It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
(male)

X51 HB User
Question Rectal and Tailbone Pain~Perianal and Presacral Varicies

Hi, I'm new here.

I am a UC patient which for the most part is thankfully in remission. I have had an anal fissure in the past and according to my colorectal docs mild hemmies but lately I have been getting terrible rectal pain after a bm; the pain lasts for hours and I am using anucort hc suppositories and I can feel severe pain just as the suppository enters the sphincter...it feels like broken glass it hurts so bad! Anesthetic hemmie cream even when used with the long applicator tube does very little to nothing for the pain and I can feel the severe tenderness as I put the tube in (even very well lubed) the pain is about 1 inch in.

In addition to this my tailbone has been hurting for months now (I did not injure it) and the pain has just been happening more and more. I recently had an MRI for the tailbone pain and although it came back normal for the tailbone, it showed small varicies in the perirectal and presacral areas, which in most cases would be caused by Portal Hypertension, which is a very serious condition...my GI ordered a cat scan to rule out portal hypertension and thankfully it came back negative.

The interesting thing is my rectal and tailbone pain appear to be in the exact areas where the MRI showed varicies (varicies are veins that should not be there...kinda like varicose veins/hemmies). I asked my colorectal doc and my GI doc if these things are causing all my pain especially since they are right in the painful areas...they replied no and basically sent me on my way with the GI guy referencing the colorectal guy and the colorectal guy referencing the GI guy etc etc, leaving me with nothing. I keep telling these guys that my pain in the rectum can be brutal and they say from looking inside that it shouldn't be hurting me so bad, but never offer an explanation.

I decided that I needed to pursue a vascular surgeon that knows about these things (varicies) and when I called their receptionist was extremely knowledgeable and said that they treat hemmies and varicies all the time and these things could be pushing on a nerve which would really exacerbate the pain.

My rectal pain seems to be right at or before the anal sphincter which becomes very irritated by a normal soft but firm BM and I am wondering if anyone here has had this issue and what you did to treat it?

If the vascular doc cannot help then I'm off to the Mayo Clinic to find out what is going on...

Appreciate the input and thanks very much.

Last edited by X51; 07-05-2009 at 11:22 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
(female)

Nelee HB User
Re: Rectal and Tailbone Pain~Perianal and Presacral Varicies

Hi X51,
I broke my tail bone during childbirth 36 years ago. Now I'm having problems in that area.
I believe that any bowl movement in that area causes nerves to hurt a lot. Gosh, I don't know what to say. I'm in pain. I'll try to be more specific after my visit to a gastroenterologist on Wednesday.
There are sooo many things that can go wrong in that area. I just hope mine isn't Cancer. Talk to you later.
Nelee

Old 07-06-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
(male)

X51 HB User

Hi Nelee and thabnks for replying. I have UC and IBS so if God forbid you have gastro issue I can help you through my experiences. Hope things go well at the GI. Tell him/her that bowel issues and tailbone pain area common complaint by quite a few with bowel issue, perhaps he/she knows why?

Old 07-07-2009, 05:36 AM   #4
(female)

arabesque02 HB User

Sorry to hear about the pain.

Question for you. I have UC and currently have a fissure which is making my life miserable. Would you mind sharing how your fissure healed? I've done lots of research, but most fissure information is based on constipation (which is not my problem at all!)

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-08-2009, 11:42 PM   #5
(female)

beachlovr HB User

You all sound like you need to see a Pelvic Floor Physical Therapist. They do exist and can do wonders in helping alleviate pain in the pelvic floor. There is an awesome PFPT in San Francisco named Stephanie Prendergast. Look her up even if you don't live there so you can see the wonderful things that pelvic floor PT can do to help people with any pain in the whole pelvic area. There are other PFPT's around but they are not good. Try to find a recommendation. They can also help fissures heal by helping to relax the all the muscles down there. These types of treatments can help both women and men.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #6
(male)

X51 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachlovr View Post
You all sound like you need to see a Pelvic Floor Physical Therapist. They do exist and can do wonders in helping alleviate pain in the pelvic floor. There is an awesome PFPT in San Francisco named Stephanie Prendergast. Look her up even if you don't live there so you can see the wonderful things that pelvic floor PT can do to help people with any pain in the whole pelvic area. There are other PFPT's around but they are not good. Try to find a recommendation. They can also help fissures heal by helping to relax the all the muscles down there. These types of treatments can help both women and men.
Can this help with tailbone pain?

Old 07-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
(male)

X51 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabesque02 View Post
Sorry to hear about the pain.

Question for you. I have UC and currently have a fissure which is making my life miserable. Would you mind sharing how your fissure healed? I've done lots of research, but most fissure information is based on constipation (which is not my problem at all!)

Thanks in advance!
Does your fissure hurt when sitting more than when standing?

Old 07-26-2009, 09:08 PM   #8
(female)

beachlovr HB User

Yes, this can help with tailbone pain too.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:01 AM   #9
(female)

lindahitch HB User

Your problem sounds similar to mine. Any updates since you last posted?

Old 07-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
(male)

X51 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindahitch View Post
Your problem sounds similar to mine. Any updates since you last posted?
I have had internal pelvic floor PT in Oct of 2009 which helped the rectal and tailbone a bit. I just started external pelvic floor PT last week and they found the joint in between my coccyx and sacrum is in spasm. I have learned that I have an acetabular labral tear and detachment in my right hip which may be (The Good Lord willing) be causing all my pelvic floor issues causing inflammation and the surrounding muscle to spasm thus compressing the pudendal nerve(s). I am going to have this repair done by Marc Philippon in Vale who is the nation's leading MD for hip tears.

On another note I had a lumbar epidural injection of cortisone (Depo Medrol) which pierced my dura and contaminated my spinal fluid with Depo Medrol; this stuff has benzyl alcohol in it and can lead to arachnoiditis which is an extremely painful spinal disorder causing one's nerves to stick together and or causes scaring in the spine. I was told the complication rate of these injections is only 5% which after much researching has proven not to be the case as its more like 15-20% as this dangerous complication is underreported.

We wary of anyone wanting to give an epidural injection for back pain as they can be VERY dangerous. You can Google the Burton report for more info.

Last edited by X51; 07-01-2010 at 03:43 PM.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #11
(female)

lindahitch HB User

I wish you well and free of pain with the repair. And thank you for the "heads up."

Old 07-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #12
(male)

X51 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindahitch View Post
I wish you well and free of pain with the repair. And thank you for the "heads up."
Thank you

Old 08-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #13
(female)

dragonflynow HB User

Hi X51,

I am glad you shared your pain.
I have similar pain like yours. I just had my colon surgery and a hamorrhoids surgery at the same time. 4 weeks after the surgery, I assume I have developed the IBS symptoms and the rectum pain. 2 weeks after that it becomes tailbone pain. The pain is exclusiating. No pain killer would stop it. It often starts when I lay down to sleep every nite now. It's throbing pain, coming from rectum or tailbone and going up, with feeling of pressure.

My surgent thinks the nerve pain is from my stress. That's all she can think of.

During the day, the pain starts in the morning after I eat the first meal. It starts to hurt for 2 hours, laying down doesn't help. I take pain killer during the day to keep my life normal.

Just last two days, the moucous surround my stool and the flesh blood surround my stool went away, but my body odor changed to sweating, sour smelling. My stool smells stronger. My rectum sometimes feels full but nothing come out when I go to bathroom.

Before the surgery, I often have bowel movements every 3 days. Now I have 3-4 bowel movements a day. Soft stool, sometimes dissolve in the toilet but never running diahrea. Combining the sharp rectum pain and the frequent BM, I assume I have IBS.

I don't have solution for you. I am going to try peppermint, antidepressant next. I did try a homeopathic medicine called ignatia amara 30c which reduces nervousness due to everyday stress. It seems to help with the nitely nerve pain. But not consistant result. I also use COLD sits bath to cool off my hamerrhoids and the nerve pain during the day after each BM, it seems to help.

Interesting to mention that my hemorrhoids surgery was for internal ones. But after the surgery, I developed external hemorrhoids, from one to 5. I went to see another hemorhoids clinic which uses Ultroid technology. My first procedure was yesterday and I don't know if it works for me. they said 95% success rate. I hope I am in that 95%. My hammerrhoids didn't shrink like everyone else said they had instantly. I still have the sharp tailbone pain last nite when I lay down to sleep. But I feel 20% less pain from previous nites.

Please share with me what you have learned so far to stop the nerve rectum and tailbone pain.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-04-2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 08-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #14
(male)

X51 HB User

It's really hard to know exactly what's going on but here are a few thoughts.

Your colon could be going into spasm so ask your gi for some Levsen; this drug works very well and normally within 30 mins.

You could have levator ani which is spasm of the levator and not only causes rectal pain but sometimes tailbone pain...you can try 5mgs of Valium for this and it too should work in about 30 mins or so. You can try lying on a heating pad and if this helps the tailbone it's a good indicator it's in spasm; it will not help with this as it's for smooth muscle spasm ie the colon

Another possibility is you could have piriformis issues, which PT can help.

Google pelvic floor disorders and read about some other causes.

I would try each of the meds I suggested individually for a few days to see which one helps.

I am not a physician just trying to help you.

Last edited by X51; 08-06-2010 at 12:38 PM.

Closed Thread