It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
(female)

kendall71394 HB User
Unhappy i am so sick of feeling this way!!

i am an 18 year old female. for about 2 months now i have had terrible anxiety. i went to the doctor and she sent me for blood work. results came back and they said everything was normal except i have an iron deficiency she prescribed me 10mg of Celexa for the anxiety but i decided not to take it because i am trying my hardest not to be on any prescription drugs. so i decided to go to GNC and pick up a multi-vitamin and a stress/anxiety pill that i take twice a day everything is natural. i have also been dealing with constant shortness of breath. i yawn and sigh ALL day long and it drives me absolutly crazy! i told my doctor about that as well so they gave me a lung function test... that came back perfectly fine as well. i should also add in that iv'e been smoking for 4 years now, but ive calmed down on my smoking a lot. i honestly don't know what to do anymore. I complain to my friends and family constantly about it and im pretty sure everyone is getting sick of it. im actually in the process of quitting ciggs now to see if that would help. so to get to the whole point of this.... my anxiety is better now but this breathing sucks!! can anyone give me some good advice or something to help me... do you guys think this is all in my head?

Old 06-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
(male)

Seekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB User
Re: i am so sick of feeling this way!!

Kendall, do you have a list of the blood tests that the doctor tested you for? Did the anxiety start suddenly or did it come on slowly at first? What are the symptoms that you feel when you feel anxiety? Is it just the anxious feeling, do you feel tired and depressed? Are you able to socialize with your loved ones? Do you find yourself irritable? Any sensitivity to sounds, lights, or temperature changes? Are you a coffee or caffeine drinker? Has there been any changes in your life that may have triggered the anxiety?

I ask all of this because it could be as simple as your body adjusting to the change in nicotine, perhaps it could be a change in your hormones or it could be a deficiency in your metabolism.

Have the multivitamins helped at all? Seeing what tests the doctor tested you for will give us an idea of what may be triggering the anxiety.

Unfortunately, doctors nowadays will prescribe antidepressants instead of trying to get to the bottom of the problem. Not that this is always a problem. There are people who do need the antidepressants and cannot function without them. But there are many other people who have an altogether different issue and the anxiety is secondary to the main issue. Addressing the secondary issue will not fix the main problem. Asking the right questions and having the person keep track of all the symptoms, no matter how inconsequential helps to make for a better diagnosis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
(female)

kendall71394 HB User

hi! thank you so much for replying! and no i dont have the paper with the tests they did on me. ive had anxiety in the past and wouldnt even leave my house that year, but that was due to a horrible breakup. ( both times i have had anxiety they have been right when summer starts) do you think allergies could be affecting me breathing? also yes im tired most of the time but when it comes to sleeping I JUST CANT SLEEP!! im not depressed at all, because of the fact that i dont want to go out and do anything because of this breathing thing my friends usually come over here. the multies are working my chewing ice (all the time!) went away (iron) no i have no sensitivities to anything and no when i drink coffee its always decaf. honestly my anxiety hasn't really been that bad. The last time i had a panic attack was about 2-3 weeks ago. the only problem im really having now is this shortness of breath. and its from the time i wake up to the time i go to sleep. I dont wake up gasping for air or wake up in the middle of the night for any reason. it just starts happening when i first wake up. its just getting super annoying!! my birthday is in 13 days and i want to go out clubbing and stuff... but feeling like this i feel like thats almost impossible. everyone keeps telling me "kendall its in your head" " you focus on your breathing to much" ... ive never hyperventalated or anything like that. its just when i take a deep breath i feel like my lugs arent flling up all the way blaaaaah!!!!

Old 06-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
(male)

Seekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB User

The problem could be acid reflux. At night it comes up the esophagus and causes all sorts of problems. I had the same problem every morning. I had an endoscopy done and they found that I had an irritated esophagus. You chewing on ice makes me think that the ice soothes your irritation.

In the USA we have a liquid antacid by the name of Gaviscon. What makes this special is that it soothes your throat, esophagus and stomach as it goes down. See if this or something similar is available in your area. You might also want to raise the headboard side of your bed about 15 centimeters. What this does is that it keeps the acid down in your stomach helping you breathe better.

As I said, I had breathing problems every morning. I could breathe OK but it felt as if the oxygen that I was breathing didn't have enough oxygen so I found myself gasping for air. This is a scary feeling because if you can't breathe you choke and that gave me panic attacks. I could take deep breaths so i knew it wasn't my lungs but I still panicked. At no time did i feel like i was choking so it is hard to explain. After I started the gaviscon it immediately felt better but each morning I had to do this. Once I raised my bed I no longer had this problem and have not had to take the Gaviscon for that ever since. I found some pieces of wood in the garage and they were good enough.

If you think that it may be allergies then it is worth going to the doctor to get tested. It is weird that it only happens in the summer. The doctor may give you a steroidal inhaler that will dilate your bronchial passages so that you can breathe easier.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
(female)

iAlmostDo HB User

In this context, it is not all in your head. I am taking Celexa for my anxiety and depression. I also took blood tests that cost me over $100 (I'm a college kid on a budget!) and came back completely clean! I take it, and it helps a lot. I tried very hard to go without meds, but it is so much harder. One's mind can be such a horrid thing. I think the breathing issues has to do with the anxiety. Have you tried mindfulness? It focuses on breathing and being "in this moment." It is very helpful if you keep it up.

Stay strong. Just remember we are all in this together. Sending positive vibes.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:34 AM   #6
(female)

Belkeys HB User

Hi Kendall71394, I am having the same problem to with the shortness of breath. I went to the ER and they told me it was anxiety. I went to my doctor and was given an inhaler, I haven't used it yet because I am afraid of getting use to it. I suffer from GERD also and tried the Gaviston it really works. So now, I listen to relaxing music and do meditation that seems to help. Keep in touch.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
(female)

kendall71394 HB User

Hey! wow it feels good to know that someone else is suffering with this!! yeah i actually went to the store and bought gaviscon or whatever its called. it works somewhat. but like today my dad came into town and my breathing has just been super annoying. ive been yawning all day and just cant get that deep breath.!! i went for my chest xray and they said everything looked good. so it has to be anxiety. it just realllly sucks!! it hasnt been as bad the past few days but for some reason tody has been pretty bad!! do you yawn alot??

Old 07-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
(female)

Belkeys HB User

Hi Kendall71394,
yes I yawn sometimes. It really gets annoying. I have started exercising. I found a 10 minute exercise call "Stretch and De-Stress that helps me with my anxiety and also deep breathing exercises. I just can't wait until this goes away. Keep in touch

Old 07-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
(female)

kendall71394 HB User

ughhh these past 2 days have been terrible for me. i think its my anxiety. i just cant get that full breath... it sucks

Old 07-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
(female)

Belkeys HB User

Hi Kendall71394, I was told I have....GERD-silent reflex. I can not have tomatoes, onions, garlic, orange and juice, avocados, strawberries, blueberries and other fruits high in acid, peppers, etc. Just stay away from processed, fried and spicy foods, fruits with acid. I can have green leafy vegetables, sweet potatoes, chicken, turkey, limited red meat, bananas, melons, and other fruits and vegetables low in acid. It has been two days and it seems to be working. I hope it continues. Keep me posted on how you are feeling.

Closed Thread