It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
(male)

chevmal283 HB User
Fear of losing Gall. Pain/Symptoms of Calci Stones?

If you have had your gallbladder removed, please post here why it had to be removed and the pain/symptoms that you had that lead to removal.

I have posted here about several different topics. I also received/read mail from an Archnoid site, and other site for flushing. I'm overloaded with info but confused.

I'm too see a general surgeon soon about having gallbladder removed, though I have been sick with digestive/stomach pain for two years now.

Feb '07, after a night of violent detox from Actiq awake complaining of stomach pain/distention. I don't want to eat, but am very hungry at times during stay--still the same way to this very day.

Didn't void for five or six days while in hospital. This has continuely been the case since then. As of now take 3tbls prescribe fiber and pancreatic enzymes.

Worse was 12 days without voiding. In ER told I had pancreatitis. Later told it was acute pancreatitis.

When I eat, the pain increases in my stomach, right in center, though can hurt more to the left or right --feel sternum pain too.

Have the bubbles and the gas and the slow moving digestion.

In Oct '07 back in ER again for same pain. Calcified gallstones found. Later colon/endo, malig polyp removed from colon.

Here I am, the gastro did received the info/MRI about gallstones for some reason, so he didn't know. I brought it to his attention a few months back when I discovered it. Yet, at bottom of MRI says stomach pain cannot be explainned.

I'm to lose my gallbladder, but docs don't think it explains my pain.

Tell, me your story, so I will better understand this gallbladder deal. The pain. The digestion problems. Did you have calcified gallstones? Anyone regret having it removed? I read post here and there by others about issue, but indeed need to learn more before I agree to have surgery especially when dealing with a possible Arachnoiditis condition (only yesterday became aware that I indeed might have it when doc thought I didn't) that makes one not a great canidate for any surgery.

Discuss, please.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Fear of losing Gall. Pain/Symptoms of Calci Stones?

I had mine removed because of stones. I had had intermittant pain - not bad but maybe medium pain - over several years. Then one time after eating a cheeseburger two days in a row I had excrutiating pain on my right side, just below the rib cage. I pretty much knew it was stones. Went to the doc, ran blood work, elevated bilirubin - one sign of gb problems. So, off for an ultrasound and sure enough I had stones. Well, due to already planned events and trips, it was about 2-1/2 months before I could get surgery scheduled. I tried to keep to a fat free diet during that time but the Christmas holidays were there and I sort of wasn't all that good. By the time I got to the surgery, I was nauseous all the time. My recovery was unremarkable. I jogged two miles a week after having mine out. Stayed on a fat free diet for about a month (with one big deviation that made me understand I should not have done that!) and have felt great ever since. That was 4 years ago and I was 59 at the time. BTW, it runs in my family as my mother and a couple of other female relatives have had theirs out.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:31 AM   #3
(female)

rozbel HB User

i had attacks of severe upper right sided pain that lasted up to 2 hours at a time. my gp sent me for an ultrasound that showed i had numerous stones in my gall bladder. i had it removed 2 months later. i have no regrets because the pathology report said that my gb was full of stones and was chronicaly inflamed.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:44 AM   #4
(female)

Forensicmom HB User

I had mine out almost 2 years ago and I'm not sure I really needed it out. I'm a healthy 38 year old mom of 4 who is in great shape. I've never eaten a lot of fatty or spicy foods.

I had nausea, stomach & chest pain, headaches, dizziness, shortness of breath, heart palpitations and extremely shaky hands. My PCP first said it was panic attacks and stress. Then they said it was IBS from stress and to eat more fiber. That didn't work and a month later they said maybe it was acid reflux. I took 3 different acid meds with NO relief. They sent me for an ultrasound, which was normal. Next was the HIDA scan which showed a 16% ejection fraction ratio. So I went to a surgeon who said that it clearly wasn't working and I needed to have it removed. At the time, I was desperate for relief since I had lost almost 20lbs and now looked anorexic from not being able to eat. I felt so sick. My stomach (right below the sternum and to the right side) hurt and my chest felt like it was being squeezed.

The surgery went fine and I didn't have too many "bathroom" issues afterwards. I avoided just about every food I could that might hurt my stomach. Things felt better for a few months and then they started back up again. A lot of the same issues (nausea & stomachaches) have returned as well as a lot more due to food, which I think is a results of not having the gallbladder. If I eat too much food (I'm talking a regular adult size portion) I feel really sick. If I eat ANYTHING high in fat (even a few bites of cheesecake) I feel sick.

I had an upper endoscopy this past monday to check for ulcers, H Pylori, Celiacs Disease and a few other things. Everything was normal except there was evidence of GERD. So my dr has now prescribed Nexium for me to try.

My case was different since I didn't have any stones but I do regret having my gallbladder out. I'm MUCH MUCH MUCH more sensitive to foods now and I'm still having the same problems I was before.

At least one good thing. They finally tested my blood for a large number of things and found that I'm anemic, which explains the headaches, dizziness, shakiness, shortness of breath, fatigue and a few other things.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #5
(male)

chevmal283 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozbel View Post
i had attacks of severe upper right sided pain that lasted up to 2 hours at a time. my gp sent me for an ultrasound that showed i had numerous stones in my gall bladder. i had it removed 2 months later. i have no regrets because the pathology report said that my gb was full of stones and was chronicaly inflamed.
I can imagine what "flare ups" are only by knowing what it is like to not be in pain one moment, then be in severe (off to ER type) the next, but what you speak of is not what I experience.

I indeed have terrible pain after eating, and it last for a long time; but, there is a constant pain in the center of my body, almost the exact point where the two lines of "x" meet if drawn from where torso ends and pelvic area begins to bottoms of sholders. My stomach I would think is that point.

I am not speaking of a pain on the "right side" that is spoken of by others who have or have had gallbladder, um, disease I guess one might term it.

The MRI report I have says "calicified gallstones" but also states that it doesn't explain stomach pain.

Yet, I am no stranger to be miss diagnosed, especially from the hospital whose ER became a second home at a point in my life until fentanly prescribed to fight cervigencial pain.

I can't help but think that I'm dealing with something that is connected to all the nervous system problems I have. I might be true that gallbladder needs to go and that the pain I experience is in same area that folk speak of, but mine is covers a wider range that includes that right side.

Thank you for responding. I write long posts that I fear are hampering my attempt to elicits response.

Given that science has really to determine for certain that gallballer not the, can't think of term, so just say one of the other organs not needed...nevermind...folks have surgery for this and that thinking that all will be well, and such is the case for some, but not others.

Blessings...

Old 02-14-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
(male)

chevmal283 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forensicmom View Post
I had mine out almost 2 years ago and I'm not sure I really needed it out. I'm a healthy 38 year old mom of 4 who is in great shape. I've never eaten a lot of fatty or spicy foods.

Thanks for responding. Very informative. I hope to use the info in both post here, and elsewhere, when I meet with the general surgeon, and as well an attempt next week to have second opinion meeting a another gastro.

You say you're not sure you "need it out" , well, as I said, scientitis are not sure one needs it either, yet that really brings me no comfort when I read posts from those who insist one needs it and most turn to flushing and juicing to save an organ that is vital to the overall health of the human being.

I had nausea, stomach & chest pain, headaches, dizziness, shortness of breath, heart palpitations and extremely shaky hands. My PCP first said it was panic attacks and stress. Then they said it was IBS from stress and to eat more fiber. That didn't work and a month later they said maybe it was acid reflux. I took 3 different acid meds with NO relief. They sent me for an ultrasound, which was normal.

I have no nausea associated with what I'm experiencing. I find in general this is a complaint of those who were found to need gallbladder removed. Indeed stomach and INTENSE chest pain. I was treated for IBS back in 99/2000 after second lumbar surgery. Since then been off and on prescribed fiber--presently on lots it, and still trouble. I was too treated for acid reflux for awhile, until insurance wouldn't cover the prescription because over-the-counter avalible. I found that it wasn't acid reflux anyway. Unlike you, ultrasound not normal, calicified stones found, but like I said, that doesn't explain pain I speak of to docs in ER. They might be wrong for that have been in the past even to the point of not catching a broken knee on an x-ray--so obviously there.

Next was the HIDA scan which showed a 16% ejection fraction ratio. So I went to a surgeon who said that it clearly wasn't working and I needed to have it removed.

Never heard of an HIDA scan. Who do I request order that? I guess that more a rhetorical question since I will search what HIDA is and contact some doctor to see if that needed done pronto.

At the time, I was desperate for relief since I had lost almost 20lbs and now looked anorexic from not being able to eat. I felt so sick. My stomach (right below the sternum and to the right side) hurt and my chest felt like it was being squeezed.

I haven't lost weight, then again, I'm not active at all due to spine/central nervous system pain, but I indeed feel sick most of the time. And yes, exactly, the "below the sternum" fits me, but not necessarily isolated on the "right side." When you say "my chest felt like it was being squeezed," I say EXACTLY again. Plus I feel like there that area is being sucked in my some inner force.

The surgery went fine and I didn't have too many "bathroom" issues afterwards.

Were you having "issues" before. I certainly have issues. I think I spoke of them in the original post here.

I avoided just about every food I could that might hurt my stomach. Things felt better for a few months and then they started back up again. A lot of the same issues (nausea & stomachaches) have returned as well as a lot more due to food, which I think is a results of not having the gallbladder.

And there is the rub--"I think is a result of not having the gallbladder." Oi. I know your pain, even though, I haven't been through the gallbladder removal...yet. The idea of having surgery to solve the pain qoution (I hope that is the right terminology), and then ended up with same pain, and even more, is a slammed to the psyche as much as it is a slam to the what was considered th answer to the problem

If I eat too much food (I'm talking a regular adult size portion) I feel really sick. If I eat ANYTHING high in fat (even a few bites of cheesecake) I feel sick.

I had an upper endoscopy this past monday to check for ulcers, H Pylori, Celiacs Disease and a few other things. Everything was normal except there was evidence of GERD. So my dr has now prescribed Nexium for me to try.

I have no idea what "GERD" is.

My case was different since I didn't have any stones but I do regret having my gallbladder out. I'm MUCH MUCH MUCH more sensitive to foods now and I'm still having the same problems I was before.

Yikes. I must make sure these doctors treating me are as close as correct as is possible.

At least one good thing. They finally tested my blood for a large number of things and found that I'm anemic, which explains the headaches, dizziness, shakiness, shortness of breath, fatigue and a few other things.

Indeed, blood test are needed. It is a stroke of kindness I suspose that something was found that explains other things.

thank you...blessings to you in your struggle.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:21 PM   #7
(male)

chevmal283 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I had mine removed because of stones. I had had intermittant pain - not bad but maybe medium pain - over several years. Then one time after eating a cheeseburger two days in a row I had excrutiating pain on my right side, just below the rib cage. I pretty much knew it was stones.

There again, the "right side" description of pain that I cannont for certain say is that is the case with me. I explained this further in another post here. But indeed, fatty foods, heck PEANUTS, cause problems. But the other day drank a glass of spinach juice, and ended up with same, um, attack, of pain in stomach. Confused indeed.

Went to the doc, ran blood work, elevated bilirubin - one sign of gb problems. So, off for an ultrasound and sure enough I had stones.

I just responding to a poster regarding blood work. I need to have blood work done, and will include this "elevated bilirubin" that you speak of in my request.

Well, due to already planned events and trips, it was about 2-1/2 months before I could get surgery scheduled. I tried to keep to a fat free diet during that time but the Christmas holidays were there and I sort of wasn't all that good. By the time I got to the surgery, I was nauseous all the time.

Once again, I have no "nausea" associated with my pain and digestive problems.

My recovery was unremarkable. I jogged two miles a week after having mine out. Stayed on a fat free diet for about a month (with one big deviation that made me understand I should not have done that!) and have felt great ever since. That was 4 years ago and I was 59 at the time. BTW, it runs in my family as my mother and a couple of other female relatives have had theirs out.
Ah, another who the wheel of destiny chose to bless. And now, I stand as confused as before. But am thankful for the info provided. Hope more will come. Or, I hope the doctors to treat me will know what to order in terms of tests before the gallbladder is removed.

Blessings to you.

Closed Thread