It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User
Long-term muscle relaxer use

I'm wondering what people's experiences have been with long-term use of muscle relaxers for pain. I am also wondering if doctors are as strict about these as they are about the narcotics. Can you share any stories?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2008, 09:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User
Re: Long-term muscle relaxer use

Hey Toon:

I'll tell ya what I know. I have constant muscle spasms, that I'm told are due to scar tissue enveloping the sciatic nerve since my surgeries. I've had two now. First a Hemi-Lami/Micro-D in 2004 and then a PLIF 2 Level Fusion March 9th 2007. Since the PLIF the muscle spasms have not stopped EVER, and I've been on muscle relaxers since my surgery, so over a year now.

At first I was taking Zanaflex 4mg, but about 3 months ago, PM doc changed to Robaxin 750mg. It has really given better relief. The spasams are much worse at night and wake me out of a dead sleep. The Robaxin seems to be a bit stronger, and allows me to sleep through the night.

I no longer take Ambien or Lunesta (both are sleep aids) which I had taken early on after my surgery due to not being able to sleep b/c of the spasams.

I've not had any problems with the Robaxin, and though it's Rx to be taken twice a day, I generally only take it at night because it does tend to cause some drowsiness, so I don't want to take it when I have a long day of teaching. If it's a short day, and the spasams are bad, I might take it mid-day when I get home. It just depends.

So there's my story, and I'm sticking to it! Don't know if I helped you at all or not!! Not really sure about any real long term effects of using it, and never really asked the PM. Just figured he wouldn't prescribe it long term if I wasn't supposed to take it long term! I dunno though!

Good luck.

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2008, 09:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hey Toonces: I take MR's and have, every day, for the past eight years. I have been on several over the years, but Soma is the one that works best for me. I know people have had luck with others as well. Everyone is different. I haven't had any long term bad side effects. (that I know of, anyway)

Because Soma can cause physical dependence, it is sometimes Rx'd differently than some of the others. My doc doesn't give me refills on Soma, but if I take some of the others, occassionally, I usually get refills. I guess the Soma acts differently than some of the others. I've really never looked it up. I guess I should.

Anyway, that's about all I have for now. If you have other questions, I'll certainly try to answer what I can. Take care, cmpgirl

Old 04-30-2008, 10:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Toon,

I have been on Baclofen,zanaflex and valium.A combo that works for my spasms from 2 failed back surgeries.I have multiple sclerosis and adhesivive arachnoiditis.

My neurologist fills my scripts for 6 months at a time.

my narcotics script I have to pick up in his office each month.

Don't know if this helps.

oh,the question of muscle relaxers vs narcotice being prescibed,it depends if its muscle involved or not I guess

Old 05-01-2008, 07:43 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User

Hi Toon, I suffer from a condition called Cervical Dystonia which is severe and uncontrollable muscle spasms in my neck. I also get muscle spasms in my back, shoulder and even in my chest at times. I've been on Soma 350 mg for 4 yrs now which help keep them under control until the weather changes. When we have weather changes especially severe weather or if I over use my right arm these actions will bring on even worse spasms. Even then the medication don't work, I either have to sit down and do absolutely nothing or go to the ER and get a shot of prednisone to relief them. So far, I haven't had any serious side effects from taking them everyday and my doctor Rx's them for 6 refills every 6-7 months. I don't take no heavy naracotic's with them except Norco 10/325 mg 4 x a day which isn't that strong. I hope you don't have to suffer to long with these muscle spasms because I know how bad they hurt.

Closed Thread