It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2003, 05:34 AM   #1
(male)

jasongeathers HB User
Post difference between xanax and valium

I'm curious about the difference in the effects of xanax and valium. I take xanax .5 mg for occasional anxiety or sleeplessness but it doesnt seem to help much if any. I've heard that valium is better if you are just taking it on occasion, and that xanax is better for regular use. Is this true? Has anyone used both and can give some info?

[This message has been edited by jasongeathers (edited 05-16-2003).]

Old 05-16-2003, 11:32 AM   #2

Tinkerhell HB User
Xanax and Valium are different in that their half lifes are different. Xanax is quick to work and quick to leave, which is bad, because it leaves your body fast. Valium lasts longer in your body. The reason why xanax is bad for this is becuase it can make it extremely addictive. i was on it and i was to the point i was taking it every 6 hours. as soon as it would wear off i would start feeling really anxious and panicky like all day. and it started giving me a weird burning scary feeling in my head. My doctor switched me from xanax to klonopin and the burning went away, and i dont feel very anxious and panicky as soon as the the klonopin wears off. In my opinion, xanax is a bad idea especially if you get in the habit of taking it a lot. But some people swear by it. I personally think its better to be on a benzo that lasts longer and is easier to get off. hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2003, 12:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
to jason,
you may need more xanax, some need a higher benzo dose than others

Old 05-16-2003, 12:22 PM   #4

Tinkerhell HB User
instead of going up, maybe you should ask to switch to a longer lasting benzo or maybe looking into something like an ssri like paxil or something.

Old 05-16-2003, 04:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Janik HB User
Xanax helps with anxiety but not for sleeplessness. I used it regularly and it helped me prevent anxiety attacks (or get milder ones). Valium is in the same family, only it is less targeted so larger doses are required. Like Tinkerhell mentioned, valium lasts longer in your system. But your problem is not a very quick effect that disappears later, you seem to be having no effect at all. Maybe these meds aren't the best for you. Your dose is already twice as much as mine.

Old 05-16-2003, 04:54 PM   #6

nickey69 HB User
Jason,

Xanax and Valium are both benzo type medications, but as Janik said (well, kinda)- Valium is more of a general "sedative" and Xanax more targeted to anxiety symptoms. Lots of people take Xanax as needed, same with Valium. I've used both, and while I prefer Valium because it works so FAST, Xanax is good for anxiety also. I would say though, that Valium would be MUCH better for insomnia. Good LUck getting one of today's doctors to prescribe Valium though..........

Old 05-17-2003, 01:43 PM   #7
(male)

jasongeathers HB User
Talking

thanks for the responses guys

Old 05-25-2003, 09:15 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User
Nicky69 (and anyone reading),

Do you think that valium use can lead to depression?

Thank you.

Old 05-25-2003, 10:22 PM   #9

nickey69 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by salty:
Nicky69 (and anyone reading),

Thank you.
Used as Needed in a dose as small as necessary? Its possible but not probable, IMHO. Abused and used everyday for "normal" anxieties? Yes, I am almost sure that it can cause a propensity towards depresssion. Afterall, its a "downer" so to speak.

Geez, with all my "support" for Benzos you'd think I own stock in Roche. I dont. I HAVE/HAD anxiety, have used BOTH benzos and SSRI's, and speak from MY OWN personal experience- Benzos Like Valium are BAR NONE, IMHO, the BEST anxiety medications- and they have been around for 40+ years.

I really hate to pine on this Benzo stuff...but after going through a few useless and EXPENSIVE SSRI experiences, I DO have an axe to grind with it. I am fed up with the medical community labeling these medications as the bogeymen, according to the experiences of a MINORITY- A VAST MINORITY of users. As in an earlier post, they worked for 40+ years and now are "bad" for people? CMON . Alas, there is NOTHING I can do to change any doctors mind; its an exercise in futility.

I just hope that people that have LEGITMATE reasons for wanting to use a benzodiazipine to HELP THIER ANXIETY PROBLEMS can find a doctor who cares about his/her patient instead of taking for granted people with such disorders are willing to try anything to get better. Unfortunately, today, that means an instant SSRI, which if it works is GREAT, but if not, IT SUCKS and is a WASTE.

Old 05-25-2003, 11:49 PM   #10
(male)

BrianKosh HB User

Thank you.

---
In my use of tranquilizers (although limited compared to most others) yes, it can lead to depression, however the depression only lasts a long as u take the drug. The tranquilizer that has the least effects to me was valium, however, I only have used that drug occasionally.. such as before medical work or tests are to be completed the next day, or Traveling on ANY airlines. I used to like flying, but each time I went it became more and more difficult, not to have an anxiety attack... (and this was waaaaay before 9/11 stuff.) Now I ask a doctor for 2 10mg tablets, and I receive 6 of the 5mg's.. Unfortunately just by looking at me, u knew I had taken the full 10mg, it gradually wore off after 4-6 hours.
As for anti-depressants being used to treat anxiety, Zoloft has got to be the worse.
(but these are just my opinions and experiences..)

Old 05-26-2003, 05:16 AM   #11

slickchick1034 HB User
I, too, was given Xanax (.25mg). I found that I almost became like "immune" to it and had to take MORE of it to get the results of what .25mg used to do for me so I can certainly see how it doesn't exactly work now for you! Not sure why this is, but I ended up not taking it anymore....and not just that, but once I moved, I had a TERRIBLE time trying to find a doctor that would give it to me.

Closed Thread