It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
(female)

scaredyunglady HB User
Unhappy please help me

Well my story started when i went to the Dr. because i had a headache with pressure in my right eye for 3 days. At that time i also had a stuffy nose. He prescribed me antibiotics, allegra and antihistamine. What bothered me was that during the visit he mentioned that he did not like the way my neck looked and asked if i had ever been tested for thyroid. He also went off about diabetes because of my weight. Anyway, after hearing "thyroid" i came home and started reading everything in sight in this regard. I became incredibly paranoid and now i start trying to diagnose myself. One thing led to another and i start reading everything from a cold to cancer. After 2 days of reading i suddenly start having what i think is lightheadedness because i dont actually feel like i lose balance but everything becomes a blur suddenly. Being the worry wort i am, now im reading all about aneurysms, brain tumors and cancer actually convincing myself that this is why i feel this way. I have aches in my shoulder blades now and pain under my arm. I barely have an appetite. I dont want to leave my bed and just dont even want to do little things for my children. Is it likely that i am suffering with some sort of anxiety or stress or depression due to the Dr. mentioning this test? Prior to this all i had was the eye pressure and cold, now i feel like pure crap. Now i feel every ache and pain. Please sympathize with me and just give me some feedback. I am scheduled for a CBC tomorrow but that will be another 2 weeks of torture waiting for results. Im just so confused because i have been through stress before and have suffered 2 panic/anxiety attacks last year for the first time ever but i never suffered with being lightheaded or dizziness, whatever it may be.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
(female)

aspiemom13 HB User
Re: please help me

Hi Scared,

first of all-stop reading. Take a deep breath. Anxiety about health issues is an awful feeling and I have suffered from it myself. Get the blood work done and make a followup appointment to see the doctor to discuss the results. Many of the symptoms you have described could be caused by anxiety, by the medications you were just described, just about anything for that matter. You do have my sympathy, believe me. But in all honesty, the best thing you can do is to distract yourself from your thoughts. Read a book, watch a movie, or best of all, spend some time with your kids. Anything which keeps my mind busy and off the issue at hand works the best for me. I know that it is hard but it really does help. You are in my thoughts.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
(female)

scaredyunglady HB User

Thank you so much for responding. I really do appreciate it. I often find that no one responds which is sort of discouraging especially when i thought this site was intended for support. You are right, i need to quit googling myself to death. I definitely have been a sufferer of Health anxiety for some time. I will take things one day at a time and just pray for the best. I really just hope that the lightheaded feeling subsides.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
(female)

aspiemom13 HB User

I really do understand what the fear and anxiety is like. Don't push yourself but keeping your mind active is a huge help. Distraction is often the only thing that works for me at times like this. The lightheadedness could really be anything. It can certainly be a side effect of many medications, viral illnesses and the list goes on. It would not surprise me at all to find that it can be caused by anxiety as well. As I sit here typing I seem to recall my son complaining of it in the past months when he was experiencing major anxiety. If you get an opportunity to post, I would be very interested to hear how you make out at the doctor's appointment coming up. I know what it is like to feel alone in this struggle and I want you to know that I care.You are not alone.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
(male)

rpg444 HB User

its true. you need to stop reading up on all that stuff. i've had someone close to me diagnosed with lung cancer and it has sent me into overwhelming anxiety / panic attacks. i feel as though i'm dying. anything i feel on my body i think is cancer. it's all i think about, but i'm afraid to look it up online or read about it. i know it would just add to the fear. you're definetly not alone on those feelings. i'm going through almost the same thing right now. if you need support i will help all i can. you're not alone. its better to have someone to talk and share these feelings with than to go through it alone. if you need support i will help all i can

Old 05-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

I have the same problem I google my health all the time. Right now, I have itchy bumps all over and I am googling all over and I think I just have stress. I would take the advise everyone offered by keeping your mind busy and don't give your chance to think and ponder about the "what ifs" - I have thyroid problems and it doesn't effect my life in anyway so don't worry. Everything has a way of working out. "Worry is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere." Please hang in there.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
(female)

scaredyunglady HB User

First off, i truly thank you guys for showing concern and responding to this thread. It amazes me that so many view this board yet so little respond. It often helps when you see that you are not the only one suffering. Anyway, my symptoms have not changed as I still am getting lightheaded (a little less but still there) My heart palpitations stopped but i still have chest tightness. Now i find myself getting a headache which most times is mild to moderate. I received my bloodwork back and the doctor says everything was normal. I have to get and EKG to rule out heart disease. Because i started getting headaches i also made an appointment for the neurologist. Im totally freaking out and i just cant shake these thoughts. I have so much pain in my shoulders, neck and back of my head. I try not to think of it but its so hard. It seems like the only time i have a piece of mind is when im sleeping. As soon as i wake up the thoughts start again. I will not lie and say that i am truly worried and i really do hope it all comes down to anxiety because i dont know what i will do if it was something severe. I read these boards often just to see that im not the only one. Again i thank you guys and feel free to respond

Old 05-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
(female)

badsquirrel HB User

I'm so glad I found this health board... it's good to know I'm not alone. I can convince myself that a skeeto bite...... it's brain cancer, and I'm going to die.... or a twitch in my left pectoral muscle is a heart attack,... our a simple headache is brain cancer..... after all these years I've realized my ( health anxiety) comes from the unknown..... you see if I chop my finger off, as bad as that seems, I'd have no anxiety.... because I can see it with my own eyes, I know it will be fixed, I know I won't die.... the thing that's always getting my health anxiety going are the things I don't know what's going on in my body.....I hate living like that, other people can be so simple like " oh my leg been hurting"-.... if Its me, I'm like "I didn't fall, I don't see nothing, there's no bruise" and next thing you know I'm dying of some blood clot..... then I get so worked up...I can't breathe right, heart beats faster, feel shaky.... of course adds to it all, now for sure I'm dying, because I sure feel like I'm dying........ HEALTH ANXIETY- go away!!!!!

Last edited by ms_mod; 05-24-2013 at 12:20 PM.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
(female)

aspiemom13 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredyunglady View Post
Because i started getting headaches i also made an appointment for the neurologist. Im totally freaking out and i just cant shake these thoughts. I have so much pain in my shoulders, neck and back of my head. I try not to think of it but its so hard.
Hi Scared, I'm glad to hear that the bloodwork was good. I am not a doctor by any means but thought I would mention my experience with pain in my shoulders, neck and back and perhaps it might give you some relief. About a year ago I was experiencing terrible pain in the areas described and my headaches were awful. I do suffer from migraines so headaches are not a new thing. These felt different-not worse-just different. My anxiety was getting the best of me because wondering what could be wrong was making everything worse. Of course it was over a holiday weekend. I ended up at a walk in clinic and found out that the muscles and nerves in my neck were causing the headaches and the neck and shoulder pain. It was due to both anxiety/stress and the fact that I was on the computer alot and making alot of jewellery. Both the computer and the jewellery meant that I was holding my head in a position which caused alot of neck and back problems-both with nerves and muscles. After seeing a chiropractor and getting some massages it felt alot better. I had myself in such a state that I was convinced I was suffering one of a number of horrible medical conditions. I bring this up because stress and anxiety as well as holding your head/neck in certain positions can cause alot of the problems you are describing. It also caused me to feel nauseated, lightheaded and dizzy. And worrying about it just made it that much worse. I just want you to know that it can be something really basic that cause what you are describing and not a life threatening condition at all. What we can do to ourselves with worry is just awful.Hang in there and if you can afford it I would suggest trying a therapeutic massage to see if it might make a little difference. If nothing else, it might help you relax a bit. Hang in there!

Closed Thread