It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2004, 04:09 PM   #16

bertie6 HB User
Re: My Panic Experience

Hi Wowee

What an Insightful and Personal Story you have written there...I compliment you very much on it=)....you have given some good advice, and have shared a story that everyone on here can relate to..I see that it is an old post...but definitely worth another look by everyone on here...=) Rose

Old 08-10-2004, 12:49 PM   #17
White Sneakers1

Cool Re: My Panic Experience

Just bumping up a post that some users may find helpful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2004, 12:28 PM   #18

Mrs squeeky HB User

wow....thankyou for such a wonderful post.

Reading it was like reading my own symptoms and experiences.
During times of stress i suffer from palpatations, anxiety attacks, racing heartbeat, sweating, and sickness and diarreah.

On one occasion after coming back from abroad i was so sick that my husband took me to the doctor. When i told him my symptoms he said i had a stomach bug and gave me antibiotics.
Stress gets me all the time, at work with bosses and stuff. Or just stuff like life getting to me. My mother has just been diagnosed with lung cancer and i am doing well to relax and keep my cool. The only trouble i have at the moment is that i am very tired, but that is a small trouble!!

all i can say is that it is SOOO important to relax, to realise that your not about to drop dead, and just be calm. Its also good to recognise what makes you anxious or stressed and learn to control those feelings.

take care

Old 08-14-2004, 01:12 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wowwwweeee HB User

Hi Squeeky,

I'm sorry about your mother's recent diagnosis of lung cancer. It's good to know that you are coping.

A few years ago my father was diagnosed with bladder cancer (he is fine) and my mother experienced a nervous breakdown because of that (she is getting better all the time). Knowing that I am a highly stressed person at times, I knew that I would need to be able to deal with my family stressors, so I put myself in counseling for a few months to make sure that I stayed grounded.

I felt so overwhelmed with what was going on with my family at the time that counseling for me was a very smart thing to do.

I felt that I empowered myself by doing something positive to ensure that I would have good coping tools to deal with things as they came my way.

I get better all the time with "practicing calm" and being objective about any physical symptoms or fearful thoughts that I have.

I also deal with a onging disequelibrium condition, so maintaining a positive outlook and doing better at being nonreactionary to the physical symptoms of being off balance has helped me cope better with that.

I'm really glad you enjoyed reading my post. My best to you and your family. xo

Old 08-16-2004, 03:59 AM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

crabbyroad HB User

Wowee,

I just had to reply for two reasons, it is an excellent post, your writing is very detailed and that of a writer. It gives hope to others, no matter what stage of panic they are in, and second reason, I dont want this thread to get off the front page, Im am so glad that it got bumped up for its start a year ago. I never saw it till this week and had been on the board for 1/2 yr now. Thank you for your story.

Old 08-16-2004, 08:36 AM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wowwwweeee HB User

Hi CrabbyRoad,

I'm really glad you enjoyed reading my post. I was not able to write this until I was able to get a handle on myself and deal with what I needed to. It was difficult and ONE of the most challenging personal accomplishments of my life.

Some anxiety is good; anxiety allows a person to be cautious and detailed, it's what motivates us to seek out self improvement and allows us to refrain from doing something that may not be in our best interest. However, I feel that once a person has anxiety issues that interfere with their life, it's to that person's advantage to try to do something that will help them make positive changes in their behaviors (in the way they think and react) so that anxiety will not always be on the forefront.

I also feel that once a person experiences that kind of high anxiety (like me), they will always have them on some level in their life. It's just finding the right balance so that anxiety isn't the main factor when deciding to do or not do something.

It's daily work to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Even people who exercise too much or diet too much can make themselves mentally dependent on that kind of need and/or sick. Anxiety can become a bad habit too. I work every day to break this bad habit. I am so much better now, but it took a real commitment on my part to meet that fear head on, and allow myself to have set backs. I do not consider myself cured or that anxiety is gone. But I am able to do things that I want to again, and feel more myself. I still love life.

Hugs.

Old 08-16-2004, 11:45 AM   #22

Jchandra88 HB User

Wowweee,
I'm glad that you were able to put down your experiences in such a personal and insightful way. It looks like it's helped many anxiety sufferers. Have you ever considered writing a book? It sounds like you have what it takes.. Good going...

Old 08-16-2004, 11:48 AM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wowwwweeee HB User

Hi Jchandra,

What a nice compliment you've paid me. Thank you. I have thought about either writing about my experience with panic and disequlibrium, or looking into college courses for counseling so I could really help other people int he same situation. I have always been told that I have a detailed and reassuring manner when it comes to dealing with issues like this. Again, your encouragement has made me kickup my thoughts on this another notch.

Wishing you a peaceful day. xo

Old 08-24-2004, 02:34 PM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

crabbyroad HB User

Moving the post back up for newcomers, its too good not to miss

Old 10-23-2004, 12:55 PM   #25
Senior Veteran
(female)

crabbyroad HB User

Thought I would bump this up for newcomers, been more anxiety ridden today, I needed some insight again.

Old 10-23-2004, 01:44 PM   #26
(female)

JustGinger HB User

Thanks for bumping up the post. I've been struggling with my anxiety for six years, more so than not in the past two weeks, and it helps to hear there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I start therapy for the first time on Tuesday and I'm really nervous about it, but excited at the same time. I'm hoping to find a way to work through the attacks this time, instead of just medicating them.

Old 10-23-2004, 06:35 PM   #27

rosyposy HB User

Thankyou so much wowwweee for sharing your story. Your experiences and insight are so valuable. Hugs to you.
Rosy

Old 09-06-2005, 05:45 PM   #28
Senior Veteran
(female)

crabbyroad HB User

Bumping the post up for newcomers, a good read

Old 09-06-2005, 09:44 PM   #29
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User

Hi crabbyroad,

Thanks for the bump. I had never read this before. I will print the top (or original part) for me and some other people I know. We all have some degree of anxiety/stress. Mine is not health related, but some of the others are/is.

Thanks again. Hope that you are doing well. Wannabe

Old 09-07-2005, 06:30 AM   #30
(female)

italianfire HB User

Wowwwweee,
What a story you have.I am so happy for you to hear that you have came face to face with the panic and living a better life now.Your advice and how you deal with it is something i am going to try.I am a 39 female also.I have had panic since I was 19.I do the same thing you did with the health issues.I feel like I am dying of something but I just have acid reflex etc.Nothing dangerous.
I tryed to take medicines but the prozac and paxil etc.Made me worse and the xanax I was taking i got addicted to it and I weaned myself off.(with a docters care).
I just moved in with my fiance and my anxiety is taken a toll for the worse.I get hot flashes and dizzy and chest tightness and so on.But reading you story made me relize its time to seek help with therapy.THANK YOU SO MUCH..I will follow your steps and I pray you reach more people and your story helps them as it did me.God bless you..Dawn

Closed Thread