It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
(female)

Lucky0611 HB User
Could These Breathing Issues Be Caused by Anxiety??

Hi,

This is my 1st time posting on this website. I am an almost 34yo female.

For about the last month I have been MAJORLY worried that I have ALS. I won't get into the whole story about what "symptoms" I "believe" I have, but I am beginning to realize that I am ok and those thoughts are starting to exit my head.

The thing is though that a little less than a week ago when I was in the throws of really worrying, I began to realize that I was struggling to catch a full breath. I am not in any pain breathing. When I really think and dwell over this, it is very hard for me to get a good, full breath. I seems like if I do things like burp or yawn it gets easier to get that nice full breath.

When I am engaged with my 5 and 3 yo children (like over this past weekend for Easter) it is not a problem at all.

Does this sound like breathing issues due to worry/anxiety? Am I making any sense at all even? Has anyone else ever experienced this before? Thank you in advance for any replies!

Old 04-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
(female)

Vrsvla HB User
Re: Could These Breathing Issues Be Caused by Anxiety??

It's really common to think you can't breathe when you're freaking out, I get that all the time. That's what leads to hyperventilating. If something was actually wrong with your lungs, really noticeable things like your lips or fingers turning blue would happen (yikes!), as well as pain, which you said you don't have.

I have a great friend that I'm able to call when I get like that during panic attacks, he's helped me not worry as much about it. He always tells me to not even try to have a "full" breath, that my body does just fine getting enough oxygen without me thinking about it. I think the fact that you are okay when playing with your kids shows that it's just anxiety. I know it's not as easy as "just anxiety" though, but it's better then having a lot of other things!

Hope that helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
(female)

Lucky0611 HB User

Thank you for your reply. I never even thought about the fact that if there was something really wrong with my lungs that I would have other noticeable signs in other places on my body.

I went ahead and made a doctor's apt. with my general physician as my yearly physical with her isn't until November. I really would like to just talk to a professional about this and get some peace of mind. We'll see how it goes...

Old 04-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
(female)

Vrsvla HB User

Totally understandable, I see my doctor all the time! It's probably nothing, but still better to be safe!

Old 04-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
(female)

nuttylady HB User

Hey there, I used to get this "breathing thing" all the time, especially when I was/am stressed. I feel that I cannot get a full breath in or a deep satisfying breath. When it gets out of control I even want to try to yawn every few minutes, which really doesn't make sense when you stop and think about it. The more I thought about it the worse it became. When I speak to my Dr. about this she too says it's stress and anxiety. Your friend is correct when he says that you don't need to take deep breaths every time. Stay calm, breath in slowly count to five and release and DO NOT try to take those deep fulfilling breaths every few times. I now know three people who get this as well and whenever I see them we chat about it and it always makes me feel better knowing that I'm not alone. When I first read your post I had to answer because I know EXACTLY how you feel and the scary feeling of "thinking" you can't breathe....do not worry please and take my advice and slow down, count and do not try to take the deep breaths.....ALL THE BEST

Old 04-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
(female)

Lucky0611 HB User

Thank you both for your responses. I went to my GP yesterday and I am soooooo glad that I did. First, she really put my mind to ease about having ALS (which is why this all started in the first place.) My reflexes are perfect, no signs of muscle atrophy, especially in my right hand where I thought this all started, etc. She did draw blood to do a CBC and check my thyroid. She also sent over an Rx for very low dose Zanax. She mentioned that she likes to work by cause and effect, so if I decide to take the pill if the anxiety starts up again and the symptoms then go away, we know 100% it is anxiety. I'm not really sure if I want to get into the Zanax right away, but I do feel so much better already. We'll see, but thank you again!

Old 04-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
(female)

Lucky0611 HB User

Oh, and my dr. also referred a counselor. I think that I would go that route first before going the Rx route.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
(female)

Vrsvla HB User

Good to hear!

Closed Thread

Tags
als, breathing, mother