It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
(female)

paininzeeback HB User
Does anyone have any experience with Prialt?

Hi. I am new to this site. I am so happy to find it. I am 3 and a half years post op. L4, L5, S1 fusion with Titanium rods and pedicle screws. I have gone down hill since the surgery. I have been Dx'd with Failed Back Syndrome and Adhesive Arachnoiditis. I am going to have a trial done on April 21st that will last 12 days with the Medtronic Pump and a new drug. It is a channel blocker that is supposed to stop the pain sensing nerves from sending pain signals to the brain. It is non-narcotic. According to their website, only about 2000 people in this country are currenty using Prialt. My doctor is one of the leading Doctors in this country to do the procedure. I am very lucky to be a patient at Sheppherd Spinal Center. My Dr. is great with pain mgmt and I am not denied the right to have meds that help me. My pain level has gotten to a point where it fluctuates anywhere from 5 to 8 on the pain scale.

I would love to hear from anyone that has gone through this procedure or has any knowledge of Prialt.

Thanks alot and again I am very happy to have found this site.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Re: Does anyone have any experience with Prialt?

paininzeeback:
I have never used Prialt before but I do with you good luck with that pain pump. I did want to welcome you to the pain management board and tell you that you will get a lot of information, advice, and support here. Please don't be afraid to ask any questions. Also, please know that your question may not get answered immediately but I am sure other's here will have more information about Prialt.

brian

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
(female)

donnaa1015 HB User
Unhappy Re: Does anyone have any experience with Prialt?

I can totally understand where you are coming from. I've had a spinal fusion (L5-S1) and discectomies from L2-L4) and in terrible pain still. I had the stimulator, which helped only for a short period of time and had it removed. I now how the intrathecal pain pump. I had some improvement with the trial that is why i went ahead and had it put in, but we are having a hard time getting my pain level under control. I am still on more oral meds, which I'm not happy about, but the pain in almost a 10 again. We are going to be putting prialt into my pump on Monday, so hopefully this will help out. They say it takes 2-4 weeks to notice any improvment. They also say it either works or it doesn't, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed! Good luck to you!!!

Old 11-08-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hi PaininZ, I had my pump implanted about the time prialt was being tested and then aproved. There is one doc in my area using it and it is an option down the road. From what I understand it is expensive and although it makes sense to try a non opiate first, I'm surprised insurance goes for it.

I have had good luck with my pump. It did take 6 months and 16 adjustments to find the right dose of morphine, and I'm realistic about how much relief I'm going to get given the instability of a failed 6 level fusion. I talk to my docs all the time to se if they have any prialt patients yet and they don't so far due to cost of the med,and the unpredictable side effects. Unfortuantely prialts' side effdt profile is kiinda scarry for those that do have problems. Their more of the psych nature, psychotic breaks, etc na a portion of patients. However if you fall into the group that can handle this med, would exect good results. Sounds to me like it's one of those drugs that works well for those who can tolertate and there just isn't a middle ground, If yyou can't tolerate it, you don'ty stay un it because of the sevrity of side effects. Not to scare you, nothing is permanant, But it would certainly help to have a doc in the group with psych exp should something go wrong. It just so happens one of the docs in my groups is a psychiatrist/neurologist, so I would feel vcomfy giving it shot where I'm at shpould the med I'm prsently on become intolerable.

The good thing is you get to do a trial or even two. My first pump trial failed miserably due to a spinal fluid leak, It took anothr 7 months to get the nevre to do it again. A succesfull trial should be a fair indicator of the outcome.

Please keep us posted, I woud love to hear your experience, If you don't handle prialt, delivery of opiates through the pump Vs orals is like night and day as far as cognative side effects. I had the pump put in, starterd excercising and returned to work part time. I could be the poster boy for pumps, but not everyone is so lucky.
take care, DaveC

Old 03-31-2012, 04:51 AM   #5
(male)

Boognishmang HB User

If this thread isn't dead I am 35 and have Multiple Sclerosis (primary progressive) and suffer from severe chronic neuropathic pain. I am about to try Prialt as my last result. Wish me luck!

Closed Thread