It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2009, 12:58 AM   #1
(male)

flyboy57 HB User
Back Pain and pain managenent

I had surgery in 2001 and had a disk removed from my lower back, this was done in hopes of relieving the excruciating pain I was having in my back. This surgery did not work so I then began a host of different therapies such as physical therapy, water therapy, spinal blocks, spinal shots to relieve pain and a host of medications all with bad side effects. This went on for three years all the time I was hoping for relief so I could get back to my job as a pilot. Because of my profession I was looking for medication I could use and still work,. The doctors tried all the non narcotic medications such as Vioxx, Neurontin, Topamax, Embrel, Ibuprofen in mega doses along with other medications I canít remember. In the third year of trying to get better I had gone back to see my Neurosurgeon to see if there was a surgical procedure that might help. He suggested a fusion operation to help relieve the pain and I was ready to try anything to get back to work and most importantly to relieve the PAIN. I did some research and thought it might be a good idea to get a second opinion. Now this doctor suggested that I not go through with the surgery because most people who elected to have this procedure done did not get much improvement if any at all and some even reported an increase in their pain. So now what do I do, this doctor said there was one option that would help with the pain but I would not be able to return to work. After some soul searching I decided to go ahead with pain management to relieve my pain until I either got better, or some new medication or surgery comes along that will enable me to return to work. I have been seeing the same doctor for pain for five years now and he has had me on Oxycontin. This medication was a gods send I could now have my life back, I was able to get around on my own and do things I had not been able to do for quite some time. Now the doctor I have been seeing was getting more and more irritated and rude with each passing year. I had to sign a contract subjecting myself to drug tests, pill counts, and I had to agree to not use any other narcotic pain medication even if prescribed by another doctor without his approval. I went along with this because the medication was so helpful and life altering I thought it was a small price to pay. Now for five years I had no problems until recently when one of my lab test showed another medication he did not prescribe. I was mad, upset, confused, I could not understand how this happened I had only taken what was prescribed and nothing else. I talked to the doctor and explained that I had taken only what he prescribed and thatís IT! Sorry rules are rules and he showed me the door and reminded me that I signed the contract and rules are rules. I finally convinced the doctor to have the sample tested again and to tell the lab to save what was left of the sample so I could send it to another lab for testing if necessary. The doctors office called me ten days later to advise me that the second test came out the same and I was no longer a patient of the clinic and good luck finding another doctor. Now Iím angry so I called the lab to see if they could help me. The lab technician I spoke to said that only one test was done and not two as the doctor had told me and the remains of my sample were discarded. I then asked what would cause this medication to show up in the test, she then asked if had been sick at the time of the test. I told her that while waiting for the results I had to go to the hospital and I had been diagnosed with a kidney infection, blood in my urine, three large kidney stones, and bacteria was found in my liver. She then told me that that would affect the results and another test should be done. I called the doctors office to tell him what I found out and he said he did not care what the lab said the test showed a medication he did not prescribe and that that. Now here I am quickly running out of meds having trouble finding a pain doctor that will help me. I live in Western North Carolina and I'm close enough to Atlanta,Charlotte,Asheville,Knoxville,an d Chattanooga TN. If any one knows of a good pain doctor in any of the cities I mentioned please contact me. Thank you for your time

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2009, 05:35 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User
Re: Back Pain and pain managenent

I have no clue - but I am going to give this a bump up to the top. Most people with test problems have the opposite problem where the medication they are supposed to be taking doesn't show up in the test. Good luck.

Last edited by PNo; 03-14-2009 at 05:36 PM.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
(male)

ArmyVet2004 HB User

HI Flyboy57,

I live in Marietta, GA just north of Atlanta. I have seen a good Dr. here, his name is Dr David Gale and he belongs to the Pain Solutions Treatment Centers their address and phone number are below. Good luck! I hope you find a doctor soon
Suite 130
55 Whitcher Street North East, Marietta, GA 30060
(770) 590-1078
He also has an office in Woodstock, GE

Old 03-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
(female)

7165ed HB User

I really feel for you, I have chronic pain and need my meds. I hope you find a good Dr. soon.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
(female)

naneekat HB User

Good luck to anyone who is on oxycodone! Thanks to the FDA, they are limiting the amount of this to all pharmacies. I have been on this drug for many years, and when I went to get this months refill I was told they were out of it. They had no idea when they would get any or how much they would get. I then called about 25 other drug stores and I got the same thing. They say the FDA is cracking down on the use of this drug. With no regard to those of us who truly need it for pain. What are we going to do..I take the 30mg.too.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

The FDA does not have anything to do with Pharmacies filling Oxycodone. There are individual state and DEA regulations/laws that each person should verify along with their Dr. to make sure they are staying under guidelines..Florida is one of the states that have some very strict laws due to all the abuse and pill mills..

But I have been on Oxycodone for years and have absolutely no trouble getting my prescriptions filled at Sam's club.

The key is that if someone is on only a short acting medication for more than a few months...this is what raises red flags to the state or DEA in that most Drs. will move their patients over to a long acting medication for chronic pain and then have a short acting one for breakthrough..

So, if someone is on a large amount of short acting medication for chronic pain and not acute pain....then this is where some of the problems lay.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
(female)

naneekat HB User
Smile Re: Back Pain and pain managenent

I agree with what you stated and I knew that. I have been on this medicine and went through many others, to get to this point. I also have had the 50mg. Fentanyl patch. I stopped the patch because the side effects did not out weigh the benefit for me. They just did nothing for me. I have been to pain docs, went through those injections and they were useless also. I am 61,and I have very bad osteo with blown disc, and went through nerve conductive series, where they identified the nerves in my back and neck that were also a part of the problem. I do not care if the state shuts down everyone of those pill mills with cars from every state in the union parked in front! Those people who abused the medicine are the reason for people who really need it are now having a problem. That is what I resent, and has upset me.My drug store that I have been using forever told me last night, that I could probably get it tomorrow, and the pharmacist said he was not even suppose to tell me that over the phone! But if I cannot get it I will go to my doc and discuss another drug. It was time for a change anyway. After being on it so long you become so tolerant that it stops being affective. I am at the highest mg. So something will be worked out I am sure I was just so upset afraid of going into withdrawal and whatever else that could happen to me I panicked! I already have severe lung disease, so I don't have much in me to fight the establishment! I just know I take my meds correctly, and I do not abuse them in any manner. I just see this as one more sneaky sly way of big brother exerting more power and control over our daily lives. Thanks for listening to a member of the thrown away generation..

Old 10-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Here in texas i was told by a new PM dr that he could not give 2 long acting opoids but one long acting and one short acting. If two long acting and no short acting would raise a red flag. I never wanted short acting @ all.

Last edited by gmak; 10-08-2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: misspelling

Old 10-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
(female)

naneekat HB User

Yeah I know! It just makes it so hard for those of us who are legit and need our med! I would never think about doing anything wrong with my med. I see my doc this week, and we will discuss the problems I don't want to have a hassle every month trying to get it filled. I am thinking of changing types. I think I have a tolerance to this one now It does not seem to work. Hope you are doing well.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:15 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by naneekat View Post
Yeah I know! It just makes it so hard for those of us who are legit and need our med! I would never think about doing anything wrong with my med. I see my doc this week, and we will discuss the problems I don't want to have a hassle every month trying to get it filled. I am thinking of changing types. I think I have a tolerance to this one now It does not seem to work. Hope you are doing well.
Wrote my story on Share your pain management thread this morning. Title" i didnt know i was so blessed" I would love for you to read it. So, that we could talk more about this. I get a tummy ache just thinking about next appt. I hope and pray your dr appt goes well and you get med change. Feels like jumping thru hoops sometimes to me! Lol Hope you dont mind my asking but what is your pain caused by? Thank you for your thoughtfulness. Let me know. Aa- arachnoiditis is when the spinal nerves swell and scar tissue clumps them into the membrane that covers spinal cord causing cord to be stuck. Info just in case you find my thread and post in pain mgmt. Again look forward to hearing how it goes for you

Old 10-09-2012, 07:20 AM   #11
(female)

naneekat HB User

It is osteo,three bulging disc, and nerve damage in back and in my neck. I have many spasms in the back all day, everyday. And I think it is fibromyalgia too, for it just hurts all over. Even to be touched hurts. So I don't know what the doc gonna offer, but will let you know. Hope you are doing better.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naneekat View Post
It is osteo,three bulging disc, and nerve damage in back and in my neck. I have many spasms in the back all day, everyday. And I think it is fibromyalgia too, for it just hurts all over. Even to be touched hurts. So I don't know what the doc gonna offer, but will let you know. Hope you are doing better.
Im so sorry. I have osteo too. No hrt as i had a blood clot. I hurt but cannot imagine how much it hurts inside your heart to not be able to be touched! A cyber hug wont hurt so here is one from me!" H U G"! Lol Truly, let me know if i can do anything to help you. I pray that God heals & helps you. Fibro? I think it would be impossible to diagnose you as you see the trigger spots on your back, legs etc already hurt too much to determine that diagnosis. Yes, please let me know what the dr says.I hope he helps you get some kind of relief. God bless you. We will stay in touch. Thanks for your caring about me.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:22 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Dear naneekat, how was yor dr visit? Were they able to help you. I hope so. Still remembered your pain of not being able to be touched. Really wanted you to be helped @ your appt. Thanks, gmak

Old 10-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #14
(female)

naneekat HB User
Wink Re: Back Pain and pain managenent

I messed up my appt date, and I am going to leave in a few minutes to go there. So maybe he will change my medicine. We will see. Thanks for asking. How are you? Bye for now.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

Hope it goes well. Im sorry because i know how scary it is to depend on some dr for something that feels like life &death to you. Please let me know. I care .God bless you this day in your endeavors. Thaks, naneekat. Wishing & praying for best, gmak

Last edited by gmak; 10-26-2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: mistyping

Reply Reply