It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
(female)

teejai HB User
any alternatives to a colonoscopy?

i was wondering if anyone knew if an mri can look at the bowel as i am unable to have a colonoscopy. perhaps there is some other proceedure which can investigate the bowel? any advice would be much appreciated.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:10 AM   #2
Inactive

scotsrishs HB User
Re: any alternatives to a colonoscopy?

Why are you unable to have a colonoscopy?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2009, 03:00 AM   #3
(female)

teejai HB User
Re: any alternatives to a colonoscopy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsrishs View Post
Why are you unable to have a colonoscopy?
i had a colonoscopy and endoscopy 5 years ago.
i had not been told i would loose my time release painkiller med by taking the bowel prep and was too naive to realise it. they gave me a general anesthetic because i was screaming too much from pain for them to complete the colonoscopy. i was unaware of this and would have told them to stop if i had been able to. i already have a severe disease called arachnoiditis (damaged arachnoid membrane surrounding the spinal cord). most of my pain from this disease is in the coxyx and sacrum area and the colonoscopy obviously irritated this, probably because its the same area.
my pain levels were elevated from the colonoscopy to the point i spent 3 years in bed unable to move much because the pain was so severe. i was eventually put on stronger meds (oxycontin slow release) which enabled me to get around again but the additional pain remains. as it is; the oxy only takes the edge off the pain so i still live with constant severe pain and am regularly bedridden with it. so there is no way in hell i want to have another colonoscopy, especially as no drs will tell me why this has happened so it will probably happen again.
i am currently having problems with my time release med not being digested and ending up in the bowl. because i am on morphine based meds i am often constipated and need to use a laxative. but this also prevents my meds from being absorbed and having a history of irritable bowel syndrome does not help.
i have also just been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia so will have to take anti acid meds to get rid of it. however these also prevent absorbtion of my meds.
because drs dont like anyone being on morphine meds none have been interested enough to discuss anything with me and just keep saying i need a colonoscopy to investigate why my meds are not working.
This is why i am desperate for an alternative procedure!

Closed Thread