It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2003, 08:35 AM   #1

Rob32 HB User
Post Difference between Valium and Clonazepam (Klonopin, Rivotril)?

I was wondering what the difference between Valium and Clonazepam is. I know that Clonazepam has a much higher potency, but if you are taking the equivalent dosage, is there a difference? Both have about the same half-time.

I'm not looking to take it for a longer period of time. I just need something to temporarily relief me of my anxiety, maybe once a month for a 12 hour period. I tried 20mg of Valium but it wasn't strong enough. I need something that completely suppresses my anxiety and all its symptoms.

By the way, is it true that you can let Valium tablets dissolve under the tongue instead of swallowing them? I really hate swallowing tablets. I have a phobia that I get them in my lungs.

Old 05-18-2003, 01:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
both are benzos or valium type meds,
there is no connection between the mg dose, they are all different
there is no benzo that will last 12 hours, they last about 2 to 4 hours only
20mg valium is probably too much to take all at once

no one can agree on benzo equivalent doses, clonazepam probably lasts longer in the system than valium

dont try to get too much from benzos or you may finish up addicted to them

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2003, 06:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Janik HB User
Clonazepam is ten times more potent, so the equivalent dose is ten times less than that of Diazepam. Of course, these equivalency seems to vary from one person to another.

There are less toxicity issues with the newer benzos that require smaller doses. Another advantage is that, requiring smaller doses, the potential for addiction is reduced. Which does not mean there aren't any addiction or dependency concerns with Clonazepam.

Clonazepam makes you sleepy, though, so if you really must take a benzo for anxiety, I'd recommend Xanax. But only if you really must. The dependency risk is the same for all.

Old 05-19-2003, 01:30 AM   #4

Rob32 HB User
These are some interesting points.

Hry, I didn't take 20mg all at once, I spread it out over a 12 hour period. I realize that Benzodiazepines don't last 12 hours and I don't mind taking more than one dosage. I'll probably try 15mg Valium twice a day next time. Also, I am very aware that these kind of drugs are very addictive. Like I said, I'm only going to take it once a month.

Janik, I think the appropriate dosage really has to be determined by experimenting. As you say, it varies from person to person.

I'm still not sure which drug is best for my situation.

Closed Thread