It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2003, 12:59 AM   #1
(male)

chriscwharris HB User
Post Weird feeling in chest!

well I'm glad to say that on the most part I generally feel OK at the moment! The only weird symptom I have at the moment is a weird lightness in my chest.

It feels a bit like palpitations are about to start, I also feel like I need to cough and sometimes burp! Now and then I get like a palpitation sensation and my whole body feels weird and shaky.

I've been thinking and at the moment I'm of the mind that this is some sort of acid reflux or similar. I had the all clear from the Docs in October with regard to my heart, they're 99% sure it's doing it's job

Anyone else get these sorts of feelings?

Old 02-12-2003, 05:53 AM   #2

pjo HB User
I get the same feelings quite often. My doctor assures me they are normal for anxiety, but it sure doesn't make me feel any better. Even if I know it won't hurt me and will go away, I still worry and then I think the worry makes it worse. You would think that taking meds would make all these symptoms go away, but, boy, it sure doesn't work that way.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2004, 08:57 AM   #3

minomat HB User
Re: Weird feeling in chest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscwharris
well I'm glad to say that on the most part I generally feel OK at the moment! The only weird symptom I have at the moment is a weird lightness in my chest.

It feels a bit like palpitations are about to start, I also feel like I need to cough and sometimes burp! Now and then I get like a palpitation sensation and my whole body feels weird and shaky.

I've been thinking and at the moment I'm of the mind that this is some sort of acid reflux or similar. I had the all clear from the Docs in October with regard to my heart, they're 99% sure it's doing it's job

same here chris, recently ive been pretty depressed and stressed out and ive been having this sensation to cough and burp. sometimes when i twist a certain way i get that sensation shoot right up my chest.

Old 01-23-2004, 09:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

minomat,

This may not help you at all, but I just thought I'd add my own personal experiance here.

I sometimes still get those weird fluttery feelings in my chest...like my heart is skipping beats, but I would also get these episodes that when I would turn a certain way, my heart would take off beating very fast, but only for a few seconds...it never lasted more than a minute.
I noticed this almost always happened when I moved a certain way.
I asked my Doctor about it..I know that panic disorder and can cause the skipped feeling and cause your heart to race, but this racing felt different to me somehow.
I'd had all kinds of tests on my heart and it was fine, so my Doctor told me that since it happened mostly with certain movements that maybe I had something out of place in my neck or back.
He said that all your nerves and things a connected and it might be worth going to see a Chiropractor.
I took his advice and went, once I got my middle back and neck put back into place those strange feelings stopped.

Like I said, this may not be the problem in your case but since you said certain movement brings it on, it might be something you'd want to look into.

I do have to warn you however, not all MD's are so willing to recomend that their patients see a Chiropractor.
I don't know why that is, but I have friends who's Doctor's tell them that a Chiropractor can't really help them...but then again these same MD's will give our muscle relaxers like they were candy.
Maybe that's why they don't like Chiropractor's...it takes money out of their pocket

Old 02-17-2004, 09:30 PM   #5

minomat HB User

Quote:

hey chris just wondering what the news was on your situation..i almost mirror the same exact feelings

The Following User Says Thank You to minomat For This Useful Post:
cm01 (07-06-2012)
Old 02-17-2004, 10:42 PM   #6

beebsqtip HB User

Quote:

Hi,

I had this a couple of weeks ago. At some point I did feel like air crawling up and down my throat which made me burp and sometimes spit up something. I too thought it was an acid reflex. I went to the doc. and he found nothing wrong with me. He said it could be some kind of gas reflex, but he can't be certain. He said its most likely to be anxiety.

Last edited by beebsqtip; 02-17-2004 at 10:43 PM.

Old 02-18-2004, 02:09 AM   #7
(male)

D@N HB User

That feeling you are describing is a classic anxiety symptom. Gas is probably one of the worst foes for people who suffer from anxiety and panic. Gas can bring on both very fast.
Gas can travel up and it can travel down.
When it's trapped, you get panic.
When it travels up, you get heart symptoms. A large build up of gas in the upper intestinal tract can cramp the space that your heart is used to having to beat nice and free. An invasion on this space by gas can cause your heart to race, chest pains, and breathlessness. You may even feel like you have just experienced heart flutters but that is only because a tremendous amount of gas has built up and is bubbling and tickling the same muscles that your brain uses to detect heart trouble.
When gas travels down, and gets stuck you can enjoy those really cool symptoms of "what if I have colon cancer". When this happens, you feel quivers in your lower abdomen, and that leads to worry, which leads to more quivers.
Get an anacid, and try some Protonix or Prevacid to cut down on the gas. Protonix is cheaper and usually just as effective.

Old 02-18-2004, 08:17 AM   #8

minomat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by D@N
That feeling you are describing is a classic anxiety symptom. Gas is probably one of the worst foes for people who suffer from anxiety and panic. Gas can bring on both very fast.
Gas can travel up and it can travel down.
When it's trapped, you get panic.
When it travels up, you get heart symptoms. A large build up of gas in the upper intestinal tract can cramp the space that your heart is used to having to beat nice and free. An invasion on this space by gas can cause your heart to race, chest pains, and breathlessness. You may even feel like you have just experienced heart flutters but that is only because a tremendous amount of gas has built up and is bubbling and tickling the same muscles that your brain uses to detect heart trouble.
When gas travels down, and gets stuck you can enjoy those really cool symptoms of "what if I have colon cancer". When this happens, you feel quivers in your lower abdomen, and that leads to worry, which leads to more quivers.
Get an anacid, and try some Protonix or Prevacid to cut down on the gas. Protonix is cheaper and usually just as effective.
thanks for the info

Old 02-20-2004, 03:52 AM   #9

7red7 HB User

I just posted a thread in the Mental Health forum about my anxiety, I wished I would have stopped in here first because I think my first post was better suited here...

I've recently had my first panic/anxiety atack two weeks ago, and since then even with taking Wellbutrin for it, I'm getting a fluttering in my chest...I have it right now as I type...Even though my doctor says it's fine and a normal symptom of an anxiety attack, it still has me worried...It feels like my chest is light and my heart skips beats, and right down the middle of my chest it feels tight and like I have to burp or have a lump in my throat...

As much as they tell me not to worry, I can't help but wonder what the hell is going on with me right now...Should this feeling scare me??? What kinds of tests can I ask my doctor to run to make sure my heart is okay???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

DAN

Old 02-21-2004, 02:01 PM   #10
(female)

jennifer.e HB User

I get those too. I was on a holter monitor and found out they were just PVC's. Pretty harmless. The thing is anxiety can trigger them and they can trigger anxiety. Also acid reflux can cause them.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:30 AM   #11
(female)

ffp HB User

I get that feeling, i was wondering if i should go to the doctors, it good to hear that other people feel this to. i have suffered from anxiety but i never feel anxous when it happends. its hard to explain, its like my beath is being takin away or something and i feel my heart pound and i have to take a beep breath in then i'm fine. either like my breath is being takin away or it feels like an air bubble in my chest. again its hard to explain.

Closed Thread