It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
(female)

junebug0102 HB User
Unhappy Panic/fears does anyone else feel this way???

I was diagnosed with panic disorder, anxiety, and depression 6 years ago after my mom passed away. My doctor put me on Lexapro which I was taking up until October when we decided that it was time for me to come off of it. For the past 6 years my panic attacks had minimized so much that I rarely had any. I felt I was able to control it and or thought I didnt suffer from it any longer. In January I started feeling a little down again but thought I could just get through it cause I always get down around the holidays since my mom passed but then my grandpa passed away. The initial news of that was of course upsetting to me and I started getting a little anxious but nothing major. He lived in California. My brother approached me with the thought of us going out for the service and at first I was really wanting to go because I hadnt seen my family out there in 5 years. We made the decision to go. From the moment we purchased the tickets I started having severe unmanaging panic and anxiety to the point where I completely lost touch of reality and had to go back to see my doctor. He immidiately put me back on the lexapro and told me he wanted me to go see a phyciatrist for counseling and to get the opinion on a phyciatrist to see if Lexapro is the right medication for me to be on. I went to California, though I do not know how I even got on that plane but had a miserable time the whole time I was there with constant panic and anxiety. It's been a little over a week since I started the lexapro again and almost a week since Ive been back from California and I am still feeling weird in the head. I am still feeling not like myself and still having feelings of losing touch with reality. I feel so down and depressed about this whole thing that I feel like I am permanently damaged and feel like I am going insane. I just want to feel normal again. Why is this happening to me? Has anyone else experienced this? Panic attacks are supposed to happen and then go away and you feel better but this one seems to have stayed with me for 3 weeks now. Why am I still feeling like this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

dksea HB Userdksea HB Userdksea HB User
Re: Panic/fears does anyone else feel this way???

I'm sorry about your loss, stressful events like that can definitely worsen anxiety. I hope the Lexapro is able to help you settle back down, keep in mind SSRIs like Lexapro can take a few weeks to start having a noticeable effect.
It sounds like what you are suffering from is anxiety, because you are right panic attacks are sudden and short. Though they do occur together in some of us.

In addition to seeing a psychiatrist Id also recommend a therapist who is familiar with treating anxiety disorders. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy can be very effective at treating anxiety and that way you won't have to rely on the medication alone, though its certainly helpful, especially in tough times.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
(female)

junebug0102 HB User

Thank you so much for the reply. I am going to contact my doctor to see if he can refer me to a therapist cause I do think that I need to go and talk to someone. The initial phyciatrist that he referred me to does not take my insurance so now I have to find one that does take my insurance. I'm just so depressed that this is happening to me and cannot get out of a slum. It's been two weeks on the Lexapro and I do know that it does take time to kick in but I just want to feel better now!!! I know I have to be patient though. Again thanks for the reply.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

No problem. I definitely understand the wanting it to be better now feeling, I'm one of the least patient people around and that has been something I've really struggled with in my OCD too.

While you are working on seeing a therapist you might want to grab a book or two to help you. I recommend "The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook". It's a CBT based approach to working on your anxiety. It's not going to make you better over night but hopefully it can help get you started and sometimes just taking those steps can help alleviate things a little since you'll feel like you are taking active steps to get better.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
(female)

junebug0102 HB User

Thank you for your advice. I actually got a workbook about 7 years ago whenn this first started happening to me. I do recall it working. I'll have to go and get another one. I've had a really bad couple of days and to top it off I have bronchitis right now so it is not helping me since I am feeling so sick, weak, and tired but cannot sleep and have a very limited appetite. I've been calling my doctor almost every day his receptionists are probably sick of hearing from me. Tomorrow I will be getting in touch with a phyciatrist so I can start dealing with this and to see if I am on the right medication. Again, thanks for the advice and basically just listening.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Sorry to hear you are sick! Good luck with your psychiatrist appointment and feel better soon.

Closed Thread