mind to wander and focus on the anxiety after all. Keeping buys can be a very productive part of dealing with anxiety.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #5
(male)

NateDunning HB User

That's true. It may not be that anxiety goes away, but rather the task suppresses it in a way. Any way it does help. I've been getting more exercise in, which might be working as well.

Closed Thread

Tags
anxiety, depression, home remedies