It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2003, 10:34 PM   #1

pennylane11 HB User
Question What is this feeling?

For about 2-3 years now, I get a weird feeling in my chest-upper abdomen area (not quite sure where it comes from). It doesn't happen all the time, and it doesn't hurt, but it still scares me. It feels like something has spasmed, or moved, or like a bubble popping leaving me with an empty feeling for a bit, hard to explain, and the degree of feeling varies too. My usual reaction is to cough or try and make myself burp, don't know why.
Last August, I had a really bad chest cold. Just when I was starting to get better, I had something weird happen. I was sitting in my chair (where I haven't sat since) when it was like my heart or something else pounded hard 4-5 times. There was no pain, but it scared the crap out of me, and then my pulse was racing, and I was so scared. I phoned the hospital, but they didn't seem to concerned, but I went there anyway. They did tests, and said that it was anxiety and prescribed Ativan, and sent me home. I quit smoking right then, and I had also occasionally smoked pot, but stopped then also, and haven't smoked anything ever since. I also don't drink.
Now, I have changed the way I eat in lots of ways, take vitamins all the time, been to the doctor for lots of tests, but I feel so awful every single day. I am so light headed, feel spaced out, just don't feel right. I rarely take the Ativan, and when I do it is maybe a quarter of a pil. I still have those weird feelings in my chest, and now it feels heavy or like something is stuck, and I don't feel like I breathe right. My chest is very sore alot in different areas and ways, and I have headaches and tingling at times. Every little feeling in my chest and abdomen scares me, and I hate the feeling like I am losing it. I could go on an on about my symptoms, but I shouldn't. I haven't had a doctor tell me what happened to me in August to put my mind at ease, and I haven't been actually diagnosed with anything at all. I need help, and it is almost impossible to see a good doctor where I live. Any advice would be great. I have been told that I have Costochondritis also, but that just started in the past few months also.
I am also taking vitamins, and have been basically since all of this started to happen to me. I have changed my life so much, but I still feel so crappy. I take magnesium and vitamin c and calcium and stress tabs and salmon oil every day. I thought about upping the amount of magnesium I take, but wasn't sure how much is safe. I drink water all the time, have changed some of the foods I eat, don't smoke, don't drink, don't do drugs, and yet I have never felt worse. I have lost around 20 pounds since I quit smoking. I might be able to deal with all the anxiety stuff, the dizziness, the fuzzy feeling, the headaches, etc. if someone can just tell me what the weird feeling I get is. I have had so many tests, have worn a holter monitor, been told my heart is fine. The feeling is so hard to describe, but I am pretty sure it is in my upper stomach area or somewhere around there, but not positive. It really stresses me out, not knowing. I am wondering if it is an esophogeal spasm or something like that, because it is like something spasms, or flutters, so darn hard to explain, sometimes lightly and other times more forceful. Any ideas, because my doctor blames everything on stress, and I don't think he takes me seriously whatsoever.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2003, 08:06 AM   #2

cat1 HB User
Hi Penny,
I get the same feeling in my chest that your describing. To me it's like a panicky sensation in my chest.I've had it on and off for years and it makes me feel really anxious. I have spoken to my doc on a number of occasions about it but he dismisses it and tells me it's part of anxiety but not how to get rid of it. I know that if I do relaxation techiques like abdominal breathing it does go away but I would have to practise it 24/7 to order to get permanent relief from it. I do tend to breath from the upper chest which is bad for you because it messes up the balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide in your body. I know the side effect of this causes all kinds of anxious feelings. At least we are in the same position. If you want I'll swend you my email address and we can 'talk' further about it.

Luv
Cat xx

Old 03-29-2003, 01:21 PM   #3
(female)

spungy HB User
Smile

Hi pennylane11,
First let me say that you are not alone.
I am sorry you are going through this.
I have felt everthing you are feeling and have been to the emergency and to the doctor many times.It took them 4 months of test to figure out that I was suffering from anxiety.I didn't believe the doctor at first ,because I didn't have a reason to have anxiety.
But after alot of reasearch and the help of this board,I finnaly exepted that thats what I had.I am sure this is what you have too.I too tried to change my lifestyle and it had no effect on how I felt.I took tons of suppliments and they did nothing.the first step to me getting better was to admit to myself that I have an anxiety disorder and that there is nothing wrong with my throat or chest and I will be ok.The next step was for me to stop being afraid and I started taking an antideppressant.I have been taking Celexa for 6 months now and I finally have my life back.All those horrible symtoms are gone.Hope this helps ,your not alone and yes anxiety can cause all those things you described.
take care http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gifSpungy

Old 06-24-2006, 11:19 AM   #4
(male)

dormantsoul HB User
Re: What is this feeling?

I feel this same thing and I am really freaked out. I went to the emergency room 2 weeks ago cause this feeling was just so overwhelming I couldnt take it anymore. I thought I was dying or something. I got checked out and had an x-ray of my lungs, I ended up having acute bronchitis. I done took all my meds but I am still having this dang feeling just pop up out of nowhere. It's been 2 weeks and I cant help but still feel like it's something more then just bronchitis. I am planning on seeing another doctor in a week or 2. Maybe it's just severe depression or anxiety, but what ever it is I definately dont like the feeling of it.

I am a smoker and I want to quit, I been running laps when I feel this come on. Running laps seem to help that feeling go away for a while, but it always comes back. Also when the feeling comes on I usually want to go to sleep, sleeping seems to be an escape from feeling this. It's just hard to fall asleep when I am losing my mind trying to fall asleep.

Maybe it's just stress, maybe I worry to much. I wish you all well, thanks for posting this up, I do feel a little better after reading some of this, kinda nice to not feel alone but still sorry you have to feel this. uhhh..

Old 06-24-2006, 11:58 AM   #5

ms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB User
Re: What is this feeling?

When responding to a post please be sure that the thread is still active.
This one is not, the last time it was active was well over three years ago.

If you wish to discuss this topic further please start a new thread, this one is now closed.

Ms_Mod

Closed Thread