It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2008, 04:47 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Missing you

Hi all my friends!

I miss you all like crazy and wish I had more time to spend on the boards but I am back to homeschooling the children and am finding it a real struggle to be honest. I am not sure if it is fatigue from my thyroid or just that I lost so much strength this summer being sick or a combo of both.

I am having to listen to my body more than ever these days. If my pain starts climbing, I immediately lay down and frequently I am out like a light for at least 1 to 2 hours. Then I wake up refreshed and ready to go again.

Since my doctor increased my oxycontin, my pain levels remain 3, 4 and 5's on the pain scale. Rarely do I see above a 5. My GP could not believe that he saw me sitting down for the first time in a year. I also have taken 1 Breakthru in the last two weeks. removed

As far as regaining my life, I have not noticed a big difference in my physical activity. If I do gardening, sit down for church service or do anything physical or involving bending, I am down. My back just won't allow me to bend, twist, walk great distances, or do any lifting period. However, I can it is nice to go grocery shopping without bawling, I can go out to eat without having to stand thru dinner, I am not in pain every waking minute, I can play games with my children, etc.

So overall life is good, I am hanging in there, and searching for a bottle of liquid energy!

I am praying for each one of my friends:

*Chrissy - I pray that you get your med situation straightened out so you can concentrate on you.
*CMP - glad you had a great vacation and I am so sorry you are going thru everything with your brother. I pray that things calm down for you.
*Confused - it sounds like things are going a little better for you and you pain is not as bad as it was. I pray that things continue to only get better for you.
*Izzy - hope you feel better soon. I know this has been a difficult summer for you. You are in my thoughts and prayers for better pain control and comfort in knowing that others do care as you continue to grieve for you loss.
*Sammy - where are you dear? How are you?
*Steve - praying for you and your tumor - I don't like the sounds of it. Can we name this tumor? I think it needs to be named so we can tell it to go away and be miraculously healed.
*Shay and Aver - hope you are doing okay...I don't see an update.
*Becky - no more dreams okay? I have pain related ones alot and wake up crying and shaking sometimes. Dreams are frightening. I miss you posting and hope to see a little more of you on the board.
*Allanbruce - hope things get better for you with the move - remember we care and are here for you.
*Tigger, I pray they can find some answers soon for your rib pain and find you some relief.
*Chatterbox - I am so happy you are doing better since the revision surgery. It gives me hope and I pray that you continue to heal.
*Round1 - I hope your meds are continuing to work for you and are allowing you to be there for your son. I know how important that is.
*IBake&Pray - come out from hiding, I love reading your posts and I miss you and Ella fiestiness.
*Moldova - I pray you have a safe trip and that you find some much needed pain relief.
*Deb - hope accupuncture is continuing to go well for you. I finally quit going. I don't have the energy for it and it really was not doing alot for me. I went 20 times so I believe I gave it a fair shake.
*Sage - I hope things are continuing to go well as you recuperate from your surgery. I forgot to tell you that they don't think my problems are the SI joint but they showed me how mine is not fused like most people to their hip bone. I have a birth defect that supposedly should not be causing pain.
Carol- I know you were undergoing surgery and I pray that things are going well for you and that your pain is being well controlled.

Okay, forgive me if I have missed someone. I love you all and can't thank you enough for all your love and support. I will try to check in more often.

BLESSINGS AND PRAYERS FOR A LOW PAIN DAY FOR ALL!!

Pepper

Last edited by HBMod07; 09-19-2008 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Please consult with your doctor regarding medication changes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2008, 08:39 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
Re: Missing you

pepper,
Missing you to sweetie...without your encourangement sometimes i dont know what I would do...I am blessed to have you as a friend.

I jsut had to log back on and tell you I miss you to!

((((((((((((((~~~~HUGS~~~~)))))))))))))) )

I will return to the med situation tomorrow!
By the way your amazing on how you remember all the differnet things going on with everyone.
Steve I agree with pepper....we need a name...
chrissy
Nite

Old 09-17-2008, 08:46 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Confused089 HB User

Pepper, so sweet of you to post individual messages for all of us. I'll post soon on how I'm doing but yes, things have gotten better despite some scary moments.

I am just speculating here, but I wouldn't expect the thryroid meds to kick in immediately (I know nothing about this however so I could be completely off base). The thryoid problem, as well as needing to rebuild your muscles, strength, stamina after a long time of inactivity, could be crushing your energy. I don't know when you get the levels checked again, or if they adjust the thyroid meds dose depending on your response, but I would think that you would begin to regain some strength as this problem is sorted out. Try to remember what a toll pain takes on the body - you've been through an enormously difficult time and your body has probably been in "fight" or "flight" mode...You may need to recuperate after going through a "war" - physically, emotionally, mentally...It's possible (I don't know) that you had *more* energy before b/c your adrenaline and the fight/flight response was activated. Now you are "healing," which takes a lot of rest. I am really glad your pain levels are consistently 5 and below - I really think you will eventually (and maybe not so long from now) be able to do more of the things you enjoy, including gardening. It's also possible that you notice the lack of energy more now b/c you *can* do things other than lie in bed all day.

I am sorry that the acupuncture did not give you the kind of relief it gave me (or really any relief at all!). I have been told that I am exceptionally responsive to acupuncture, but I don't really know how to interpret this. if/when you have time and energy, I really would suggest trying a couple different practitioners. I have been to acupuncturists who haven't given me any relief. Or, I've experienced relief once or twice and that's the end of it.

At the clinic where I go now, I get better results from one of the acupuncturists - I benefit from both, but one of them is just *better,* or better for me. She knows exactly where the tender spots are on my body (for ex, she uses needles in my legs to treat my neck and she can find a tender spot that corresponds to a pt. in my neck w/o any 'hunting around.' The other acupuncturist often spends a while trying to find the right spots....I guess I just hate to hear that you're giving up on it when you haven't tried different practitioners - I have been to many acupuncturists and no one ever put as many needles in me as yours put in you [I know your chiro/acupuncturists is highly regarded and that there are different styles of acupuncture]. If, when you have more time, you decide to give it another shot, I would try to find someone who checks your tongue, pulses on both hands (I don't know if yours did), and who can quickly locate a tender spot corresponding to a pt. that is generating pain for you. For now, it sounds like you have more than you can handle on your plate. I just don't think that using one acupuncturist is a good test - if it isn't working, I try someone new after a couple times. It's just been such an amazing resource for me for many health issues and, most recently for pain. Ok, no more pushing...;-) I'm going to give biofeedack and possibly hypnotherapy a shot next - I suspect that hypnotherapy is not going to work great for me b/c I haven't had success in the past with it (once everyone in the room was in some stage of hypnosis except for me - I was the only alert and completely awake person of the 40 present! But, surgery has actually been performed w/o anesthesia or w/ a fraction of the anesthesia usually required on people who have been hypnotized and they have not felt pain (although scans of their bodies/heads? can't recall have shown that pain is being generated in their bodies. W/ biofeedback, you generally know right then and there if you are successfully controlling the pain w/ your mind - it's the immediate feedback that teaches you how to lower your pain levels...Ok, hope the home schooling is going well and life is getting better...

Old 09-18-2008, 05:30 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

Hi Diet, what a lovely post, thanks.. Yes I am doing good (thank God)
Life has really changed now. Cant believe I am able to do so much more. Nothing major but normal day to day stuff, that sure that is all I wanted.
At the moment now I just need to get about 90minutes around the 1'clock time and I can managed then till about 8-9pm. You do remember my posts whining about needing to lye down after a few hours several times aday. !!Walking any distance is still a problem but then I just dont do it ! But now once I get some stuff sorted as in wash the summer stuff we didnt need (rained most of the summer) and get the cupboards sorted I am going back to the threadmill and build myself up again on the walking. Physio too is going well and got onto the next set of exercises !

Take it easy on the homeschooling, I often think of you when I am overseeing my sons homework, and when I loose the rag when he keeps saying "they" for "the" in the reading I just say to myself how does diet do it !
Best of wishes
Round1

Old 09-18-2008, 10:47 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

chatterboxsd HB User

Hey, Diet. It good you're hanging in there and you're still looking at many options to improve your quality of life. You continue to be a fighter and a reliable inspiration!

I'm in a "valley" of the hills and valleys we know are part of the deal. But, I'm slogging through. I'm not up to give you the list.

Anyway, I'm really hoping you get some clarity and more importantly, IMPROVEMENT!

My very best and gentle hugs,
Margaret

Old 09-20-2008, 05:57 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Hi Guys,

As always I love logging on and receiving that support from my friends. You are the best of all bests.

I am in more pain today than I have been and I am not sure if it is the weather or change in meds or not. I called my doctor and we jointly decided to cut my afternoon dose a little. I have done this since Wednesday. He also gave me the approval to go back up on the meds if I need to. He basically said, that he does not have a problem with me going down. He just doesn't want me exceeding my meds which makes perfect sense. He feels that my tiredness is probably due to my thyroid. When one first go on meds for the thyroid, it is typical to have an increase in the symptoms about week 2 on meds. Greeeeeeeeeat.

Steve, I don't like that tumor growing. Please follow up with you doc. If you can't do it for yourself, do it for your friends and family. Do you need me to come over and give you heck? I will pick up CMP along the way and IBAKE and Ella too. Between the 4 of us, you should find yourself in the dr's office real quick. We love ya and could not stand for you to ignore an important symptom.

Margaret, please update me when you have the strength. I do care. As you know we share an important connection and I think we just selected the wrong dates for our fusion surgery in 2007. We both have not had the best of luck.

Round1, I am so happy for you dear. You have come a long way on this spinal and pm journey. Have they labeled you as failed back syndrome or are they saying this is normal healing?

Confused - yes the thyroid meds will take a few weeks to kick in and in fact take approximately six weeks to balance out which is why they draw blood in the beginning every 6 weeks and adjust the dose. Above I stated that my doc says he normally sees a relaspse/worsening in symptoms around the 2nd to 3rd week.

Chrissy, I am glad your meds worked out. Thank you Jesus!

Well I am off to boil in the hot tub. We have cranked the pool heater to 90 degrees so we can enjoy one of the last weekends in the pool. I do not like WINTER!!

Last edited by ms_west; 09-20-2008 at 10:47 AM.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:21 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Pepper,

Thanks for the shout out. I am doing OK most of them time anyway. I have my ups and downs with all of the exterior stuff going on, but I am seeing my psych regularly and am working on it. I have become a bit proccupied with all of it, and it has tweaked my pain levels a bit, so I haven't been logging on as often as I'd like to either. I really miss everyone too!

I hope you can start comfortably sliding back into a routine soon. I know the thyroid issue has to be a real pain to adjust to. It may take some tweaking of meds, etc. but it sounds like the doc is keeping a close eye on things, so I'm sure it will get better.

Enjoy that hot tub! I am still trying to convince hubby that we should get one. Or at the very least a new whirlpool or jetted bathtub, so that I can have a good soak when I need it. Hopefully, it will be one or the other.

Steve, if you're reading this, I will gladly join Pepper, I Bake and Ella!! So you'd better be a good boy and listen to what everyone is telling you. Let me just say that when reading this thread and other ones you have posted to, I could feel Triple M emerging!!!!!

Take care Pepp, and as always you are in my daily thoughts and prayers. Many, many hugs, CMP/MM

Old 09-23-2008, 05:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Pepper,

Thank you so much for including me in your wishes for well being.
I've missed you and everyone else too. I will fill you guys in later with a thread on what's going on with me. I have an appointment with a Neurosurgeon for my Migraines. My PM doc has decided (two months ago) to take over the care of my migraines. For the last four years he's left it in the hands of my PCP, and we had it as best under control as it could be. Since Fay, Gustave and Ike blew past us, I've been extremely sick, and my pain has skyrocketed to 7, 8, and 9's. ICK!!! More later on this and everything else.

Love and miss you guys....off to work with a head that if I could just drill a hole in each side would go *hiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssss*!! LOL!!! Gotta smile or I'll always be crying!!

~!~ Becky ~!~

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Last edited by SpinalMalady; 09-23-2008 at 05:23 AM.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:01 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Aver00 HB User

Hey Pep I think fatigue is my biggest problem and no matter what I do I just cannot seem to get myself going - I do not know when it became such a big problem, I am just tired and have no motivation - it does help to know others are experiencing the same thing but you are unbelievable: home schooling, church activities, gardening - you probably are legitmately tired - pat yourself on the back - I wish I had the energy to homeschool my adopted grandchild, it would be wonderful for her -- I admire you, all you go through and you still come accross upbeat Huggs Aver

Old 09-24-2008, 01:57 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Remember me?

It's ok...I'm often overlooked and forgotten....I just blend into the woodwork.lol

Hope all is well and you are keeping up with your busy schedule. I am back in school my self and am busy, busy, busy!!!~M

Old 09-24-2008, 05:20 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

allanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB User

Thanks for thinking of me, I am so far away and I have not been here long. I don't know how you manage to do home schooling. My neighbour does it for her 3 children and I often hear her voice raised and then they are out on the colder sac playing games. But she seems to manage.
I am not looking forward to the move, but I will be happy to see my sister full fill her dreams with this lovely big home. Mum and Dad will be moving in as well since they seem to have sold their home, so I will have to be nice to dad, and try not to let him get to me.
I hope all is improving for you. Allanbruce

Old 09-26-2008, 12:40 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Darn it, Mush. Will you forgive me? I was so afraid of missing someone and how could I forget you? You have been a great source of comfort for me as we all worked to get me thru some rather bleak days earlier and I want you to know that your support mean't the world to me. Glad to hear that you are busy with school and have not MIA because of illness.

I talked with my doctor and they are going to re-run all of my blood work next week. I am sleeping alot and have lost 15 lbs. without trying. I am feeling very weak these days. He believes it is my thyroid at work with all the other cp stuff. However if we ran the blood work today the results would not be indicative of what is going on because I have not been on meds long enough. Next week will be 4 weeks since starting new medication and hopefully we will get a clearer picture of what is going on.

Homeschooling is really rough right now so if you all could please pray for us that would be great. I just pray that I am not taking on to much this year with my health problems and the possibility of facing a major surgery.

May you each have a blessed weekend.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:08 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Pepper, Please don't feel bad. I was feeling sorry for myself so....I had to beg for some recognition.

I've homeschooled in the past and know that it is not easy. But, you have flexibility so don't put too much pressure on yourself. Take some time off and come back to it. Do you unschool....or strict curriculum? I've been fighting our state testing for ten years and trying to get our superintendent of education out of office. I love homeschooling...science experiments and field trips!!!

I'm into week three of my last semester of college and I'm scared. I usually have no problem with school but I'm not 'getting' this. Maybe I'm just not remembering....I don't know. I'm scared about going back to work with my friend cp.

I had the flu this weekend and now my youngest has it...time to share. I'm not quite strong enough to nurse him and my house is a complete disaster. Did I mention that our fridge went belly up too. We lost a whole bunch of food and I had to drag my butt to the store today so we could have something for dinner. No way to go but up, right?

Sorry for all of the whining. Hope things are better for you this week.
Your kids are benefiting just by being home with you. My friends think I'm weird because I cry when school starts...I want them home with me all the time. How old are your kids...and how many do you have? Anyway, hang in there and don't be too hard on yourself.~Mush

Old 10-09-2008, 06:57 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

Hey Pepper,
I haven't been on either in so long. The first thing I did was to try to find a post from you to see how you are doing. I'm so glad your pain is under control. What a blessing!! What kind of surgery are they talking about for you? I'm going to start a new thread on my situation. Take care my DDP friend!

Deb

Old 10-10-2008, 09:18 AM   #15
(female)

darbymai59 HB User

Hi Pepper, I answered your reply to my post. Hope you read it. It does sound like we have some of the same problems. I think yours are quite a bit worse.

You are an amazing person for handling all you can and I hope your pain stays under control.

Darby

Closed Thread